Crispi fit info .... Guide vs Dakota

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide members are often wanting info about boot fit comparison. I have gone through several pair of Crispi boots and found the Guide (tall version of Nevada) to be the best fit for my foot. Black Orvis was clearing out the Dakota for a good price so I ordered a pair. Attached is a pic which shows a good visual comparison of the fit design. These are both the exact same size (11 M) and as you can see the Dakota has a pronounced curve in the outside of the forefoot which in my opinion looks and feels similar to the Colorado. For some, including myself, this causes narrowing and compression on the outside of the foot around the 4th-5th toe area. For others, this provides a perfect fit. It is all specific to the foot that is in the boot. The Guide/Nevada is definitely more forgiving in the toe box. The Dakota although a good boot, is being returned. Just an FYI for those seeking fit info.

Attachments

• Crispiboots.jpeg
    Crispiboots.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Rokslide members are often wanting info about boot fit comparison. I have gone through several pair of Crispi boots and found the Guide (tall version of Nevada) to be the best fit for my foot. Black Orvis was clearing out the Dakota for a good price so I ordered a pair. Attached is a pic which shows a good visual comparison of the fit design. These are both the exact same size (11 M) and as you can see the Dakota has a pronounced curve in the outside of the forefoot which in my opinion looks and feels similar to the Colorado. For some, including myself, this causes narrowing and compression on the outside of the foot around the 4th-5th toe area. For others, this provides a perfect fit. It is all specific to the foot that is in the boot. The Guide/Nevada is definitely more forgiving in the toe box. The Dakota although a good boot, is being returned. Just an FYI for those seeking fit info.
Ordered a pair of Crispi Dakota from BlackOvis and got the exact same feel, my forefoot was snug. Also when on a delcline the back of the boot jabs me in the back of my leg. They are going back and I’ll try something else. I’m wearing a pair of Redwing (RW) 1000g Elk Hunters I got for 1/3 of new on clearance. Too much heel slip on my left foot and weight as much as a M60 tank but aftermarket insoles solved all but the weight problem.
In n.e. Michigan and use the RW boots for hiking, I’m getting ready for a Colorado Sept archery elk hunt this year and the weight of the RW will help get in mountain shape.
I’m in my 60s now and spent 20 years playing army so have a clue what I’m getting ready for.
Will follow your thread to see what you come up with for forefoot squeeze. Thinking of trying Kenetrek as I read they have a bigger toe box.

OP
ceejay

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered a pair of Crispi Dakota from BlackOvis and got the exact same feel, my forefoot was snug. Also when on a delcline the back of the boot jabs me in the back of my leg. They are going back and I’ll try something else. I’m wearing a pair of Redwing (RW) 1000g Elk Hunters I got for 1/3 of new on clearance. Too much heel slip on my left foot and weight as much as a M60 tank but aftermarket insoles solved all but the weight problem.
In n.e. Michigan and use the RW boots for hiking, I’m getting ready for a Colorado Sept archery elk hunt this year and the weight of the RW will help get in mountain shape.
I’m in my 60s now and spent 20 years playing army so have a clue what I’m getting ready for.
Will follow your thread to see what you come up with for forefoot squeeze. Thinking of trying Kenetrek as I read they have a bigger toe box.
The Crispi Guide (boot on the left in the pic) feel good in the forefoot for me and I'm happy with them. I am going to get a pair of Nevada eventually so that I have a the lower height version of the same boot.

The Crispi Guide (boot on the left in the pic) feel good in the forefoot for me and I'm happy with them. I am going to get a pair of Nevada eventually so that I have a the lower height version of the same boot.
Will try the guides but wanted to get into the 7-8” tall boots like you but I have bad ankles and plates and screws on the right leg. Ankle support and not getting rock hits especially on my upper right ankle area is big.

OP
ceejay

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Will try the guides but wanted to get into the 7-8” tall boots like you but I have bad ankles and plates and screws on the right leg. Ankle support and not getting rock hits especially on my upper right ankle area is big.
The 10" Guide will likely provide a little more lateral support than the 8" Nevada. The taller boot is better at keeping debris and minimizing risk of water spilling in. However, as far as keeping water and debris out, wearing gaiters with a shorter boot is what a lot of people prefer.

Def read about the benefits of gaiters and guessing even with the 10” will still wear em or at least have them in the ruck.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Your description of the Dakota toe box is dead on! I live in the SE and don't have the luxury of going to a store and trying on multiple boots until I find one that fits good. I bought the Dakota online a few years back and even though they aren't perfect, I still wear them. When I hit the hills I get blisters on the top on toes 4 and 5. Everywhere else they do fine. I've seen a lot of comments on this board about Crispi not being waterproof but my feet have never gotten wet crossing streams and such.

Voyageur

WKR
Your picture is a good visual. I prefer a roomy toe box and have been/am very satisfied with my Guides for the past two years.

Tried some other boots and never got a comfortable fit, until I tried Zamberlan 981s. Used their measurement guide, added 1/2 size because I also hunt n.e. Michigan and like thick socks.
Today was 14 degrees out with 20 mph gusts for their maiden voyage of 30 minutes trudging in knee deep snow (need some gaiters) and here are my thoughts:
I’m 6’ 230s on the hoof, I have very high arches and was pretty fit back in the day, which as my niece is so found of saying “That was a long day ago”, with multiple leg, ankle injuries and plantar fasciitis.
My feet were dry, warm and pretty comfortable for out of the box boots during the trek, no hotspots or heel slip (Have a pair of RW 1000g Elk Hunters that are too big and heel slip and blisters are a thing with them).

I found the Zams flexed okay but remember I’m pretty heavy so a 175# person is going to perceive the flex as stiffer. In no way did I think they were too stiff, I would personally rate them medium flex for me. The
traction was outstanding on ice, snow, slush and any undulating surface I could test. I would rate the grip on all surfaces I tried as excellent.
No locking lace holder at the mid point, would have been a nice touch but surgeons knot works as well. So far the workmanship from my scrutiny is outstanding and I see nothing that indicates anything except quality.
Pulling out the stock boot liners as soon as I find some Superfeet, all the better boots seem to have a clearing house they buy the boot liners they use “Uncle Josh’s boot liners and cardboard products”. Replace those mofackies pronto.

The heel on my left nevada didn’t work for me at all. Will the guides be the same issue? Being it’s basically the same boot?

I prefer the Crispi Guides for the same reasons and the extra support walking in rocks.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Just received the guides in the mail yesterday....jury is still out on this boot. Anybody have a solution to the "walking on tennis ball" feeling?

Voyageur

WKR
Just received the guides in the mail yesterday....jury is still out on this boot. Anybody have a solution to the "walking on tennis ball" feeling?
Not 100% sure I know what you are referring to, but I put new insoles in mine shortly after I got them because the factory insoles had a very uncomfortable "ribbed" feeling under the ball of my foot. I found a cheap, featurless, and relatively thin generic insole and it solved the problem.

i wish crispi did a better job explaining the fit between boots (like zamberlan has in their size guide) the summits are the most comfortable boots i have ever owned, thought the Nevada would be the perfect boot... they aren't, completely different fit. they are ok, but i wouldn't take them on a long hard hunt. i will still use them, they are pretty comfortable, but with no sizing standard or descriptions, it may be my last pair of crispis. i was hoping for a boot that fits like the summit but is full grain leather for longevity.

going to order a pair of zamberlans here soon, and can compare the fit to their descriptions on the different lasts, and hopefully find a boot i love and can stick with. a perfect fitting boot is a thing to appreciate, because i have been through a pile of boots, and most i don't care for.

i revert to more of minimalist footwear for elk hunting when the weather is good, because they don't hurt my feet regardless of how much ground i cover

The 10" Guide will likely provide a little more lateral support than the 8" Nevada. The taller boot is better at keeping debris and minimizing risk of water spilling in. However, as far as keeping water and debris out, wearing gaiters with a shorter boot is what a lot of people prefer.
i'm a short boot/gaiter guy. the nevada has almost too restrictive of an ankle area for me, but i'm either getting used to it or the memory foam has taken the shape of my ankle a little bit. it felt like it was invading my space the first few times i put them on, haha. the Nevada seems like a heck of a boot for someone looking for some ankle support and a fairly large toe box.

they are pretty good for me now unless i do a lot of uphill in a day, then i start getting some heel slip hot spots. i would be pretty content with them if i could get rid of the little bit of heel slip.... it's not bad, but i feel it after a long day with lots of uphill.

the other day i walked just shy of 13 miles, not a long hard day by any stretch, but i was getting hot heels at the end... the last 4 miles there was 3 miles of uphill, then the last mile was steep downhill... my feet were pretty good until that last uphill stretch, then i was happy i wasn't climbing anymore, i felt like i was riding the line of blisters. next thing to try is liner socks to see if i can remedy that..... my summits have not gave me any foot issues at all. if they were 1/4 size bigger and all leather, they would be the holy grail of boots for me.... they do good in rocky country, side hilling, good traction, enough support for me, but still light enough i can sneak up on stuff and shoot it with my top pin.... the synthetic panels have a shelf life on the coast with all of the thorny brush like salmonberry, devil's club, and blackberries i'm always walking through. they stayed dry for a season and a half still, which is great considering the miles i put on them, but i'm confident they would still be dry without the synthetic panels.

zamberlan guarantees the goretex for the life of their boots, which is very attractive to me. if i find a pair that fits perfect, and get a second pair, i should be able to stay in a dry pair of boots for a couple years, which would be awesome, because it's wet here..... especially Oct-April

Voyageur

WKR
To comment further on your question....I just got back from 3 days of shed hunting and putting 30 or so miles on my Guides. Now I think I know exactly what you mean by "walking on tennis ball feeling." I had forgotten the "rocker" effect the soles of the Guides have. It is definitely different than any other boots I own. For me it's just a matter of wearing them for awhile until my body acclimates to the rocking feel. After that I don't notice it. For me it's not a bad thing, just something different.
Hope this helps.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled a pair of insoles out of another pair of boots and tried it in one boot for a couple minutes in the house and noticed a huge improvement. Will do it to both pair this weekend to make sure the boot is what im after

Very good to know! It’s crazy how different some of these boots fit, how would you ever know until you bought them? I had an issue with a pair of guides that ended up being a half size too small and give my toes a bunch of issues at the end of hunting season. Kind of a bummer thing to find out after the fact with how much they cost, but I guess that’s just the way it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk