Crispi Colorado - Semi-live boot review

ktowncamo

WKR
Just a heads up for anyone waiting to get their feet into some of these new Colorado GTX. We were in Italy last week at the factory and we had a little hold up on production. We expect they are going to be in shops around mid April, rather than April 1 as anticipated before.

And to reply to Jordan's comment, she was the first person to get these for testing and review. Brian from HUSH has a pair and used them in Arizona. Not sure why they haven't posted about his experience in them yet, but we hope they will lend their thoughts. Brian from Gritty (Gritty Bowman) recently got a pair and he's been using them a bit. He's not over the top stoked about them, but he also doesn't like a stiff boot. So far, that's it for testing models this year. I and Justin with Crispi tested prototypes last summer and fall after working with Crispi to develop the boot concept in March 2018.

Hey, Jordan. Thanks for the insight. In your review, or when you get a minute could you offer a compare and contrast on your other crispi boots and the Colorado. You touched on it a bit in your video but I would be keen to know how you think the Colorado’s compare in terms of sole stiffness and overall suportiveness of the upper in particular. Thx

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, Jordan. Thanks for the insight. In your review, or when you get a minute could you offer a compare and contrast on your other crispi boots and the Colorado. You touched on it a bit in your video but I would be keen to know how you think the Colorado’s compare in terms of sole stiffness and overall suportiveness of the upper in particular. Thx

To me the Colorado’s are overall stiffer than the Thor. They are fairly both a 4 flex, but the additional support in the footbed over the Thor’s make them feel stiffer to me. Which I like. They feel just slightly less stiff than the Briksdal’s. Some of that I think is because they aren’t as narrow and mountaineering feeling as the Briksdal if that makes sense. There’s more support in the upper than the Thor. Which is expected as the Thor doesn’t have the ABSS in them. The Colorado will be tough to beat for me as “do it all” boot. The Briksdals are more boot than I’d want in the Midwest, but the boots like the Wyoming’s aren’t stiff enough for me in the west. The Colorado’s have good enough rocker and aren’t too loud for the Midwest, but I think they’ll be stiff enough and enough support for the rugged terrain and heavy weight. Hopefully that made sense. A lot of it is just the feel I get with them over other boots I’ve had on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
April seems optimistic. I was on their site last night and they're not even carrying common sizes in some of their more popular lines. Been that way for a very long time.

Have to check these out, I am wanting a good early season boot. I bought the tactical one for work really like them and they are holding up great.

6.5x284

WKR
Got an email they were in stock today at Black Ovis and Elk 101. Ordered them in 11.5, which it showed was in stock. Fingers crossed since I can't try any one around me that I know of!

OLI62

FNG
Got an email they were in stock today at Black Ovis and Elk 101. Ordered them in 11.5, which it showed was in stock. Fingers crossed since I can't try any one around me that I know of!
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a pair in 10.5 W from Black Ovis. Thinking these are going to be the ticket for my sheep hunt in the Yukon next year.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Called Black Ovis to ask how the Colorado compares to Tibet’s both in stiffness of the midsole/shank and the ankle support . “They are quite a bit stiffer...” was the response. Bought a pair.

Will post up my opinions once received.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Hey there! They just arrived and I thought I would add this for those that would want to know.

Before Crispi became big I bought every single hunting boot made in a wide and had them in my living room, comparing them, and nothing was wide enough except the Kenetrek boot, so I bought them.

Now having these side by side, the Crispi wide is identical to the Kenetrek.

Hopefully that helps some people out there.

c383eec0ae8c06f7ffac2beaf8117597.jpg
86846b3512d332f550d06534204d15d6.jpg
4a0f6e16b1195788a00f83304bbbead5.jpg

OLI62

FNG
Hey there! They just arrived and I thought I would add this for those that would want to know.

Before Crispi became big I bought every single hunting boot made in a wide and had them in my living room, comparing them, and nothing was wide enough except the Kenetrek boot, so I bought them.

Now having these side by side, the Crispi wide is identical to the Kenetrek.

Hopefully that helps some people out there.

c383eec0ae8c06f7ffac2beaf8117597.jpg
86846b3512d332f550d06534204d15d6.jpg
4a0f6e16b1195788a00f83304bbbead5.jpg

Magnum, any other initial impressions other than width assessment (which was helpful to me, thank you) ?

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I also have kenetreks, are they as stiff as them?
Thanks for any more first impression on them you can give us!!

prm

WKR
I have the Guide GTX insulated. I wanted the insulation for those colder rifle hunts. I found my feet don’t stay that much warmer overall than with my uninsulated Salomons due to the fact the Crispis don’t breathe as well and my feet stay damp. Though if I swap to dry socks my feet were fine.

Can anyone comment on how well the Colorado’s breathe, and Jordan perhaps you’ve tried these in the cold?

As for stiffness, the Guide is listed as a 3, while these a 4. Big difference?

Appreciate any insights.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Guide GTX insulated. I wanted the insulation for those colder rifle hunts. I found my feet don’t stay that much warmer overall than with my uninsulated Salomons due to the fact the Crispis don’t breathe as well and my feet stay damp. Though if I swap to dry socks my feet were fine.

Can anyone comment on how well the Colorado’s breathe, and Jordan perhaps you’ve tried these in the cold?

As for stiffness, the Guide is listed as a 3, while these a 4. Big difference?

Appreciate any insights.

I have been using them in colder weather. I’d say 20’s and up. Not for a long period of time though, maybe for a couple hours at the most. I’ve used them hard on a few backpack training hikes and I thought they breathed well. I wouldn’t say my socks were bone dry when I returned, they felt slightly damp but they weren’t wet. My leather kenetreks would roast my feet and they would be wet in the same conditions. I would personally want an insulated boot if it were going to be that chilly and I was staying out and hunting like usual. In my opinion, If your putting any exertion out it’s going to be tough to keep those feet really dry no matter how breathable they are.

But my feedback so far on the Colorado breathability is all positive.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Holy smokes! Thanks. Didn't think they could get any stiffer than the extremes, lol!
May go with the summit gtx

Haha. Yeah and they’ll stay stiffer too. My kenetreks would just stretch and lose the stiffness over time. Drove me nuts!

The Summits will be along the lines of the kenetreks. Probably slightly less stiff, especially if your comparing to a new set of extremes.