Crispi Thor GTX 2.0 / Salewa MTN Trainer Lite GTX / Invo-8 Roclite 345 GTX Mini Comparison

ChrisAU

WKR
I had settled on Salewa MTN Trainer Lite's for my upcoming 1st rifle elk hunt (well a buddies hunt, but anyway) but then last week a couple of sales and Ryan's review of the Inov-8's got the better of my curiosity and credit card.

Crispi Thor 2.0's - 11 Wide - Got some in yesterday through the BlackOvis sale, always wanted to try them. Man, they are much more of a "boot" than I was expecting. They are stiff. I've had Scarpa Grand Dru's before and they aren't much more flexible than they were. I'm not sure if the 2.0's are stiffer than the old ones, but this really surprised me, perhaps they will loosen up after some wear. Also, for anyone else trying to love some, I found a huge difference in heel lock when using the optional lace points down the side of the ankle. Walking around the house I have 0 heel slip, that I something I've never accomplished the first time trying on any type of stiffish boot. They came in a touch heavier than expected as well, my 11 Wides are 50.7 oz on my scale, 3 lbs 2.7 oz. Not heavy by any means, and again, these feel much more substantial than anything else I've tried in that weight range. I'm still leery on gaining a few oz over my Salewa MTN Trainer Lites (44 oz for the pair, 11.5's) but I'm thinking the extra protection and stability will be worth it for this flat lander. The top of foot/upper material seems very durable on the Thor's compared to the Salewa's and makes the Inov-8's feel like they are made of tracing paper. You can see the substantial difference in the toe rand in the photo below too. It also feels like the 11 wide Crispi's have just the little extra width I needed over the 11.5 Salewa's, though the Salewas do have a wide toe box compared to the La Sportiva's and Scarpa's I've tried.

More on the Inov-8's, man what a light boot (err shoe?) with outstanding sole design for off-trail, but I really think I'd have to watch my feet too much off trail. I think briars here in Alabama would shred the Inov-8's, I just don't know if I could trust them on a once a year hunt. If I lived out West and was able to hunt multiple times I'd sure give them a shot though, the pair of 11.5's is 27.2 oz! That could make an amazing difference on fatigue levels over a long hunt. Both the Crispi and the Salewa are significantly taller, I've never been one to need ankle support, but I've also not hunted out West in anything as short as the Inov-8's. I worry more about dunking them in a creek than the ankle support. I'm not going to stand in a creek and fish during a hunt, but I also know it can be tricky finding the right rocks to make the difference in 4" of submersion and 6".

boots.jpeg

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Crispis about a week ago, 11.5 Wide. Walked around in the house about an hour and put I few miles on in the mountains last Saturday. Rucked with 50 lbs for a couple miles last week and scouted yesterday with them. Pretty much zero break in and they fit great. Really happy with them.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
So, took the tags off the Crispis and I am going to wear them on a training hike in the morning and discovered something odd...the left boot is a full 0.8 oz lighter than the right one. They are the exact same size, and I can’t find anything different from one to the other. This combined with removing the little metal “Crispi” tab on front of the laces (it screamed wear point to me) got the pair down to 49.8 oz from 50.7...not significant, but statistically significant if comparing two pairs of boots based on weight. Man, I’m gonna come out of the mountains with a bigger right calf muscle! :D

I went through the same process with light synthetic boots. I think I tried 5/6 pairs including those salewas. The stand outs to me were the Thors (had 3 pairs) and Zamberlan Baltoro lites.

I went through the same process with light synthetic boots. I think I tried 5/6 pairs including those salewas. The stand outs to me were the Thors (had 3 pairs) and Zamberlan Baltoro lites.
Interesting why is that? On paper I passed them up because of how stiff they were and heavy compared to the lapponia I went with. I have Cripsi briksdal mtn Gtx and Neveda boots that I love, but the lapponia give me bad blisters.

Last edited: