Crispi briksdal, zamberlan, other boots for narrow heels

atorres

FNG
I seem to have normal width forefoot and very narrow heels. I tried on a set of Zamberlan vioz this morning because I was told they are fairly tight in the heel but normal up front. Seemed to fit pretty well. I understand their backpacking last, the one in this boot, is pretty good at locking in a small heel. Considering getting their Outfitter or Wasatch due to experience this morning

Was also told that the Crispi Briksdal was similar. Narrow heel, normal forefoot. Does anyone have experience with either or both? I would love to know how they compare on width both up front and in back.

I know salewas and scarpas tend to work for narrow feet too. Sorta under the impression that that last from the Zamberlans is probably the tightest heel I'm gonna get without buying a designated "narrow" width boot. To clarify I don't think that will work for me, the Crispi Nevadas I have to try on are a little loose in the heel like normal but plenty tight in the forefoot. I think a narrow size will be too restrictive up front.

Any info on salewa or scarpa concerning this and compared to the zamberlan backpacking last welcome too. Thx

Braaap

WKR
I have a similar foot shape and have found success with several boots from Scarpa.

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
scarpa boots are pretty narrow heeled. I went through this whole process while gearing up for mountaineering trips, and my friends suggested scarpas.
They were way too narrow in the heel for me though.
But Scarpas are tough as nails from what I’ve seen. I wouldn’t hesitate to rock those if they fit.

Last edited:

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same type of foot. Started wearing LA Sportiva and have been very happy. Second up would be Lowas, but model specific.

I have a very similar foot shape and really wanted to make the Crispi Briksdal work...tried multiple sizes and in the end, the toebox just didn't work for me on downhills so I moved on. Seemed like an awesome boot though!

I've since settled on the Zamberlan Smilodon, which I believe is built on their ZWL (Zamberlan Wide Last). Other than some kind of weird support right in front of the heel cup that took some figuring out and break-in (supposed to keep that part of the foot from collapsing under heavy loads), I have really enjoyed them. The quality is evident and the design has been outstanding - very comfortable.

I've always had issues finding boots that truly fit well and can honestly say that this is the best so far. The system they use to lock the heel in is very effective and I haven't gotten any blisters or smashed toes so far, which is impressive considering they have a pretty stiff sole. I did swap the insoles for a pair of Currex running insoles, which helped the weird support area quite a bit. Something stiff like the Superfeet Carbon might work even better, but I'm happy for now.

Good luck in your search! It isn't quick, cheap, or fun to find a good fitting boot if you have an odd foot shape.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have big narrow feet and 6 pairs of Zamberlan boots. I used to wear vioz for light stuff and 981s when packing weight, now I just wear saguaros everywhere.

The cool thing about Zamberlans is that they last a long time. The leather upper will outlast a sole or two. If you only waterproof them with nikwax they are completely resolable. There's a cobbler in Seattle named Dave Page who's shop will redo your boots with OEM soles for $80.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
Like the Scarpa a lot from what I see and read but nowhere near me where I could try them. Hesitate to order them blind.

Tried a number of different boots, (used to be a Danner guy but their quality went to Asia) Crispi fit my narrow foot the best. Kenetrek fit the worst. We'll see in the next year or so with Crispi...

Braaap

WKR
I'd like to get my hands (feet?) on some Scarpas. Pretty darn hard to find in person! Might just have to order some the next time I'm in the market. Had no idea they were good for narrow heels.
I’ve had to order mine. Never seen them in a store.

LukiLanda

FNG
I seem to have normal width forefoot and very narrow heels. I tried on a set of Zamberlan vioz this morning because I was told they are fairly tight in the heel but normal up front. Seemed to fit pretty well. I understand their backpacking last, the one in this boot, is pretty good at locking in a small heel. Considering getting their Outfitter or Wasatch due to experience this morning

Was also told that the Crispi Briksdal was similar. Narrow heel, normal forefoot. Does anyone have experience with either or both? I would love to know how they compare on width both up front and in back.

I know salewas and scarpas tend to work for narrow feet too. Sorta under the impression that that last from the Zamberlans is probably the tightest heel I'm gonna get without buying a designated "narrow" width boot. To clarify I don't think that will work for me, the Crispi Nevadas I have to try on are a little loose in the heel like normal but plenty tight in the forefoot. I think a narrow size will be too restrictive up front.

Any info on salewa or scarpa concerning this and compared to the zamberlan backpacking last welcome too. Thx
I know this post is old. I have narrow feet and purchased Crispi Briksdal SF [Stiff Flex] GTX Insulated Hunting Boots. They are to stiff more me and caused blisters and ankle pain. I will be selling them.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Mammut Kento Guide. I too have a narrow heal and these boots have been a great.

EdP

WKR
My son has some Zamberlan hikers that fit his narrow feet very well. I tried some of their insulated boots made on their wide last and they didn't work for me and my feet are wider than my sons. I suggest you stay away from any of the Zamberlans made on their wide last if you have narrow heels. For hikers you might try Asolo.

ToolMann

WKR
I got the Crispi Valdres with are supposedly the same good shape as the Briksdal. Been great the last 2 years.

EdP

WKR
Not all Zamberlans are made on their wide last, but all of their insulated boots are, and that was what I was shopping for. They were beautifully made but just didn't work for my feet. I would not hesitate to try a hiking boot on their standard last.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same kinda foot with the narrow heel and previous tib-fib fracture on my left ankle...so I've been looking for a taller boot than I have now(Mammut Trovat)..and just went through 2 days of trying on every high end boot I could find.
Started out at Sportsman's Warehouse and ended up at Bakers boots in Eugene. I tried on so many boots I have blisters on both hands from tightening up the laces! I have to say, for my foot, nothing...and I mean nothing...could compare to the Zamberlan 980's for comfort and support! I threw a set of superfeet trailblazers in em and wow...great just went to superb!
I'm a happy dude right now! I know it's hard when you don't live close enough to a store that has all those options of boots, but it really is invaluable in the process of finding the right boot for you.

Last edited:

Hancock

FNG
I have the same kinda foot with the narrow heel and previous tib-fib fracture on my left ankle...so I've been looking for a taller boot than I have now(Mammut Trovat)..and just went through 2 days of trying on every high end boot I could find.
Started out at Sportsman's Warehouse and ended up at Bakers boots in Eugene. I tried on so many boots I have blisters on both hands from tightening up the laces! I have to say, for my foot, nothing...and I mean nothing...could compare to the Zamberlan 980's for comfort and support! I threw a set of superfeet trailblazers in em and wow...great just went to superb!
I'm a happy dude right now! I know it's hard when you don't live close enough to a store that has all those options of boots, but it really is invaluable in the process of finding the right boot for you.
Relative to every other boot you've worn before, did the 980's you settled on end up being a smaller size? If so, how much smaller?
I typically wear a comically small 8.5 in everything. I found the 980s on sale before Thanksgiving and got a pair in 8.5. Heel slip.
Sent those back and got a pair of 981s in 8. Had heel slip. According to Zamberlans site, the 981 fits more true to size and they don't recommend dropping a half size from normal.
Sent those back for a refund and found a pair of 980s in a size 8 on clearance with Midway. Got them in today. Heel slip. Not as much as the other pairs, but is noticeable enough I'm leery of them.
I'm starting to wonder if Zamberlan is going to work at all for me.
Other than the heel slip, the fit in the forefoot is great. Snug, but not tight. Excellent boot.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
Relative to every other boot you've worn before, did the 980's you settled on end up being a smaller size? If so, how much smaller?
From my research I was expecting to need a 10.5 in the Zamberlan. But the 11's were perfect. My foot is a little over 11 on the length. As far as the heel slip...it is all subjective to your individual foot. Some boots just don't work for a person. That's why I tried on as many different brands as I could. My previous boots were the Mammut Trovats. I had no idea that these were a very stiff boot because I had nothing to compare them to. The Crispi Thors(flex scale 4) seemed soft soled compared to the Trovats. The Trovats would be a 5 on Crispi's flex rating. My ankle injuries just did not like that stiff sole. I could hardly walk at the end of the day.
My previous go to comfortable boots were the Danner 452's & 453 gtx's. So comfortable...but soles only lasted a year.

Last edited: