Crispi Nevada heel tearing on both boots

Ehiggins

WKR
Has anyone else had this problem with their Nevada’s? I just got back from a week of elk hunting and noticed this spot on both boots when I was cleaning them up. They are in great shape otherwise but this seems like an odd place to fail. Pretty disappointing.

9edd952868a87477f0fe7c532a7bed46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
The good news is that even if they won’t warranty that damage, a good cobbler can easily repair and beef up the damaged leather.

AKaDougie

FNG
I have had mine for 5 years now and they look beat up, however, I have put them through their paces here in Alaska. No fail on them they are good boots.

How old are your boots? How much usage have you put them through?
Maybe it is just time for a new pair of boots.

OP
Ehiggins

Ehiggins

WKR
I bought them in December of 2017. They are in fine shape otherwise, 3 elk hunts in then, a handful of longer scouting trips plus the usual stuff around Missouri (deer,turkey, sheds, etc).

fwafwow

WKR
Has anyone else had this problem with their Nevada’s? I just got back from a week of elk hunting and noticed this spot on both boots when I was cleaning them up. They are in great shape otherwise but this seems like an odd place to fail. Pretty disappointing.

9edd952868a87477f0fe7c532a7bed46.jpg

Did you contact Crispi? I’m interested because I’m looking at these for my next pair.

OP
Ehiggins

Ehiggins

WKR
Did you contact Crispi? I’m interested because I’m looking at these for my next pair.

Yeah, since they were over 1 year old they recommended a cobbler who could fix them but I was responsible for the cost. Sent them to Gary’s Shoes in UT, I think the total with shipping was $35. They did a really nice job fixing them.
4e39d8d08efd47d8ea3623850315959d.jpg

peterk123

WKR
Wow, that is a nice job. I have been pouring through all the threads about boots. Here is another example why it is worth getting very good leather boots. They can be repaired. And they are worth repairing.

OP
Ehiggins

Ehiggins

WKR
Wow, that is a nice job. I have been pouring through all the threads about boots. Here is another example why it is worth getting very good leather boots. They can be repaired. And they are worth repairing.

Yeah I think they did a great job too, I don’t know how but they were able to do it but it doesn’t look like they’ve
took the boot apart anywhere yet somehow they only sewed through the leather so the liner stayed waterproof. Also the piece of the leather they used is of higher quality than the factory “leather”

Yeah, since they were over 1 year old they recommended a cobbler who could fix them but I was responsible for the cost. Sent them to Gary’s Shoes in UT, I think the total with shipping was $35. They did a really nice job fixing them.
4e39d8d08efd47d8ea3623850315959d.jpg

Hmmm. For both boots to have the same issue at about the same time seems like a materials or manufacturing issue to me. 3 years old? Hmmm. I guess if you really put some miles on them, maybe. I am a lowlander most of the year so I have some boots that are the functional equivalent of safe queens. i break them in and then only use them for “real” hunting. They may get 50 miles a year so I would expect them to last for a long time. 5-10 years.

I really like Crispi boots but had an issue a while ago where I liked the way my Idaho’s fit my wide foot so much I bought a second pair. After a bit of a delay, they sent me a set labeled regular width. I contacted them and the CS guy was like, ”nope, those are wides, they were just mislabeled”. I replied “ they don’t fit the same as the same set of boots I bought six months ago that are labeled wides”. I basically got a few “these aren’t the droids you‘re looking for” emails and started calling. Finally got someone to say, send them back. I got a refund (less return shipping I had to pay) it never got my second set of boots.

I have bought 2 other pairs since from black ovis and Crispi is probably my favorite fit in a hunting boot but I continue to be suspect of their CS.

by way of contrasting example,

I have sent 2 items back to vortex. A new one shows up very quickly. No questions asked.

I had a pair of Filson upland boots with limited use and the midsole crumbled and the sole came unglued on booth boots after 6 years. Sent them pics. “Send them to Us” 10 days later a brad new pair showed up with a $25 gift certicificate to cover shipping.

I had a pair of 5 year old kanabs from first lite that I “lost” in my gear storage. They had very little use. I pulled them out this year to wear scouting and promptly had a crotchetel blow out. Sent pics. “Send us the pants”. they sent me some new obsidians and even updated the size since they have gone a bit skinny jeans in the last five years.

i Tend to “break up” with companies that don’t stand behind their gear (Looking at you kuiu and your dog $#!+ alpine pants). I hope Crispi keeps their customer service as solid as their product. I really like how their boots fit, but if I had another issue they didn’t cover, I would move on To another brand.

Last edited:

Catahoula

WKR
Unfortunate failure. I have the the Crispi Nevada and have not had any issues with the boots on any part of the boot. Have a couple friends who also have never reported structural problems. Happy to see that the repair you (OP) got looks great. 👍🏽

OP
Ehiggins

Ehiggins

WKR
Hmmm. For both boots to have the same issue at about the same time seems like a materials or manufacturing issue to me. 3 years old? Hmmm. I guess if you really put some miles on them, maybe. I have some boots that are the functional equivalent of safe queens. i break them in and then only use them for “real” hunting. They may get 50 miles a year so I would expect them to last for a long time. 5-10 years.

I really like Crispi boots but had an issue a while ago where I liked the way my Idaho’s fit my wide foot so much I bought a second pair. After a bit of a delay, they sent me a set labeled regular width. I contacted them and the CS guy was like, ”nope, those are wides, they were just mislabeled”. I replied “ they don’t fit the same as the same set of boots I bought six months ago that are labeled wides”. I basically got a few “these aren’t the droids you‘re looking for” emails and started calling. Finally got someone to say, send them back. I got a refund (less return shipping I had to pay) it never got my second set of boots.

I have bought 2 other pairs since from black ovis and Crispi is probably my favorite fit in a hunting boot but I continue to be suspect of their CS.

I have sent 2 items back to vortex. A new one shows up very quickly. No questions asked.

I had a pair of Filson upland boots with limited use and the midsole crumbled and the sole came unglued on booth boots after 6 years. Sent them pics. “Send them to Us” 10 days later a brad new pair showed up with a $25 gift certicificate to cover shipping.

I had a pair of 5 year old kanabs from first lite that I “lost” in my gear storage. They had very little use. I pulled them out this year to wear scouting and promptly had a crotchetel blow out. Sent pics. “Send us the pants”. they sent me some new obsidians and even updated the size since they have gone a bit skinny jeans in the last five years.

i Tend to “break up” with companies that don’t stand behind their gear (Looking at you kuiu and your dog $#!+ alpine pants). I hope Crispi keeps their customer service as solid as their product. I really like how their boots fit, but if I had another issue they didn’t cover, I would move on To another brand.

They are 3 years old and have a good amount of miles on them. The week before I found that issue was a 60+mile trip for example, but I get your point about both failing at the same time. I generally agree with you on supporting companies that stand behind their products, but you have to draw the line somewhere between manufacturing defect and wear from use. After 3 years and hundreds of miles I’m not complaining about them needing a maintenance at my expense.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Had a similar issue on a pair of Hanwags. Boots had many miles on them (multiple goat, sheep and caribou trips). The company did zero for me. The retailer tried to warranty them through gore since the inner bootie also ripped. But no deal. Retailer offered me a discount on a new pair which was nice of them but I moved on. I still have them and use as a beater/training pair, probably should trash them soon. 4E83B806-8A75-4C0F-BF49-A4DB34C6F3A5.jpeg

OP
Ehiggins

Ehiggins

WKR
Yeah initially I was aggravated thinking that the boots were heading for the trash, but the liner was fine and it was a cheap fix that should last longer than the original piece. I leak checked them afterwards and no issues so I’m happy.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I asked a few buddies if I should be pissed about it. Consensus was that I got my money’s worth, which is true, but still aggravating when they were about 450 bucks for me. That’s part of the reason I still use them!

fwafwow

WKR
Hmmm. For both boots to have the same issue at about the same time seems like a materials or manufacturing issue to me. 3 years old? Hmmm. I guess if you really put some miles on them, maybe. I am a lowlander most of the year so I have some boots that are the functional equivalent of safe queens. i break them in and then only use them for “real” hunting. They may get 50 miles a year so I would expect them to last for a long time. 5-10 years.

This is pretty helpful - thanks! I had also looked at the Filson boots, and notwithstanding their good CS for you in that instance, I may take another route. May the Force be with you in your future Crispi experiences.

They are 3 years old and have a good amount of miles on them. The week before I found that issue was a 60+mile trip for example, but I get your point about both failing at the same time. I generally agree with you on supporting companies that stand behind their products, but you have to draw the line somewhere between manufacturing defect and wear from use. After 3 years and hundreds of miles I’m not complaining about them needing a maintenance at my expense.

Fair enough. If you have a few hundred miles on your crispis, I might feel differently. Of my 3 pairs, all are holding up well and my Thor’s have become my favorite hiking boots. if I had one gripe, it appears the soles are wearing faster than the asolos and Merrill’s I used before. Apart from that, I am very happy with their product.

This is pretty helpful - thanks! I had also looked at the Filson boots, and notwithstanding their good CS for you in that instance, I may take another route. May the Force be with you in your future Crispi experiences.
Not to derail the thread further but I use the filsons as around town cold weather boots mostly. They would probably be fine in the field but they are just too pretty for me to mess them up.