Crispi Briksdal GTX SF Boot Review, By Kyle Virgin

Chrisamx

FNG
Zamberlan 980s are my go to's. They are a little tight on the small toe but my feet have been happiest in them overall compared to the many other options ive tried. I have the 966s and they also feel great with the exception of getting heel blisters (i have pointy heels and this happens in lots of boots). I like the 966s enough that i'm going to have a boot fitter punch the heels back a little.

La Sportiva boots with the trango last fit well. I use the trango trk a lot when not needing the full support/stiffness of something like the zamberlan 980s.

Hoffman hunters work well for me too.
Thans so much for your help. I look forward to checking some of these out!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a relatively narrow heel with an average width toe box and forefoot. The Briksdal does a good job for my foot profile by having a similar geometry. The toe box is not as narrow as some mountaineering boots I've tried but the heel is comparable.

It's also worth noting that to me the Briksdal feels like it has a toe rocker. A lot of boots I've tried put the rocker towards the heel which I've never really been a fan of. During ascents it can make the hill feel steeper than it really is.

My old boots were a Salewa Raven Combi which they had quit making. The Crispi has a similar heel profile but definitely has more volume and a better profile in the toe. Loved both boots but I like the Crispi better.

Comparing the shape/profile to running shoes you may have had experience with:
Salomon Speedcross - similar heel width with a little more volume in the toe
Altra Lone Peak - similar heel width with much less volume in the toe
Hoka Speedgoat - probably the closest overall match

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really put the new boots through the ringer this weekend. We’re trying to be as ready as possible for my mom’s draw tag in August. Lots of miles, lots of water and they worked perfectly. Dry feet right up until I got cocky and wound up thigh deep crossing a tributary. Came out with a great dead head for a door prize.

15d0a7626d793c43f41064a153a25cb7.jpg

32cb0a9285494600853d8fc1afcaafe5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
One big improvement on the new version of the boots is with the tongue. The older design had too much material which tended to bunch up and acted as a funnel for water down into the boot.

The left boot you can see the excess material sticking out near the lace lock. The right boot is much more sleek when laced and doesn’t have any material sticking out.

63dac127ff4ec95ec02057fd28188077.jpg

Old style tongue.

a6a65576f99423da975ddd53f1d26bba.jpg

New style tongue.

70ee83511163eeeec13147bd3846a2f1.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolute trust in these boots when it counts. They’ve carried me through some nasty, no fall zone stuff lately.

e91867939cfbdbc1535064fc84d647d0.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m wanting a crispi with a wider toe box. Thoughts?

Best thing I could suggest would be to try on as many boots as possible. The newest version seem to have a slightly wider toe box than the original but I can’t say it would be considered wide by definition.

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
These are 200g of insulation right? How did they do in like the summer time? I wanna get a pair of the non SF but in 200g but am nervous about hot weather

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
These are 200g of insulation right? How did they do in like the summer time? I wanna get a pair of the non SF but in 200g but am nervous about hot weather

They’d be pretty warm for hot weather. Might be better of with the uninsulated.

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
They’d be pretty warm for hot weather. Might be better of with the uninsulated.

No I get that but I also want a boot I can hunt in mid to late season also. My biggest things is the experience that others had in warm weather from NI to 200g is not a lot

big fan of the Briksdal SF's as well good review. numerous sheep hunts and hundreds of miles on mine and they are still holding strong best sheep boot I've used personally. although unlike you Kyle I did have break in period with mine lasted about 10ish miles...