Crispi Hunter GTX Insulated (vs) Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 ?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking to buy boots this next week.
Any experienced advice would be great.

In the store both fit well.
The Crispi seemed to lack padding? It felt like the cushion in the soles had been worn out.
The Kenetrek hinted at future heel rubbing issues.

Any advice?
Thanks!

kickemall

WKR
I've worn both and they are pretty similar boots so it comes down to fit and feel. I'd avoid heel slip if at all possible. If you not happy with the fit of those two there are plenty more out there. If I had to pick one of those two it would be the Crispi only because it fit my feet better. Always go with fit or you will have problems later.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Get a hold of @Ross if he doesn’t chime in on this thread.

He probably wears the most boots of our staff and may have worn these, maybe, I lose track!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
between the two I’ve continued with the nevadas reason being waterproof factor, ankle support and just plain comfort the nevadas have it all only issue I had was on the rand getting beat up in the Idaho jungles so do suggest sealing prior to use...the kennes were good but for my feet the nevadas just all around better both very stiff

Last edited:

MtnMuley

WKR
I have them both and the Kenetreks are by far more comfy and better overall boot in my opinon. Use Leukotape if your heel slips

Outlaw99

WKR
I’ve had them both. Kept the Cripis, sold the Kenetreks. I never could get the Kenetreks to fit like I wanted. The Hunter GTX were a perfect fit right out of the box.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Your best advice received is to buy the ones that fit. I got the Kenentreks Insulated 400 and Love them from the start. Been out several times for hikes and only concern is they are "warm" as we are yet in high 80s. So not a bad problem when it drops to low 20s in Nov. Good Luck

Davishii

FNG
Looking to buy boots this next week.
Any experienced advice would be great.

In the store both fit well.
The Crispi seemed to lack padding? It felt like the cushion in the soles had been worn out.
The Kenetrek hinted at future heel rubbing issues.

Any advice?
Thanks!
Kenetreks are absolute garbage. Threads are full of blister stories and they are true. I bought mountain guides and they ruined a hunt that cost me a couple thousand dollars. The stories all say that you need to break them in. That doesn’t work. I walked over 50 miles in mine before I went out hunting. When you get into steeper terrain they still blister your feet. My feet were destroyed after hiking 2.5 Miles in the mountains and my hunt was over. Don’t risk it. Get boots without the blister stories. There are many out there. My Lowas were great right out of the box, even in the mountains. I have put in some miles in my life, in the Marines, and through years in the mountains. I have hiked in combat boots, jungle boots, lowas, danners. I have never had blisters like I got in kenetreks. And even worse is the service. They want you to pay to ship them in so they can stretch the heel cup. Which may or may not fix the problem.

Attachments

• CE723065-9088-488C-9CF6-F56200B42D91.jpeg
    CE723065-9088-488C-9CF6-F56200B42D91.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 9
Kenetreks are absolute garbage. Threads are full of blister stories and they are true. I bought mountain guides and they ruined a hunt that cost me a couple thousand dollars. The stories all say that you need to break them in. That doesn’t work. I walked over 50 miles in mine before I went out hunting. When you get into steeper terrain they still blister your feet. My feet were destroyed after hiking 2.5 Miles in the mountains and my hunt was over. Don’t risk it. Get boots without the blister stories. There are many out there. My Lowas were great right out of the box, even in the mountains. I have put in some miles in my life, in the Marines, and through years in the mountains. I have hiked in combat boots, jungle boots, lowas, danners. I have never had blisters like I got in kenetreks. And even worse is the service. They want you to pay to ship them in so they can stretch the heel cup. Which may or may not fix the problem.
Kenetreks work great for me. On my 4th pair. They have re- designed the heel cups since the days of everyone getting blisters. You bought the stiffest burliest boot they make. Im gona call bullshit on you walking 50 miles in them and then all of a sudden your hunt was ruined after 2.5 miles.... Hard to believe that you wouldn't of had issues in the 1st 50 miles. Did you not go out and hike some hills before your hunt to get a feel for the boot? You join this forum to just bash the boot company???

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
I like these better than either one you mentioned... I have the Alaskan Hunters and they were great out of the box, no hot spots and fit well.

I had the same opinion about Crispi, felt worn out lack of padding from new. Kenetrek might be good after 100 miles and might not, a lot of money for an experiment.

Davishii

FNG
Kenetreks work great for me. On my 4th pair. They have re- designed the heel cups since the days of everyone getting blisters. You bought the stiffest burliest boot they make. Im gona call bullshit on you walking 50 miles in them and then all of a sudden your hunt was ruined after 2.5 miles.... Hard to believe that you wouldn't of had issues in the 1st 50 miles. Did you not go out and hike some hills before your hunt to get a feel for the boot? You join this forum to just bash the boot company???
Yeah. I think people should know about what a terrible company they are. You can call bullshit all you want. I worked out for 8 months and lost 40 lbs preparing for my hunt. I worked my ass off preparing for that hunt. It is the only hunt I get to go on every year. These boots ruined it. Bought new boots because my lowas were stolen. Liked the higher tops of the kenetreks. Bought their special insoles for flat feet. Bought them months before the hunt to break them in. Wore darn tough mountain socks just like I had for years in my lowas. You can call bullshit or whatever else you want to call. But those pictures don’t lie. Read the forums. Those boots cause blisters. I am just trying to make sure that people don’t risk a hunt on those boots like I did. And YES, I would not be here if they stood behind their product. But they don’t. I have come here for years to read advice on gear. I read numerous posts about these garbage boots. I was convinced by those who said breaking them in would make a difference. You want to frame it as me joining just to bash them. I prefer to look at it as joining to warn other consumers not to risk a hunt on garbage gear. I would walk barefoot in the snow to hunt before I put on another pair of kenetreks. I understand they work for some. Good for you. But new people considering them deserve to know that the blister stories are true before they risk a hunt on these boots. Don’t you think? Why so aggressive? Why so defensive?

and honestly, no, I didn’t walk many hills. I am a flat lander. But they didn’t warn flatlanders to walk hllls to break them in. They just said put in the miles. So if nothing else let this be a warning to flatlanders. They feel great on flat land, but you will blister in the mountains like no other boot I have ever worn.

Attachments

• D6BBB529-6E53-4BEF-B2EE-27A3285513EA.jpeg
    D6BBB529-6E53-4BEF-B2EE-27A3285513EA.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 5
  • 16B6E17E-87AD-4D8F-A45D-BDD49F34C7C1.jpeg
    16B6E17E-87AD-4D8F-A45D-BDD49F34C7C1.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 4
  • ED663C72-550A-4FE7-95BC-BDD07D1904C4.jpeg
    ED663C72-550A-4FE7-95BC-BDD07D1904C4.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Davishii

FNG
I like these better than either one you mentioned... I have the Alaskan Hunters and they were great out of the box, no hot spots and fit well.

I had the same opinion about Crispi, felt worn out lack of padding from new. Kenetrek might be good after 100 miles and might not, a lot of money for an experiment.
Way too much money for an experiment when all the forums indicate an ongoing issue with blisters. Just not worth the risk. That is all I am saying.

Way too much money for an experiment when all the forums indicate an ongoing issue with blisters. Just not worth the risk. That is all I am saying.

Sorry your hunt got botched but bashing a boot company because they didnt work for YOU is BS in my opinion.
Boots fit different for everyone and even different models of of the same brand. The boot you picked has a super stiff sole and if the sole isnt bending while your walking its likely that your heel will lift as something has to give. The boots you picked are made for hunting super steep rugged terrain where you dont want the sole to bend. Im sure that the Mountain extreme's which is a softer sole would not have torn you up as bad.

I dont know of a company out there that gives refunds or pays for boot stretching just because it doesn't fit your foot. I think the lesson here for everyone is to find the boot that feels the best testing it inside... Then bite the bullet and break the boots in and test them in similar conditions that you would hunt in. Even flatlanders can load up a pack with 3olbs and find a hill to walk up and down. If the boot doesn't work then sell it... Once a guy finds what works for him then he is golden. I have been through tons of boots that didn't work.... Kenetrek mountain extremes are amazing for ME and many many other folks.