Crispi Colorado - Semi-live boot review

My summits leak!! Not happy
That’s disappointing to hear. I’d expect them to make it right and will be interested to hear how well they resolve it for you.

I tested my Colorados yesterday and I’m relieved to say they were bone dry. I think the takeaway here is, even the best gear, can have defects and it’s on each out us to test the limits of our equipment, even the basic limits, well before we’re six miles back, feet frozen and SOL.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My summits leak!! Not happy

Definitely contact customer service. They will make it right with you. How many miles do you have on them? I have quite a few on mine and haven’t had an issue yet.

I used the Colorado’s a ton this September, total of 17 days in the backcountry and another 10 in the Midwest. I’m still extremely happy with them. If I was to have an issue I really think it would’ve come out in the first week of the season but they’re running great. We were crossing creeks that covered the foot of the boot every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Not many, couple weeks for work. Seemed fine, they were a little small so i sold them to a buddy of mine. Took them to Wyoming last week, got that wet slushy snow and his feet were wet right away. I felt bad for selling him them that's for sure. Do I need the receipt? Im horrible at that, lol
Are they waterproof or water resistant? I thought they were supposed to be waterproof! Thanks for the help!

Not many, couple weeks for work. Seemed fine, they were a little small so i sold them to a buddy of mine. Took them to Wyoming last week, got that wet slushy snow and his feet were wet right away. I felt bad for selling him them that's for sure. Do I need the receipt? Im horrible at that, lol
Are they waterproof or water resistant? I thought they were supposed to be waterproof! Thanks for the help!

Definitely waterproof. Water resistant is for jogging shoes.

I think you could probably contact Crispi as if they were your shoes and you still owned them. I’d be shocked if you needed proof of purchase. Seem to be a very solid company.

Every company makes mistakes. Great ones go the extra mile to make their mistakes right.

6.5x284

WKR
Had my Colorado’s out in my first rain during my archery elk hunt today. Right boot was soaked inside within an hour. Leaking from the front somewhere. I sent Crispi a video taking my boot off and ringing out my sock. Left boot was great all day. Frustrating. Glad I wasn’t backpacked in or it would have been a lot bigger issue. Rain forecasted rest of the week so I’m not real happy about it. I’m hoping you guys have better luck than I do! I have no doubt their CS will take care of me.

Update: CS said to send them in for a new pair (as long as they fail their testing...which they had better or I would never buy anything they made if that was considered acceptable). Overall very pleased with CS so far. I’ll definitely be checking my boots in the tub before an out of state trip in the future though! Lesson learned.

Just got my email, both boots failed the inspection and a new pair will be shipped out. Pleased with the customer service for sure. It’s just frustrating to have a failure on a hunt. As Rocky said, I’ll be testing from here on out. I’ve just never had a boot leak in 15 years (Zamberlan and Scarpa) and it never crossed my mind. I’ll test these ones in the tub and wear them dry to help with breakin because I head back to MT in 2 weeks. But I still love the boot, and am hoping I just got a lemon.

Had a pair of new leak like a sieve many years ago on a soaker of a day (not Crispi, but another good brand). That boot had been discontinued because I bought them afraid of that (discontinued) and they sat in my closet for about 3 years until I used them.

Always do a soak test now after wearing around on carpet for a bit for fit.

Oh yeah, just ordered a pair of CO's this morning and got true size. If they are tight, I will exchange for a pair of EE's.

Has anyone run the Colorado’s in snow? I’m not super happy with the fit of my Lowa Caminos for my feet so I’m trying out some new boots, loving the fit of the Colorado’s but wondering how well they’d do in say a second season Colorado hunt (or this year first season...for those of you that know what I’m talking about).

Doghed

WKR
This a great boot thread. Lots of good info. Thanks.

I want to add my limited experience with the Colorado.

I've been wearing the Asolo Fugitive GTX in wide for quite a while and was happy with them but I've known they were ready to be replaced for a year and was dreading breaking in new boots. I knew that I wanted more of a backpacking boot with more support and stiffness than what I've been using. Ive been looking at, and reading reviews about Crispi for a long time and was curious, especially because the fit info seemed perfect for me. When the Colorado was introduced it went directly to the short list of boots for me.

I recently decided to purchase during the Black Ovis boot sale. Within 20 minutes of the fedex truck pulling out they were on my feet and they were instantly the most comfortable hiking boot I've worn. Granted I haven't tried many, and my normal footwear is either flip flops or a pull on boot. As Ive gotten older my foot has flattened slightly so a wide boot normally makes sense. Crispi CS and other reviews led me to order my regular size in regular width, and similar to the experiences already documented in this thread they were just right. They are a little stiffer than the Fugitive, taller, the heel is really locked down, and the toe box is ample. I can lift my toes a bit and spread them slightly. I'm extremely pleased.

I'll be wearing them as much as I can until Christmas when I'll have to box them up and put them under the tree.
Sorry about the long right up. Hopefully I've helped someone the way others have helped me.

Cheers,
BH.

Following up on my experience here in case it's helpful. While trying to find a pair of boots for this year I went through a ton of options - Scarpa R-Evolution GTX (KUIU’s), Asolo Fugitives, Asolo Drifter GVs, Salomon Quest 4D, Crispi Thor’s and Crispi Colorados. At one point my wife came to be with some serious questions about our running Amex bill.

I'm thrilled to have found Jordan's review because, in the end, the Colorados were far superior to all the others I tried. I liked the Scarpas from KUIU but, despite ordering my regular size 11 and an 11.5, I just couldn't get these things to fit. Like everything else from KUIU (who I love), I think if you want the Scarpa R-Evolutions you need to order a full size up to start with and then go up more from there.

As soon as the Colorados were on my feet I was sold. These boots have just the right amount of stiffness for climbing steep terrain and supporting heavier loads but "rock" very well when moving across more level terrain which gives a nice sense of forward momentum. I broke my ankle hunting in December '18 (La Sportiva :/) so Crispi's A.B.S.S. feature was a huge selling point for me. The additional support can be felt immediately, especially when compared to a boot that doesn't have a dedicated support system (I'm thinking of the Crispi Thor GTX here which I also liked but the lack of ABSS was a deal breaker for me).

First hike (relative term here in Texas) was a local preserve where I knocked out 7 miles and 1,000 vertical feet gained. While my feet did get slightly sore over the course of the day, the next morning I had zero blisters or hot spots. Really no break-in needed on this boot.

The boot was slightly heavier than some of the others I tried. The 11.5s came in at 3lbs, 10.6oz. Not bad in general or when you consider a "light" boot like the Scarpa R-Evolution weighs in at only 2.4oz less (which is a little deceptive as you'd need to go up half a size to have a similar fitting boot).

I wear a size 11 in my Brooks running shoes and the Crispi 11's were about perfect at first. However, I did notice on a steep incline that my right toe barely clipped the front of the shoe. I ended up going with the 11.5 which was slightly wider than I'd prefer but toe room was excellent and it wasn't too hard to lace them down to take out some volume. I have an average foot width so anyone with a wider foot would likely find these to be perfect.

To anyone looking in to these, I'd recommend them highly. Can't wait to get them into some real backcounty terrain this season and put them to work. Now I just need to return all these others...

I am between these and the Thors. besides the Thors not having the ABSS, were there anything else you didn't like about the thor's? I really like how light they are.

I am torn between these and the Thor. I don’t plan to have a heavy load on my back, so I am just wondering how much extra stiffness I need.

I haven’t had mine long. They were comfortable from day 1.
I just spent the afternoon in NE OH in damp boggy ground and my feet felt damp, but not soaked. Not the most waterproof food I’ve ever worn but not the worst either. The nylon holds the swamp stink and I don’t think that’s going anywhere.
I’ve been wearing them for work to break them in. Nice stability and support on ladders and roofs.
I only have six or 7 miles in the hills in about 20 miles on flat ground with them but no complaints about comfort or stability, just concerns about waterproofness.

Trider73

FNG
I really enjoy the fit of the these boots. They provided a lot of support around my ankles while I was rucking. However, I got the worst heal blisters I have ever had after rucking 10 miles in them. Any one else having this issue?

Holocene

WKR
So excited they added another 4 flex.
How do you think the fit is compared to the Wyoming?

I wore the Wyomings for the past three years and took them everywhere -- from turkey hunting in the Southeast to Hell's Canyon to the Oregon coast.

Just got the Colorado for my birthday and took them to Wyoming (irony?) recently.

Here's my comparison so far.

Confirmed: Colorado is a touch narrower and shorter than the Wyoming. Toe box has less volume. For example, I wear a 12.5 (46) in the Wyoming and had to go up a size to 13 (47) in the Colorado to have enough room that I don't get wear on the top of my 4th and 5th toe and back of heel, which are traditionally problem spots for me.

The 4 flex on the Colorado is fine. Noticeably stiffer than Wyoming, but I had no pain walking through airport and on relatively flat ground in the sage flats.

Wyoming was good to me, but I wanted to shave a few ounces and still have a boot that can stand up to heavy packouts, long trips, and steep sidehills. Hoping the Colorado can fit the bill. The Wyoming, especially when wet on the Oregon coast, would weigh me down slightly and cause some knee pain.

For upland hunting where big loads won't be carried, I'd like to try an ultralight stiff boot like the Thor or similar.

Holocene

WKR
I really enjoy the fit of the these boots. They provided a lot of support around my ankles while I was rucking. However, I got the worst heal blisters I have ever had after rucking 10 miles in them. Any one else having this issue?
No issues with heel rub, and that's normally an issue with my boot fit because I've got some "pump bump" on the back of my heels from playing hockey in my 20s.

Here's a test: put on the boots and lace them up as if going on a hike. Do some deep one leg lunges around the house. If you get pressure on the back of the heel, that boot might be too tight.

Compared to the Wyoming, I had to go up 1/2 size in the Colorado to avoid this heel squeeze. The heel pressure/blisters are brutal especially when facing a lot of uphill climbing.