Crispi Colorado - Semi-live boot review

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Went to Scheels and picked up the summits, didn't have the Colorado's. They feel awesome though!!

Mudd Foot

WKR
Hike #1 Feedback

—Up hill—

Zero heel slip. The boot wraps your foot very well with very little movement while still being comfortable. Never overheated, the boot breathes VERY well. I chose to take it to the warmer temps and the rock first. I had Ingini liners and a very light pair of smart wool socks.

—Down hill—

No toe pain, no hot spots and I can say now that after doing this exact hike with my Kenetreks, previously, my feet don’t even have 1/3 of the typical aches I usually do after finishing a hike.

— Highlights—

The sole - is a big surprise to me. Whatever it’s made of it flat grips everything and holds. This gave me a lot of confidence today in places where I typically feel like I need to focus more to avoid a stupid injury.

Stiffness- the photos below are of the majority of my 280 frame and a semi loaded pack pushing off to show any flex.

b7ca8b57b5b16ca20e6c3c5522642dc1.jpg
f951d6cb4814b48a13e76d34cdb5b09d.jpg
2315211ee4041afffdeb379f1ae573fb.jpg

I’m sure they’re not perfect. I just wanted to try and show something as a visual.

Typically I move into ~80lb water loads in the summer for workouts and I would have full confidence in these handling that and coming back for more.

Weight - These things are incredibly light. They just don’t feel like you have a boot on.

###

Some items to know for comparison - I have picky feet. They typically will find the worst of a boot very quickly and I always swap the foot beds to something more fitted.

From that, I can transparently say that these are the best boots I’ve ever purchased. Time will form some more opinions but after trying Meindl, Zamberlan, all of the Schnee’s, Kenetrek, Lowa (I have not tried Hanwag, Lathrops New Mtn boot, or KUIU’s partnerships) these Crispis are impressive.

@Jordan Budd My lady fought her Kenetrek Mountain Extremes all morning. If you have a moment I would appreciate some guidance for her and getting some summits ordered.

I hope this was helpful in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine arrived today. Agree with Magnum’s assessment. The weight makes my Lowa Tibets feel like slippers. Stiffness is accurate. Very impressed, and very glad I pulled the trigger.

Whistler

FNG
Mine arrived today. Agree with Magnum’s assessment. The weight makes my Lowa Tibets feel like slippers. Stiffness is accurate. Very impressed, and very glad I pulled the trigger.

If I wear a 10.5 in my brooks running shoe what size would you purchase in the Colorado’s ?

Whistler

FNG
I wear the same size Brooks running shoe as Crispi boot.
Never felt you needed a half size up to make sure your toes didn’t hit the end coming down the mountain with a load? I now have a lowa ticam 2 in size 11 is why I ask. It feels maybe a hair big, but overall size on that lowa is pretty good. Not sure if other guys have found the lowa to be a bit small or not. Just trying to get the size right the first time thanks!

Mudd Foot

WKR
If it helps... my preference is to always size up a half, but primarily for accommodating width from the ball through the fifth metatarsal. Am a mid E in my left foot according to my Volumetrics eval. Right is a low end D. Sizing up a half works better for me that purchasing Wide, as it is then sloppy on my right.

This philosophy has proven true for multiple pairs of Lowa Rangers and Tibets. I need the half size larger as their fit is similar to my street, approach, and running shoe experiences.

The Colorado’s in the same size as the Lowas, run ever-so-slightly wider than the above Lowa’s. The volume (height measurement across ball and instep) is also greater than the Lowa’s. The volume was noticeable immediately straight out of the box. By no means sloppy, just more volume to move toes and forefoot.

prm

WKR
Never felt you needed a half size up to make sure your toes didn’t hit the end coming down the mountain with a load? I now have a lowa ticam 2 in size 11 is why I ask. It feels maybe a hair big, but overall size on that lowa is pretty good. Not sure if other guys have found the lowa to be a bit small or not. Just trying to get the size right the first time thanks!

Just to test it, I put a Brooks Adrenaline on one foot and a Crispi Guide on the other wearing the same socks. The Crispi is clearly larger and has more room for the toes. My big toe is definitely more cramped in the Brooks. They would probably feel about the same if wearing a running sock with the Brooks and a thin wicking sock and wool sock in the Crispi. I also reversed it just in case my feet were slightly different.

Edit: if I were to size up the Crispi it would cause my foot to slip around and create hot spots.

Last edited:

6.5x284

WKR
If I wear a 10.5 in my brooks running shoe what size would you purchase in the Colorado’s ?

I wear a 11 in the Brooks Ghost 10 and a 11.5 Crispi Colorado for what it’s worth. I personally wouldn’t want an 11 in the boot but that’s subjective. I wear thin running socks in Brooks and thin darn tough merino socks in the Crispi’s.

Whistler

FNG
I wear a 11 in the Brooks Ghost 10 and a 11.5 Crispi Colorado for what it’s worth. I personally wouldn’t want an 11 in the boot but that’s subjective. I wear thin running socks in Brooks and thin darn tough merino socks in the Crispi’s.

Whistler

FNG
Didn’t mean to copy that, stupid phone. Sounds like some mixed reviews on the sizing. I know cramped toes in a boot is not good. No where around me to try on crispi.

6.5x284

WKR
Didn’t mean to copy that, stupid phone. Sounds like some mixed reviews on the sizing. I know cramped toes in a boot is not good. No where around me to try on crispi.

I called elk 101 before buying and asked what I could do to try them out with them still taking a return and they said I could wear em on the treadmill and get some time in as long as tags were attached and boots still clean. May be a route to go and verify and worst case out shipping one way to return for a different size. I had free shipping when I ordered. But I hear you I had no where local and just decided to buy a size I thought was in the middle so I could gauge up or down if needed. Good luck!

prm

WKR
First impression:
Shipping. The last order I had with Black Ovis was painfully slow to arrive. Took nearly two weeks. Most of that time with FedEx. This delivery was very timely. Good start.

Fit and finish is excellent. It’s a really fantastic looking boot. It feels relatively light. Certainly feels lighter than my Guides, and is at 1lb 9oz quite a bit lighter than the 2lb Guides. The COs are only 2-3 Oz heavier than my Salomon Quest which these are potentially replacing for a Mtn hunt.
The initial feel was very good. Very consistent pressure around my foot. The lace locks work well to get the desired feel in the forefoot vs. the ankle area. I ordered these the same size as my Guides and the fit was perfect. I did notice the CO has a little more room in the toe box than the Guide. The Guide has a little pressure around my foot at the base of my toes, even from the top. The CO does not.

When first walking in them there is a feeling of lateral instability. That seemed to get better after a quick couple mile hike. The tread is much narrower than the Salomons so it doesn’t feel as well planted on hard surfaces. I also compared to my Guides and they are the same width as the COs but I don’t have the same rocking feeling with those. But again, after a few miles on them I didn’t notice it so much, and of course never noticed it on softer soils. There were no issues at all during the walk. I had 30+ pounds in a pack and the feet felt great on level, and on steep up and down hills. No jammed toes on the steep downhills. They were not as stiff as I anticipated. In fact, I thought they felt quite good even walking on level, hard surfaces. I took a quick detour off to some very steep slopes and they dug in easily and supported the foot quite well. They are stiffer than the Salomons, and that extra support when under a pack is what I’m looking for. Breathability seemed fine. Hard to come to too many conclusions on one short hike, but being in the 60s my feet were of course warm but felt fine. For what it’s worth I was wearing Darn Tough socks. I think they are the ones intended for warmer conditions. They still felt good on my feet afterwards. Throughout the hike I had the sensation of support under the ball of my foot. Interestingly there is no bulge in the boot and nothing on the insole. It wasn’t a negative feeling, just something I noticed. I decided to try my Superfeet Hunt insoles. Not out of necessity, just curious. All I can say is Bliss. My first thought was why don’t boot manufacturers include this in their boot. But with everyone’s feet being so different I can see why they leave that to the consumer.

With new boots, I’m always of the hope for the best, but expect the worst mindset. Rarely do I find a boot that leaves me with no questions or concerns. So far, I have no concerns with these Crispi Colorado’s. With the addition of the Superfeet, I might even be a bit giddy about these.

Last edited:
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may have to try the hunt insoles. I threw my guides in the other day after only using the factory insoles. I feel they fill the heel portion too much and I can’t get my heel seated in good. I think it’ll be an issue after going a ways for heel slip.

It’s interesting because for my Briksdal’s the factory insoles has treated me the best. The guide insoles have worked well for every other pair of crispis ive had. Although most were a 3 flex. May try the hunts and the oranges.

Whistler

FNG
Sure did buy the same size.
Prm - have you ever had a lowa boot to compare sizes to with the Colorado ? I know I tried Salomon quests in 10.5 and would of needed an 11. Most of my Danners though are 11 as well as my lowa boot. Tennis shoes like brooks I’m a 10.5. Boots are tough thing not being able to try on. Just going to have to take my shot with one of the sizes.