Crispi Model

Which crispi model would everyone recommend for BC mountain goat and stone sheep hunting? I have kennetrek mountain extreme's right now but am looking to try crispi.

nphunter

WKR
I have been wearing Lowa Tibets and Meindl AK Hunters for the last few years with great performance on really steep rugged terrain. They discontinued the Meindl boot and I have had durability issues with the Lowas, I decided to give the Crispi Nevada a try and am very dissatisfied with the boot. My Keen Ketchums are a stiffer boot, the Nevada is a well built very comfortable boot, but it is super flexible and there is no way I could use it for heavy hauling like I do my Meindl boots. I took them shed hunting last week and I don't remember the last time I have felt so much foot fatigue.

Reading reviews I have read that the Nevada is a relatively stiff boot, that is not the case at all compared to a real mountaineering boot. I ordered some Scarpa Grand Dru's earlier this week and if they fit my feet I will have a brand new pair of Nevadas for sale. I believe my Meindl boots are comparable to the mountain extremes for stiffness, Crispi does offer a couple boots that are stiffer but IMO they would have to be way, way stiffer than the Nevada which is ranked a 3 to be a good boot for something like a sheep hunt. If I had to rate my Nevadas from a scale of 1 to 10 with a full shanked Scarpa as a 10 and a flip flop as a 1 then I would put the Nevadas somewhere around 3, my 8 year old keens are honestly stiffer than the Nevadas front to back. I would say my lowa tibets would be around a 5, I broke two footbeds in the Lowas so it's hard to give them much of a rating and my Meindl AK Hunters would be around a 7.

Hope that helps, I would definitely try a pair out and see, they have the Briksdal Stiff Flex which is there stiffest boot, I would probably start with that if I was to purchase another Crispi, personally I am pretty disappointed in the Nevada though, it is a well-made boot but for $400 I expected a more rugged boot, It is not comparable to my Tibets, Meindl or Scarpa boots I currently have as far as being a bombproof mountain boot.

I hope that info was helpful,

The Meindl, AK hunter is on the Left (new Hoffman soles), Scarpa Mont Blanc, Crispi Nevada and Lowa Tibet.

Boot.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the birksdall SF and the guide, I'd use either one for a sheep/goat hunt. The birksdall is stiffer so its nice when on nasty terrain and carrying a heavy pack. If I was doing a long walk in hunt though I'd probably take the guide.

I have the Crispi Hunter GTX, and found it very close to the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. If you want a similar boot to the Hunter that is not as tall (2 inches shorter), the Crispi Guide GTX is it.

I researched for 2 months, got down to the Crispi Hunter GTX and the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. I read a lot of posts that really recommended the Crispi's for their ankle support. I finally broke down and ordered the Crispi's. WOW!!! most comfortable boot I've ever put on out of the box. It may need a little break in but in 2 days they're already showing good progress. I haven't been in any super rough country yet but did some hill siding tonight on a 2 mile cross country hike and the ankle support is great. Not the lightest boot for sure but I wasn't looking for light, I was looking for tough, and I think I got it.

I normally wear a 13 with the occasional need for a 14. I went with the 14's for mountain work and it was the perfect call. They're just big enough to be sure of no toe jamming.

Jimss

WKR
My preference is mid weight hikers over tall super stiff boots for sheep and mtn goat hunts. Obviously there is extra weight plus more stiffness with taller boots. I hike just about every day for work on fairly steep slopes with the same boots I use for sheep, goat, and other hunts. I have strong ankles that are in pretty good shape and would rather use lighter boots with a little less stiffness. I would likely have more "fatigue" when covering miles upon miles of country with added weight than added support. Quality mid weight hikers have plenty of ankle support when hauling hefty loads on steep rocky terrain (at least for me). If you need additional support than taller boots may work better for you?

With that said, I have Lowa Tibets. Although they work well for sheep terrain and are super comfortable they are a tad stiff and heavy. I had pretty good luck with Lowa Vantage and Lowa Caminos. I just bought 2 pairs of Crispis (Wyomings and Dakotas). I got fantastic deals on both of them. Both of them ought to work great for sheep. If I had the cash I likely would have bought Nevadas. The Nevadas are one of the most comfortable boots I've put my feet into! The Briksdals also look really good and the old Briksdal models are currently around $100 off....which is a great deal. They are a little stiffer and heavier than both the Wyo's and Dakotas.

My preference is all leather boots with the fewest seams available. I totally abuse boots at work year round and all leather tends to outlast synthetic boots with seams. The more seams....the better chance they will fall apart at the seams when wet or abused in rock. I also like boots with rubber toe rands. I would also advise buying boots around 1/2 to 1 size larger. This leaves plenty of room to add padded insoles. IWith more room I can also relax the laces when I want to wear a little heavier socks when it's super cold....cinch the laces down when I wear thinner socks.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would check the Colorado and the Briksdal. The Briksdal has two models, the regular and SF (stiff flex). The SF’s are pretty damn stiff and if your foot likes them they’d be a good option for that steep terrain. The regular Briksdal is slightly less stiff, but still a great mountain boot. The Briksdal is more narrow than the Colorado.

Check GoHunt and their boot selection as well. I picked up a pair of Salewa Rapace that are a between a Colorado and Briksdal. They fit my foot great and they’re cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Crispi wild rocks wanted something for all seasons in Montana which can be 90 in September so might be heavy for that. They are insulated but not enough to notice in warm weather. They are nice in the snow worn to kids soccer and football games so more standing around than walking and feet were perfect. They are a solid platform boot fairly stiff, short break in period have hiked in them and they were great. Overall they fit normal size for me had a little rub on top of toes but worked in the leather and they are good now. Just bought a pair of schnee timberline and they supposed to be less rigid they will be daily work boots so we will see. Crispi is the way to go in my opinion tried on kenetreks and too much like a tennis shoe for me. I am military and have worn some really crappy issued boots so might be some of why I want more of the boot feel.

Venom One

WKR
Good thread. I like the look of the Crispi boots and thought about getting some. I bought the Salomon GTX hikers about 3 yrs ago and I'm really loving them. Lightweight and durable; I hunt in WA which means walking thru a lot of blackberry country and the boots still look new. I wish they were a little taller to keep debris out, but I usually wear gaiters so it's not a big deal.

Big Ern

WKR
I just switched to the Crispi Briksdal from an L&S Mtn Hunter. For goat/sheep go with the SF. I have the regular Briksdal and it just isn’t that stiff. Super comfy and seems like a great all-around hunting boot for chasing elk and muleys in the Rocky Mountains.

Rick M.

WKR
I would check the Colorado and the Briksdal. The Briksdal has two models, the regular and SF (stiff flex). The SF’s are pretty damn stiff and if your foot likes them they’d be a good option for that steep terrain. The regular Briksdal is slightly less stiff, but still a great mountain boot. The Briksdal is more narrow than the Colorado.

Check GoHunt and their boot selection as well. I picked up a pair of Salewa Rapace that are a between a Colorado and Briksdal. They fit my foot great and they’re cheaper.

Jordan,

What's your opinion of the Rapaces so far? I have been researching my next mountain hunting boots for a couple of weeks and as of now the Rapaces are at the top of my list.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used them all season. Been a great boot but I think they started leaning in AK. I need to do a bathtub test

Rick M.

WKR
I used them all season. Been a great boot but I think they started leaning in AK. I need to do a bathtub test

Do you plan on sending them to Gore-Tex? That's a bummer if they've started getting wet after one season. I may grab the Tibets or Briksdals instead.

Have both the Colorado's and regular Briksdal's. The Brik's are narrower, but they will stretch out once your foot is in them and laced up. Hint: put them on and wear around loose for a little bit walking around camp, and lace up before heading out. Otherwise, not much of an issue for medium width feet.

Either would work.