Crispi Crossover longevity?

Laned

WKR
To those that wear these, I have 3 questions.

1) How long is the midsole lasting for you? Being EVA, I would think they last as long as a pair of running shoes (approx. 300-500 miles). So, more specifically, which end of the range is reaching? For instance, a Brooks Beast is more like a 500 mile shoe, while any Hoka is more like a 300 mile shoe.

2) How have they performed during extended side-hilling (traversing a slope for at least several hundred yards)?

3) How well does an orthotic work in them?

Thinking about trying them since my favorite pair of "backpacking boots" of all time were a pair of old Nike cross-trainers I had back in the 90s.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

:unsure: I got over 900 miles out my Crispis, then took them out of the truck and did some hunting :D
Seriously though, put on 10 mile days in steep inclines, they held up well, no idea about life long mileage.
Advise wise couple things come to mind, lose the OEM insoles and get orthotic style ones right away, and the toe box sometimes seems too small going downhill, make sure your toenails are trimmed tight!

OP
L

Laned

WKR
Journeyman, that's good to know. Would you be able to identify when your Crossovers lose (or lost) their cushioning? For instance, when the midsole stops recovering from being compacted, or when you start noticing wrinkles on the sides of the midsoles? An example of this is when I get a new pair of running shoes, I put an old shoe on one foot and a new one on the other, and it feels like I'm walking a curb (one foot feels higher than the other). Or, on the first day the shoes feel cushy and comfy, but the following day or two, their hard and have to be laced up tighter to fit snug.

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if you’ve had them in hand yet, but they are a very burly shoe (a light boot). They’re going to outlast any running shoe you compare them with is my guess.

FYI I just got some, and had to exchange for a bigger size as I thought they run small compared to other Crispis. I didn’t see them stretching or breaking in bigger either, due to how robust they were. Just my experience.

OP
L

Laned

WKR
Thanks, gsully. That's good to know since the Gohunt size charts call it true to size. I do realize that it has more burly features being a boot. But, the distinguishing feature is the EVA midsole which is what is typically in a running shoe instead of a boot and has less longevity than a traditional boot. While the boot may seem like it's still fully functional because the tread on the outsole is still good and there's minimal wear on the upper, the midsole may have lost its functionality and stays compacted. So, that's why I'm curious about this specific feature. Basically, it's an attempt to seek info on this midsole feature so that I can do my own cost/benefit analysis of purchasing this boot.

Journeyman, that's good to know. Would you be able to identify when your Crossovers lose (or lost) their cushioning? For instance, when the midsole stops recovering from being compacted, or when you start noticing wrinkles on the sides of the midsoles? An example of this is when I get a new pair of running shoes, I put an old shoe on one foot and a new one on the other, and it feels like I'm walking a curb (one foot feels higher than the other). Or, on the first day the shoes feel cushy and comfy, but the following day or two, their hard and have to be laced up tighter to fit snug.

I got the summit GTX model. After wearing them a few times for break them in, a full day at the local County fair made the OEM insoles a clear no-go. Went with Aetrex insoles and it did the trick! It’s unfortunate you have a buy anything for an upgrade after spending so much for the boots, but if you go cheap there, you will pay hard in discomfort.

Brightside

Lil-Rokslider
The Crossovers have been my daily non work wear since June. Over 160 miles logged hunting coastal Oregon, lots in the rain too. Stayed dry with gaiters. I'm 205 wearing a 20-40lb pack and they were great. That said, with a bear in the pack, more support was wanted. In nasty rocky terrain I wanted ankle support. I really pushed them way farther than they were built to go and they hung tuff.

Many beach hikes, mountain trout trips, coastal river trips. If you dont ask them to do more than they were built to you'll be pleased. Best boot I have ever owned, period.

Midsole started wrinkling after 3 months of daily and weekend adventure wear. Original insoles are good, way better than Scarpa!

Attachments

• IMG_20201010_210646_170.jpg
    IMG_20201010_210646_170.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201010_122233.jpg
    20201010_122233.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 33
OP
L

Laned

WKR
Thanks for letting me know about the Summits, Journeyman. I've looked at those boots too.

Brightside, that's some really good information on the Crossovers. I'm somewhat familiar with that Oregon coastal terrain and weather. So, I know those boots have been put through the wringer. Thanks, I appreciate it.