Crispi Colorado - Semi-live boot review

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
@OLI62 & @mnhoundman

I’m happy to give my impressions. I just didn’t want to step on Jordan’s work at all.

The first thing I noticed was the “ice skate height” feeling was gone compared to the Kenetrek. These feel like my old and trusty Meindl Canada’s that I had for 10 years but with a lot more attention to detail. Much more foot control to the ground.

I’m in the heart of LA and it was 70 yesterday and they were as cool as my workout shoes. Very happy about that. Seem to breath exceptionally.

One thing I should mention, I’m 6’2” 280 with about 18% body fat and with bad ankles. My size tends to find the excessive claims in boots very quickly because I run hot and I’ll test the ankle support near instantly with a bad foot placement on accident. From that - I can tell immediately that the ankle support in the Colorado’s will be equal or better to the Mountain Extremes, which is impressive to me.

The 2nd thing I noticed is these Colorado’s are light. Which immediately made me think, “These are perfect Chukar hunting boots.” And that’s a compliment. I grew up training pointers and chukar hunting west of Yakima and that country would shred boots following dogs all day and continuously pounding the mountain side, and we bumped a lot big Mulies out of beds when we were quite deep into the canyon. These are not going to get shredded - full confidence. The attention to detail in the boot and the materials used, and placed appropriately, is impressive. To give an image to visualize, these feel like the weight of cross trainers but with ultra durability and support.

Regarding stiffness - the flex is about par with my broken-in Mountain Extremes, maybe stiffer. It’s tough because the material is affecting that comparison with heavy leather vs a mixture of light material. So from that stand point I would lean stiffer in comparison to the Mountain Extremes. I love a stiff boot which is one of the reason I’m strongly considering the Crispi Hunters now after having the Colorado’s. The Mountain extremes are a nice boot but they broke in too much for me and they have a lot of flex everywhere - comfortable, no doubt.

Overall I’m very impressed with the Colorado’s . It’s an enjoyable experience when you spend this caliber of money on boots and you feel like you got more value than you paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OLI62

FNG
@OLI62 & @mnhoundman

I’m happy to give my impressions. I just didn’t want to step on Jordan’s work at all.

The first thing I noticed was the “ice skate height” feeling was gone compared to the Kenetrek. These feel like my old and trusty Meindl Canada’s that I had for 10 years but with a lot more attention to detail. Much more foot control to the ground.

I’m in the heart of LA and it was 70 yesterday and they were as cool as my workout shoes. Very happy about that. Seem to breath exceptionally.

One thing I should mention, I’m 6’2” 280 with about 18% body fat and with bad ankles. My size tends to find the excessive claims in boots very quickly because I run hot and I’ll test the ankle support near instantly with a bad foot placement on accident. From that - I can tell immediately that the ankle support in the Colorado’s will be equal or better to the Mountain Extremes, which is impressive to me.

The 2nd thing I noticed is these Colorado’s are light. Which immediately made me think, “These are perfect Chukar hunting boots.” And that’s a compliment. I grew up training pointers and chukar hunting west of Yakima and that country would shred boots following dogs all day and continuously pounding the mountain side, and we bumped a lot big Mulies out of beds when we were quite deep into the canyon. These are not going to get shredded - full confidence. The attention to detail in the boot and the materials used, and placed appropriately, is impressive. To give an image to visualize, these feel like the weight of cross trainers but with ultra durability and support.

Regarding stiffness - the flex is about par with my broken-in Mountain Extremes, maybe stiffer. It’s tough because the material is affecting that comparison with heavy leather vs a mixture of light material. So from that stand point I would lean stiffer in comparison to the Mountain Extremes. I love a stiff boot which is one of the reason I’m strongly considering the Crispi Hunters now after having the Colorado’s. The Mountain extremes are a nice boot but they broke in too much for me and they have a lot of flex everywhere - comfortable, no doubt.

Overall I’m very impressed with the Colorado’s . It’s an enjoyable experience when you spend this caliber of money on boots and you feel like you got more value than you paid for.

Again, very helpful! Thanks to you and Jordan. Mine should be here today; really looking forward to getting them now.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
@OLI62 Full transparency - I always replace insoles. The ones supplied were OK but were the typical "you should really replace me" quality.

I’ll either take these to Malibu or the Mountains this weekend and have more information. Great spots that people rarely go. ~2000ft elevation in a few miles - great workouts. They’re actually mentioned in a recent Mule Deer Book. It was fun to read that.
af1e5cd60fe7ade0bb30fb5f3066adcd.jpg
aafedcf5ea4b8cb00898283191203b98.jpg

I hope you enjoy them as much as I am. We're only on this earth for a short time. If we don't help one another, life is going to be rough.

prm

WKR
Look forward to hearing what you think. Are they crazy stiff, or just stiff in a good, heavy pack supportive way? I’m quite happy hiking some nasty country in my Salomons with Superfeet insoles, but if I have to haul a bull out by myself this year it’s going to be rough to say the least. My feet need to be able to survive probably three, worst case four, round trips of ~5mi each way at 10-12k’. Thinking a more supportive platform will be helpful.

Edit: CO 1st rifle. Some years it’s warm, last year, $&@! Cold!

Last edited:

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Look forward to hearing what you think. Are they crazy stiff, or just stiff in a good, heavy pack supportive way? I’m quite happy hiking some nasty country in my Salomons with Superfeet insoles, but if I have to haul a bull out by myself this year it’s going to be rough to say the least. My feet need to be able to survive probably three, worst case four, round trips of ~5mi each way at 10-12k’. Thinking a more supportive platform will be helpful.

They’re stiff in a good way. I’ve been wearing them all day. I’m having to really hold back on how happy I am with them so far. I need hill-time to really “know.”

Reactions: prm

6.5x284

WKR
First impressions are very good. Three things immediately jump out at me.

1) best rocker design/feel I’ve ever felt on a stiffer class of boot

2) not as stiff as I want/was expecting. I’m used to a Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX and these are nowhere close to that level of stiffness. Definitely feel flex and visible bend when toeing and edging into the hill with full body weight on the toe.

3) These boots are LIGHT!

I think they will be awesome for archery elk up to about November for 99% of what I do. If these came in a 5 or a better yet a 6 flex I would be in heaven.

Overall very impressed. Just wasn’t used to their flex scale and would like a bit stiffer. Obviously that’s subjective. I think they will sell a lot of these.

Last edited:

OLI62

FNG
prm, mine came in and let me preface my answer to your question by letting you know that my Guide GTX's are the insulated version. With that said, and after trying on both boots to compare, the width and toe box on the Colorado's feels almost identical to my Guide's. There is a bit more room in the toe box with the Colorado's but I think that can be attributed mostly to the slight internal volume decrease with the insulation in the Guide's.

So far I would say everyone's comments on these have been spot on. My initial reaction to these is that they feel pretty damn amazing. LIGHT, just the right amount of stiffness, and absolutely the rocker design/feel is the best I've felt as well. The ABSS in these is also a welcome addition and the reason I've never pulled the trigger on a pair of Thor's. I've compared them to my Tibet's (boots I have a love/hate relationship with) and they are quite a bit stiffer, have a little more give on the width and feel infinitely more comfortable.

I don't want too get to worked up about them yet without any trail/hunting time, but so far i'm extremely pleased and optimistic about these boots.

Don't know if it will help but here's some pic's of the Colorado next to the Guide...

...and next to the Tibet's

** Edited my above post. Should have said slight internal volume decrease with insulation in the Guide's not increase.

Last edited:

Joonyer

FNG
I'm looking for a boot that can handle the steep stuff with a heavy pack but is comfortable for days on the trail too. I have no doubt the Colorado's can handle the steep, but has anyone put enough trail miles on them to say whether they are too stiff for long trail hikes? I'm debating between these and the Wyomings. Thanks.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a boot that can handle the steep stuff with a heavy pack but is comfortable for days on the trail too. I have no doubt the Colorado's can handle the steep, but has anyone put enough trail miles on them to say whether they are too stiff for long trail hikes? I'm debating between these and the Wyomings. Thanks.

I just jumped back in the rig after going this morning with 40lbs in a pack. The Colorado’s can do what you’re wanting. I’ll put up my experiences as soon as I get home but I’m glad I waited for these. That 3 Flex rating would be worthless to me.

6.5x284

WKR

Definitely not too stiff for trail use.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Hike #1 Feedback

—Up hill—

Zero heel slip. The boot wraps your foot very well with very little movement while still being comfortable. Never overheated, the boot breathes VERY well. I chose to take it to the warmer temps and the rock first. I had Ingini liners and a very light pair of smart wool socks.

—Down hill—

No toe pain, no hot spots and I can say now that after doing this exact hike with my Kenetreks, previously, my feet don’t even have 1/3 of the typical aches I usually do after finishing a hike.

— Highlights—

The sole - is a big surprise to me. Whatever it’s made of it flat grips everything and holds. This gave me a lot of confidence today in places where I typically feel like I need to focus more to avoid a stupid injury.

Stiffness- the photos below are of the majority of my 280 frame and a semi loaded pack pushing off to show any flex.

b7ca8b57b5b16ca20e6c3c5522642dc1.jpg
f951d6cb4814b48a13e76d34cdb5b09d.jpg
2315211ee4041afffdeb379f1ae573fb.jpg

I’m sure they’re not perfect. I just wanted to try and show something as a visual.

Typically I move into ~80lb water loads in the summer for workouts and I would have full confidence in these handling that and coming back for more.

Weight - These things are incredibly light. They just don’t feel like you have a boot on.

###

Some items to know for comparison - I have picky feet. They typically will find the worst of a boot very quickly and I always swap the foot beds to something more fitted.

From that, I can transparently say that these are the best boots I’ve ever purchased. Time will form some more opinions but after trying Meindl, Zamberlan, all of the Schnee’s, Kenetrek, Lowa (I have not tried Hanwag, Lathrops New Mtn boot, or KUIU’s partnerships) these Crispis are impressive.

@Jordan Budd My lady fought her Kenetrek Mountain Extremes all morning. If you have a moment I would appreciate some guidance for her and getting some summits ordered.

I hope this was helpful in some way.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I used them during 3 weekends of shows this year on concrete. They did awesome, they are more comfortable than I thought they would be on flat terrain.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
oo
Hike #1 Feedback

—Up hill—

Zero heel slip. The boot wraps your foot very well with very little movement while still being comfortable. Never overheated, the boot breathes VERY well. I chose to take it to the warmer temps and the rock first. I had Ingini liners and a very light pair of smart wool socks.

—Down hill—

No toe pain, no hot spots and I can say now that after doing this exact hike with my Kenetreks, previously, my feet don’t even have 1/3 of the typical aches I usually do after finishing a hike.

— Highlights—

The sole - is a big surprise to me. Whatever it’s made of it flat grips everything and holds. This gave me a lot of confidence today in places where I typically feel like I need to focus more to avoid a stupid injury.

Stiffness- the photos below are of the majority of my 280 frame and a semi loaded pack pushing off to show any flex.

b7ca8b57b5b16ca20e6c3c5522642dc1.jpg
f951d6cb4814b48a13e76d34cdb5b09d.jpg
2315211ee4041afffdeb379f1ae573fb.jpg

I’m sure they’re not perfect. I just wanted to try and show something as a visual.

Typically I move into ~80lb water loads in the summer for workouts and I would have full confidence in these handling that and coming back for more.

Weight - These things are incredibly light. They just don’t feel like you have a boot on.

###

Some items to know for comparison - I have picky feet. They typically will find the worst of a boot very quickly and I always swap the foot beds to something more fitted.

From that, I can transparently say that these are the best boots I’ve ever purchased. Time will form some more opinions but after trying Meindl, Zamberlan, all of the Schnee’s, Kenetrek, Lowa (I have not tried Hanwag, Lathrops New Mtn boot, or KUIU’s partnerships) these Crispis are impressive.

@Jordan Budd My lady fought her Kenetrek Mountain Extremes all morning. If you have a moment I would appreciate some guidance for her and getting some summits ordered.

I hope this was helpful in some way.

I think the Summits would be a great option. I had troubles with heel slip in my kenetreks also. Seems like they would stretch and I could never keep them laced up tight enough. Let me know if there’s anything specific you’d like me to input on

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
@Jordan Budd That’s exactly what’s happening to her. We’ve been alternating multiple heel-lock lacing techniques with them and they just seem to never dial in.

My only concern in durability with the Summits. I’m very gun shy of light footwear because my weight tends to eat them flat.

She’s 145lbs and her typical pack weight is 30-40lbs when she’s out with me.

Any thoughts or perspective from your experience?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Jordan Budd That’s exactly what’s happening to her. We’ve been alternating multiple heel-lock lacing techniques with them and they just seem to never dial in.

My only concern in durability with the Summits. I’m very gun shy of light footwear because my weight tends to eat them flat.

She’s 145lbs and her typical pack weight is 30-40lbs when she’s out with me.

Any thoughts or perspective from your experience?

What helped me a ton was better lacing points. The lacing and locking eyelets like those on some of the Crispis were the game changer for me. That locking eyelet that sits further down and back out of line with the rest really works well for locking the ankle into place. The Thor’s were the only boots so far I’ve used from Crispi that I didn’t like the the lacing system on.

I wouldn’t worry about the durability so much. I have multiple guiding friends that run the Summits pretty hard and they love them. Plus she’s light, I wouldn’t worry much about durability.

GPool1842

WKR
Good thread. Thanks for starting this one, Jordan. For anyone wondering about sizing, I got my normal Crispi size and they were perfect. Went from the crossover pro light to the new Colorado. Excited to test them this weekend!