Crispi Colorado GTX-fantastic boots

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
3 months ago I decided it was time to retire my favorite, 12 yr old Lowa Tibets. Great boots with a number of resole/rebuilds on them, but they were done. I simply ordered a new pair, though once in hand, the new boots didn’t seem to be the same as the originals. The rubber rand material was lower on the boot/less protective and the overall construction felt less refined with a clumsy, blocky fit. I returned them and started the search for a new boot.

Short story is I bought Crispi CO GTXs after more trial-error with various brands and then a call to Crispi/purchase from Black Ovis. Not only was the customer service great from both companies, but the fit (8.5 Wide) they suggested was spot on. I’ve got almost 30 yrs with serious footwear coming from the mountaineering and running worlds, but now after almost 200 hiking miles with a 45lb MR pack, I can say these are the first out of the box comfortable, ready to go boots I’ve ever experienced. The rigid sole paired with the lighter, compliant upper is a great combination. Breathability has been great in the Florida summer heat and Smoky Mountains. Stability in the mountains is great without any heel or toe issues on ascent/descents. My standard morning hike is a 5mi loop in heavy wet grass. Absolutely waterproof (I use Sitka Ascent short gaiters) to date without any additional treatment. We‘ll see what happens in the mountains next month (SW MT archery elk) but this is a great start with new boots and far from my typically unpleasant experience with new footwear break-in. Those dudes at Black Ovis are squared away when it comes to footwear advice.

Last edited:

jjgrow

FNG
Interested in these boots as well. I know you said the size advice you received was spot on, in your experience, is the sizing true to your foot size? Also, do you feel there's room to accommodate an orthotic insert without putting too much pressure on the top of foot?

OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
I like a fairly snug, technical fit with a quality medium weight sock and based on that, yes, I’d say they're very true to size. I did add a set of Superfeet insoles to help support my high arches. I do that on all my shoes. There’s plenty of room for the Superfeet.

OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
I heard one of the guys from Crispi on a podcast after I had my boots and he suggested ordering a couple sizes at the same time to check fit if you’re unsure. That made sense to me. The guys at Black Ovis said I had 30 days to play with them at home indoors. (I think it was 30 days?) So, it seems they’re doing what they can to make things work for customers. $7-$8 in return shipping seemed a fair trade for the ability to check fit at home.

Seth

WKR
I made the same move from my trusted Tibet’s to a pair of Colorado’s this summer and couldn’t be happier! The fit was spot on and very comfortable out of the box. I’ve put on a lot of weighted pack miles prepping for a CO sheep hunt with zero issues. To echo the Blck Ovis comments, they put them in sale two weeks after I received my boots. One email and the sale price was honored.

OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, it's no wonder mega-retailers like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn etc are dying/dead when you can get such great gear and service from decent people like Black Ovis, S&S, Argali etc. These new niche retailers get it.