Crispi Colorado - Semi-live boot review

prm

WKR
Never had a Lowa. I wear the same size in the Brooks Adrenaline running shoe, Salomon Quest and Crispi, both Guide and Colorado. Going up a half to 11 would be the safer bet if you felt the 11was better in the Salomon.

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding my size, using the Kenetrek printable chart, I am a 8.5 wide. This matches my usual size in New Balance shoes.

I have a pair of Lowa Bighorns in 9 regular which fits snug but not overly tight width wise and length is good. I have about 10 treadmill miles on these.

I have tried Lowa Baldo and Tibets in 9 regular which were too tight and returned. I had gotten the regular width due to the bighorns.

The Colorado's were purchased in 9 wide which seem to be a great fit. Walking around the house I have no heal slip and I can tighten nicely around the foot. I had just gotten off my treadmill wearing the bighorns when Fedex dropped off the Colordos, these were so much lighter from the bighorns in comparison. First impression is very positive.

These are the first "real" boots I have gotten in 20 years. I have been using cheap 5.11 and Danners since most of my outdoor adventures are usually fishing and short hikes to said lake.

I am amazed at the differences good boots make.

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
Is any one having any weird heel pressure from these? Received my order 2 days ago. The 1st day I Wore them around the house all day including Going up and down stairs. Everything felt great, Honestly the most comfortable off the shelf boots I’ve ever tried on. Took them on a steep hike the second day and in the left boot I have a weird fairly painful heel pressure problem. My heel isn’t slipping and is being held in place but seems to have a awful pressure point at the rubber rand seam. I tried relacing, removing the insole and even replaced the insole with the green super feet I usually run. It only happens in the one boot when going up hill.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Purchased mine 4/19, in size 9.5. These are my first boots of this category, and I intend to
use them for archery this hunting season.
Tested them out at my local two mile outdoor archery course that is situated in the side of a granite hillside. The boots really remind me of my ski boots on how well they lock your heel in place. It was just over 30 degrees today and I wore a medium thickness smartwool sock. The combination regulated my foot temperature perfectly. The boot grips extremely well on rock and in mud. Felt confident shooting in them as well, they have a really solid base with the stiffer flex. I haven’t had any discomfort in my heel unless my sock wasn’t situated correctly. Really enjoyed the boots so much it was hard for me to take them off when I returned home.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I'm think I may have to give these a shot.

Happy to see they come in a size 14.

I've been wearing the Cabelas Meindl Denalli, but sadly they've discontinued them.

I've never had a pair of 'short' boots before, but I think I'm going to buy some of these and a pair of gaiters. Being my height, most of my pants will ride up pretty bad and I figured gaiter would help there in the cold.

Was going to try some of the Quest 4ds until i ran across these.

OLI62

FNG
Just had a chance to run my Colorado's for a seven day hunt in New Zealand and I have to say these boots continue to impress. My original intention wasn't to use them since I haven't had a chance to really break them in. Said what the hell when I got there and decided to give them a go for the first day just to see if I would find any potential problem areas with my feet. Well, I had none and ended up wearing them the whole seven days.

No heel slip. Good waterproofness. Excellent lateral ankle support. No really heavy loads ,but I did pack a cull fallow doe and a couple of feral goats up some steep inclines and the stiff flex felt just about perfect. I'll definitely be running these in the Yukon next year on my sheep hunt.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just had a chance to run my Colorado's for a seven day hunt in New Zealand and I have to say these boots continue to impress. My original intention wasn't to use them since I haven't had a chance to really break them in. Said what the hell when I got there and decided to give them a go for the first day just to see if I would find any potential problem areas with my feet. Well, I had none and ended up wearing them the whole seven days.

No heel slip. Good waterproofness. Excellent lateral ankle support. No really heavy loads ,but I did pack a cull fallow doe and a couple of feral goats up some steep inclines and the stiff flex felt just about perfect. I'll definitely be running these in the Yukon next year on my sheep hunt.

Thank you for the input! I’m having a slight hard time writing this article because I really don’t have any dislikes with the Colorado yet.. they’ve really been a go to boot for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got mine today. Didn't put a bunch of miles on, just wore them all day. Very comfortable and obviously high quality

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
About to begin on the written article for the Colorado's. I have to say there hasn't been very many dislikes for me. For a sheep or goat hunt I think I would bump to a stiffer boot, but for an elk and deer boot these boots take the cake for me. For their stiffness they have the best rocker in a boot I've used and they are perfect for a midwest to west all in one boot.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to see covered in this article?

Whistler

FNG
About to begin on the written article for the Colorado's. I have to say there hasn't been very many dislikes for me. For a sheep or goat hunt I think I would bump to a stiffer boot, but for an elk and deer boot these boots take the cake for me. For their stiffness they have the best rocker in a boot I've used and they are perfect for a midwest to west all in one boot.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to see covered in this article?
Jordan I still haven’t purchased mind yet and just got this email. Most people say true to size, is that what you think ? I have had 10.5 boots in Danners that fit pretty good and can go down a mountain with no toe jam. Then I also have a pair of lowas that are an 11 that I would say are nice. Hard to order online with no where to try and just trying to avoid the returning process. Both pair of brooks I have are 10.5. Also tried some boots before that there was no way an 11 would work. I know you have probably spent a lot of time in yours and would know if you thought you wished you went up a half size.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan I still haven’t purchased mind yet and just got this email. Most people say true to size, is that what you think ? I have had 10.5 boots in Danners that fit pretty good and can go down a mountain with no toe jam. Then I also have a pair of lowas that are an 11 that I would say are nice. Hard to order online with no where to try and just trying to avoid the returning process. Both pair of brooks I have are 10.5. Also tried some boots before that there was no way an 11 would work. I know you have probably spent a lot of time in yours and would know if you thought you wished you went up a half size.

They are true to size. All of the Crispi’s I’ve had run true to size. I’m usually an 8.5 in regular shoes but I 1/2 size up for the toe jam factor. I had some Danners a while back in a 9 and while it was quite a few years ago I’d say they fit the same.

Whistler

FNG
They are true to size. All of the Crispi’s I’ve had run true to size. I’m usually an 8.5 in regular shoes but I 1/2 size up for the toe jam factor. I had some Danners a while back in a 9 and while it was quite a few years ago I’d say they fit the same.

Okay thanks yeah I didn’t know because last year I carried a heavy pack with a pair of danners in 10.5 and I do not recall my toes touching the end at all, but didn’t want to take the chance with these boots in a 10.5 I didn’t think. Same token 11 in my schnees pac boots have always felt too big.

ericF

WKR
Okay thanks yeah I didn’t know because last year I carried a heavy pack with a pair of danners in 10.5 and I do not recall my toes touching the end at all, but didn’t want to take the chance with these boots in a 10.5 I didn’t think. Same token 11 in my schnees pac boots have always felt too big.

Blackovis just did a restock of the Colorado and have every size in stock. I just ordered 12s and 12 1/2s. I used to be like you and hated returning stuff, but I've tried on probably 6 different kinds of boots in the last couple months for an upcoming sheep hunt and finally figured out that when you can't try them on in the store it is worth getting 2 pair if there is a question to remove all doubt. Just wear them in the house to keep them new and it has been no problem sending the pair that didn't work back.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Drove over to Blackovis and picked up the Colorado's based off Jordans initial review and others comments. I have been a loyal Lowa fan, but wanted to try something lighter and more breathable for summer and early fall use. Really like the fit and the rockered sole. Boots snug up well, but as mentioned the toe box area doesn't compress your toes (which I find my Lowa's do a little bit). We'll see how they hold up this summer backpacking trips, but so far definite thumbs up.

LaGriz

WKR
Jordan Budd,
Thank you for this very helpful thread. I have some very wide goofy feet. My best fit to date has been with a size 11EE Cabela's Mt. Hiker 2 built by Meindl. These boots were the bomb as to fit right out of the box with zero break in! Wore them on a 7-day hunt in Idaho's Middle Fork and they served me well for several years after that. I did once have a insulated pair of all leather pack boots that were size 11.5EE that fit me pretty well. These were a 10" high winter boot from Cabela's called the Sawtooth (also discontinued).

I too am a big guy at 5' 11" and 250#+. Have a full volume foot and high insteps. Don't know if a motorcycle crash at age 20 played a role in my fit being so difficult. The left foot is a tad longer then the right one and I have bone sticking up on the instep of that same left foot. I do ware a 11EE in most work boots and athletic shoes. Not looking for a stiff boot for sheep hunting or the like. My requirements will be for hunting archery elk + early mule deer season (un-insulated) boot on the lighter side that is waterproof (Gortex liner) at least to a degree. I have been looking at the Crispi line for a good while. With what I have told you about my feet, can you recommend a boot I might try? If not able to do so, maybe you can help me eliminate a couple from a watch list and narrow my choices? Thanks in advance! LaGriz

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan Budd,
Thank you for this very helpful thread. I have some very wide goofy feet. My best fit to date has been with a size 11EE Cabela's Mt. Hiker 2 built by Meindl. These boots were the bomb as to fit right out of the box with zero break in! Wore them on a 7-day hunt in Idaho's Middle Fork and they served me well for several years after that. I did once have a insulated pair of all leather pack boots that were size 11.5EE that fit me pretty well. These were a 10" high winter boot from Cabela's called the Sawtooth (also discontinued).

I too am a big guy at 5' 11" and 250#+. Have a full volume foot and high insteps. Don't know if a motorcycle crash at age 20 played a role in my fit being so difficult. The left foot is a tad longer then the right one and I have bone sticking up on the instep of that same left foot. I do ware a 11EE in most work boots and athletic shoes. Not looking for a stiff boot for sheep hunting or the like. My requirements will be for hunting archery elk + early mule deer season (un-insulated) boot on the lighter side that is waterproof (Gortex liner) at least to a degree. I have been looking at the Crispi line for a good while. With what I have told you about my feet, can you recommend a boot I might try? If not able to do so, maybe you can help me eliminate a couple from a watch list and narrow my choices? Thanks in advance! LaGriz

I’m a fan of the Summits for what you are describing, as far as the hunting needs. The Briksdals are stiffer and pretty narrow, so probably count them out. The Colorado is stiffer but has great rocker and to me doesn’t feel like a stiff boot.. maybe don’t count that one out unless you don’t want any stiffness over a traditional hunting boot. Same with the Thor’s, they aren’t extremely stiff but more than a typical hunting boot IMO. I personally don’t care for the lacing style of the Thor’s. The Wyoming’s could be another option and loved by many, I didn’t like their width but sounds like that’s what you may need.

For the issues you have with your feet, it may be a good idea to call into Crispi customer service. I’m sure they hear a lot of scenarios and can help you out. Maybe some custom insoles will be able to help tailor the fit.

Let us all know what you come up with, may be others seeking the same info.

Jordan, wanted to get your thoughts on this as well. I'm torn between the Summit's (which I have tried on at least) and the Colorado's. I'm definitely a noob to western hunting as my first elk trip will be this September. My uses for this pair of boots would be Colorado OTC elk (south-central), and then also antelope and mule deer in Western Kansas and Nebraska. So flat to steep lol. I do have ankle issues when I'm on my feet a lot so I'm leaning towards the Colorado's, but do you think I'd regret not going with the Summit's when it came to the plains hunting?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, wanted to get your thoughts on this as well. I'm torn between the Summit's (which I have tried on at least) and the Colorado's. I'm definitely a noob to western hunting as my first elk trip will be this September. My uses for this pair of boots would be Colorado OTC elk (south-central), and then also antelope and mule deer in Western Kansas and Nebraska. So flat to steep lol. I do have ankle issues when I'm on my feet a lot so I'm leaning towards the Colorado's, but do you think I'd regret not going with the Summit's when it came to the plains hunting?

Just finished up the written article and I touched on this very thing as a high point of the boots. The rocker in the Colorado makes flat ground very bearable, better than any I’ve tried including the Briksdal. I think the Colorado bridges a gap between western and eastern hunting for those who like a stiffer boot. For your ankle problem, I also have one from a severe sprain like 5 years ago now. Stiff boots helped tremendously with that for me.

It’s tough for me to tell you exactly which because they are both boots I use more than any right now. I love the fit of both. I wouldn’t worry about the Summit not having ABSS. They still have very solid ankle support in my opinion. If you can swing it, I’d buy both and return one.

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
Blackovis currently has the Summits on sale, good time to pick up a pair. I have been wearing one around town. Got them to supplement the Colorado. I wanted a pair with a little less flex for casual hiking. Summits seem to have plenty of ankle support.