Crispi Briskdal or Briksdal SF

Vandy321

WKR
I've decided on the Crispi Briskdal after about a mo th of reading boot reviews. I have slightly narrow feet, I love my semi stiff Asolo Fugitive, I like the 200g insulation vs a 400g and I really like a 9" full leather upper.

Reviews are lacking on the SF, the standard bridal seems to be a great all around boot.

My two current boots are the asolo fugitive (like them, but not for november) and the Salomon 4d 3 GTX (not waterproof, nor stiff enough...and too wide for my feet)

Needing a one boot fits all, or as close as I can get to it. Day hikes with the wife and dogs, early season above treeline, late season lower/milder terrain, and obviously cold.

Will the SF be too stiff for my needs? Is the standard Briksdal what I need? Is a 5 flex too stiff to be comfortable on flat ground or mellow day hikes?

Thoughts from anyone who's had both?

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Looking to order today if I can find some feedback on the stiffness between the two

Dude boots are such a subjective thing - what works well in one application for one person will not necessarily carry over to the next. To be fair you haven't even had the Briksdals on your feet yet - what if they don't work at all?

If it were me I'd order both and go from there. Unless you have a place nearby that carries them its probably the best way to do it.

Kotaman

WKR
For “all around” use, the regular Briksdal is the answer. If you’re going to be doing a bunch of sheep and goat hunts, the SF will be better. I agree with the above poster that if you can order both, do it and try them. To me neither of these boots are ultra stiff.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks, cant really afford to take a chance on both and actually wear both out in the field and have to end up losing $ on whatever pair doesnt work.

Sure, boots are subjective, but so is everything on this sight. Plenty of reviews put there for stuff, and plenty of good info to be gained from asking questions here. But like everything else, I agree, take it with a grain of salt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have been using the SF for about a year. Ow and really like them, they handle steep terrain with heavy loads well and have never given my feet any troubles. If I was getting a new boot today, I’d probably get the same thing.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I have been using the SF for about a year. Ow and really like them, they handle steep terrain with heavy loads well and have never given my feet any troubles. If I was getting a new boot today, I’d probably get the same thing.

Good to hear, thanks. Are they comfortable enough on the approaches and/or for more mild day hikes with the family too? I had a pair of Scarpa Grand Dru's that were awesome on steep stuff, but felt like I was walking in ski-boots on the flat stuff, I sold them immediately.

Anybody have a comparison of the Crispi to kennetrek mountain extreme? I'm thinking the Crispi SF could be a good replacement for my kennetreks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Good to hear, thanks. Are they comfortable enough on the approaches and/or for more mild day hikes with the family too? I had a pair of Scarpa Grand Dru's that were awesome on steep stuff, but felt like I was walking in ski-boots on the flat stuff, I sold them immediately.

I’ve had no problem using them for shorter day homes and things like that.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Well, I just ordered both, will post up my thoughts on the stiffness of the two. Really hoping for some thing stiff shank, but shy of a true mountaineering boot. Will know Wednesday.

Kotaman

WKR
Well, I just ordered both, will post up my thoughts on the stiffness of the two. Really hoping for some thing stiff shank, but shy of a true mountaineering boot. Will know Wednesday.

I think you'll find what you're looking for in one of these two. Keep us posted...

Well, if the SF's are your pick, you're size 11.5, and you want to return them both and buy a pair with less than 30 miles for half price... I'm your huckleberry.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Well, if the SF's are your pick, you're size 11.5, and you want to return them both and buy a pair with less than 30 miles for half price... I'm your huckleberry.

I'd take ya up on that just to have both pairs, but I'm a sz 10.

Mind if I ask what you didnt like about them?

They are almost perfect. Primary reason I don’t use them is I have some spurs on my heels that get rubbed pretty good with them. Considered having them stretched out because I like them so much otherwise.

I could do without the insulation too.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Got both boots, have been wearing them around all day, swapping off between the two, and even wearing one of each on each foot...walking my basement and hitting my stairs both with and without a 60lb pack.

Fantastic boot, both of them! My feet have never been so instantly comfortable in a boot. The Salomon 4d is close, but too wide and roomy for my foot and not nearly the stiffness/support I need.

For my first day in a Crispi boot, I'm a big fan. I have a narrow foot, I'm measured at a 10 C, low volume, high arch. I swapped to the green superfeet immediately and it helped pick up whatever extra volume was leftover. The width is great for my narrow foot, exactly what I needed.

Toe box still roomy enough to wear a liner and a darn tough full cushion sock. Did not need to use the extra eyelet to lock heel down, but nice to have the option. The lacing system is impressively designed.

Now, for the difference between the two. Big picture, there wasn't much noticable difference, at least for me. They were both very comfortable, I could have kept the SF and been completely happy with it. The flex in the sole is right at the ball of the foot, the forward rocker makes them easy to walk in on flat ground. I tried going up the stairs toes only on the stairs with my pack, honestly, not a ton of difference in the toe flex, but just enough to tell the SF is stiffer, obviously. I'm 5'10", sz 10 and weigh about 180...if I was closer to 200lbs in the same size boot, I may have tried another pair of SFs to get the right fit and go with the stiffer flex.

I honestly would have had a harder time deciding between the two had they both fit the exact same. Being handmade boots, there is always going to be some slight variance in size/volume...and for me, the this pair of SF's felt like they were a slightly larger boot on my feet than the regular flex. Both were size 10. It could have been in my mind, but either way, I ended up with the boot that was the best fit.

I would have been happy with either regular or stiff flex. The are both a nice, stiff, comfortable boot. For those counting ounces, the SF was 1.5 oz heavier on my food scale than the regular flex, in a size 10.

Hope this helps. I should be putting 15 miles on them between now and Saturday with a 50lb pack, I'll add any additional thoughts that come from that trip, but for now, extremely happy with the boot.

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Vandy231, Any update on the SF boot? I just picked up a pair yesterday. Right away they felt great walking around the store, but mountain time is different.

JoeDirt

WKR
Ive been wearing the standard Briskdal for two seasons. I have found them to be excellent for stiffness and boot weight. My feet are on the wide side so they're a little tight but thats ok for tough terrain. I also use the Super Feet hunt insoles and a different lacing pattern.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I sent the SF back, so I have no way to compare the two. Both boots Briksdal and the SF in the same size (10) fit different, the SF fit me a little looser, too loose, so I returned them.

I like the Briksdal though, its been stiff enough on some nasty stuff with a heavy pack, and my feet never complained on the more mellow stuff either. 75+ miles on them, they held up great so far, stayed waterproof, broke in nicely, etc. Time will tell, but I plan to wear them until they go.

Last edited:

Rokslider

FNG
How is the insulation on this boot? I’ve been considering this for an all year boot. I have the KUIU scarpa and I’m thinking the flex may be similar, but the Briksdal offers more structure in the ankle and a better rockered sole.