Crispi Colorado - Semi-live boot review

jwl76

FNG
Ordered a pair of the Colorado yesterday. I've read/skimmed through most of this thread and nothing definitive jumped out on breaking them in. Any advice on the break in process?

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Throw them on and go. Seriously, they are not stiff like a full leather boot, so the break-in is minimal. I've yet to get out on a big hike with them, but I've been wearing them a lot during the week and have zero hot spots or issues to speak of.

Last edited:

Mudd Foot

WKR
Throw them on and go. Seriously, they are not stiff like a full leather boot, so the break-in is minimal. I've yet to get out on a big hike yet with them yet, but I've been wearing them a lot during the week and have zero hot spots or issues to speak of.

100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ordered a pair of the Colorado yesterday. I've read/skimmed through most of this thread and nothing definitive jumped out on breaking them in. Any advice on the break in process?

Exactly what has been said above. These boots have had the least "break in" period of a stiffer boot I've used. The Briksdal didn't have much but you could still tell when they had been worn more. These Colorado's have been fantastic for me.

jwl76

FNG
Thanks for the quick responses. I look forward to using them and am glad there is not some complicated break in process!

jwl76

FNG
Okay, so the boots arrived yesterday and I put them on and wore around the house. I'm concerned about the fit. My pinky toe and left side of foot touch the side. I've never had a boot/shoe fit this tight around the sides. The front to back space seems good it's the width that is a concern. In your experience will these stretch at all?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, so the boots arrived yesterday and I put them on and wore around the house. I'm concerned about the fit. My pinky toe and left side of foot touch the side. I've never had a boot/shoe fit this tight around the sides. The front to back space seems good it's the width that is a concern. In your experience will these stretch at all?

They didn’t stretch much for me. If it’s not painful, just more narrow than your used to I’d say keep rolling with them. If you think it’s too narrow and going to have an issue, I would exchange for a wide size. Is it like constricting narrow? Like pinching all your toes together narrow.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a pair in the mail today. I like the fit, but they are a little more flexible than I thought they would be. Only worn around the house but they walk super easy for being as stiff as they are.

My only concern is they feel like a hot box on my feet. Even after 10 minutes in the boot I notice a good amount of perspiration/moisture in my sock. Anyone else with this? I know Gore Tex is weird in the way it breathes but I was a little surprised by this.

jwl76

FNG
Jordan,
Thanks again for response. It's not pushing my toes together just slightly constricting. Just a very different feeling then I'm used too. If my feet could talk they would tell me they feel claustrophobic in them. :) This is something I'm going to try and work through. The other issue is how warm they are for an uninsulated boot. Used a different sock this morning which helped in the spacing and heat build up. Really like the stability of them and can't wait to get out of the house with them. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine out for the first time today. 4.25 miles on a fairly rugged trail left me a little surprised. No hot spots other than one area that’s a problem for me no matter the footware and easily managed. The boot walked well but felt a lot less stiff than what I was thinking it would. In one area of the trail it was pretty obvious you can get some flex fairly easy if it’s steep. The boot actually felt as if softened up a bit of the course of the hike. One thing I think some other guys touched on is how hard the foot bed is. I was running mine with Superfeet green and man the ball of your foot may take a pounding in these depending on the insole and or your foot mechanics. I do feel like they are warm for an unisulated boot but it was 86 degrees out. Overall I think it’s a really solid boot.

And to be clear I’m not bad mouthing the boot at all these are just my observations from today. I will report back as I put some more miles on them but I think they will work well for a large amount of people and foot shapes.

cpahunts

FNG
What Crispi boots do you all like for getting into the rifle season (late October/early November) in Colorado?

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
The boot walked well but felt a lot less stiff than what I was thinking it would. In one area of the trail it was pretty obvious you can get some flex fairly easy if it’s steep. The boot actually felt as if softened up a bit of the course of the hike. One thing I think some other guys touched on is how hard the foot bed is. I was running mine with Superfeet green and man the ball of your foot may take a pounding in these depending on the insole and or your foot mechanics. I do feel like they are warm for an unisulated boot but it was 86 degrees out.

Same thoughts. This being my first pair of Crispi boots, I'd definitely not describe them as "stiff" by any manner and they felt warmer then expected for non insulated boot. My go to summer hiking boots have been Asolo's and they are not as warm as the Colorado's.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same thoughts. This being my first pair of Crispi boots, I'd definitely not describe them as "stiff" by any manner and they felt warmer then expected for non insulated boot. My go to summer hiking boots have been Asolo's and they are not as warm as the Colorado's.

I classify them as a stiffer boot but not the stiffest. I think they have such a good rocker that they don’t feel as stiff as they are. I’ve always said that a 4 flex is stiffer than a traditional hunting boot. Like my kenetreks are not as stiff as the Colorado. The Colorado isn’t as stiff as others, but a stiffer boot for sure. Check out the Briksdal SF for a stiffer boot.

Skull10

WKR
I have a set of Colorado's coming in tomorrow. I have the Nevada's and they are great, just a bit too hot for the North Carolina area and maybe early archery in Colorado.

I am hoping the Colorado's are cooler and more breathable, with the same great ancle support as the Nevada's.

HeadnWest

WKR
After ordering a pair in my normal boot size, I am going to have to send them back for a half size smaller. I usually wear a 9 in most European boots ( Scarpa, Salewa, Garmont, La Sportiva) But these have a very generous fitting last on them, to the point where I know there is too much volume in the boot. I'm going to have to resize down to a 8.5 (please, no small foot jokes :) )

Just want to bring this up for guys debating on sizes of the boot. I would definitely not size up on this boot as you might on other European style boots.

jmb1269

Lil-Rokslider
how would you compare the colorados to a lasportiva trango cube or trango trx? If memory serves me right, you ran one of those boots in the past.

Thanks,

Joe

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
how would you compare the colorados to a lasportiva trango cube or trango trx? If memory serves me right, you ran one of those boots in the past.

Thanks,

Joe

The Trango TRK’s are super flexible and I had issues with those. They aren’t in the same category as the other two IMO.

The Cubes vs Colorado’s... the Colorado will not be as stiff as the Cubes. Width wise they are about the same, with the Crispi being slightly wider in the toe box I feel. Then the Crispi will be more forgiving on the trail and flat ground since it has lesser stiffness and the best rocker I’ve had in a boot. The Cubes are still one of my favorite boots and I’ll have those forever. The Colorado thus far has been neck and neck with the Cubes but they’re just different boots. The Cubes being more specialized to the rugged country IMO and the Colorado being more of an all terrain type of boot if your a person that likes the stiffer sole.

jmb1269

Lil-Rokslider
The Trango TRK’s are super flexible and I had issues with those. They aren’t in the same category as the other two IMO.

The Cubes vs Colorado’s... the Colorado will not be as stiff as the Cubes. Width wise they are about the same, with the Crispi being slightly wider in the toe box I feel. Then the Crispi will be more forgiving on the trail and flat ground since it has lesser stiffness and the best rocker I’ve had in a boot. The Cubes are still one of my favorite boots and I’ll have those forever. The Colorado thus far has been neck and neck with the Cubes but they’re just different boots. The Cubes being more specialized to the rugged country IMO and the Colorado being more of an all terrain type of boot if your a person that likes the stiffer sole.

Great feedback! Exact info I was hoping for! Thanks Jordan.