Crispi Thor GTX Durability And Waterpoof?

Tried these on yesterday and they fit my foot fantastically.

Found a few reviews but most reviews were short term. Does anyone have long term durability info? What about the waterproof-ability of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
Wore a pair of them all last season. Included around 18-20 days of elk hunting and helping out for 4 days on a goat hunt in Colorado. Terrain was everything from aspens with grass and shrub undergrowth, to high alpine goat country. Was actually really surprised with how much I liked them at higher altitude with all the rocks and scree.

Can't say I ever hunted in anything too wet, except some decent morning dew, so can't really attribute to their water proof-ness. My feet did stay dry the whole time I used them though.

As far as durability, I haven't had any issues, which is great because I have went through one pair of Crispi boots relatively quickly and have heard several other accounts of people having leaking boots and peeling rands quicker than expected. I think the stitched leather rand makes a big difference on increasing the durability instead of a glued on rubber rand.

OP
T
Wore a pair of them all last season. Included around 18-20 days of elk hunting and helping out for 4 days on a goat hunt in Colorado. Terrain was everything from aspens with grass and shrub undergrowth, to high alpine goat country. Was actually really surprised with how much I liked them at higher altitude with all the rocks and scree.

Can't say I ever hunted in anything too wet, except some decent morning dew, so can't really attribute to their water proof-ness. My feet did stay dry the whole time I used them though.

As far as durability, I haven't had any issues, which is great because I have went through one pair of Crispi boots relatively quickly and have heard several other accounts of people having leaking boots and peeling rands quicker than expected. I think the stitched leather rand makes a big difference on increasing the durability instead of a glued on rubber rand.

How is the tread and EVA sole wearing?

What model was the pair that you went through fairly quickly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I went through a pair of the Nevada uninsulated boots much quicker than I should have, BUT, in Crispi's defense, I didn't treat them with the conditioner or anything. In my defense though, the boots only lasted me 4 1/2 months, but were used extensively (talking like 600+ miles, in all kinds of conditions in Colorado from June-October). Maybe they would have lasted longer if I used the conditioner cream, I don't know.

Tread on the Thor's seems to have held up pretty good, I'd say they still have around 80% tread left after the usage described in my first post. Wouldn't be at all surprised to get a good 4+ seasons use out of them, depending on how much you use them. Luckily, since the boot is mostly synthetic material it won't require very much care to keep lasting.

Kotaman

WKR
I used mine a little last fall and have been snow shoeing in them all winter. The snow has been wet and slushy the last couple weeks and my feet have stayed dry. Mine have no signs of wear. I liberally treat them with the Crispi spray.

I like Thors due to lightweight yet stiff sole for above timberline hikes.
After less than 100 miles of hiking in Crispi Thor,
there were 2 major problems:
1) Cloth ankle eyelets all wore out (metal eyelets would be better)
Crispi_Thor_Boots.jpg
2) Wet feet since the gortex goes up only 2 inches in the boot, leading to a 2" bathtub after
crossing shallow streams.
No gortex allowing drainage or a full gortex bootie would be a better choice.

Steadman

WKR
Have wore the Thor for three years. Put in a lot of miles. They wore pretty danged good and I'm really rough on boots for some reason. In fact wore so well I ordered a new pair for this season. If they fit you well, go for it, that's the most important part. They fit my feet great as well.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Thors are one of my favorite pairs of boots. I’ve had three pairs, my feet never got wet wearing them (usually with gaiters). I am trying some different boots now because the Thor’s would only last me 6-8 months, but they may last you years and be worth it. I’m trying the Hanwag Makra Trek and Salewa Rapace now, looking for a replacement that’ll last more than a season.

I sent mine back for warranty repair to Crispi.
Does the ThorII still use cloth ankle eyelets like the original Thor?
I like the stiffness and lighweight Thor, but need metal eyelets.
Crispi_Thor_Boots.jpg

I sent mine back for warranty repair to Crispi.
Does the ThorII still use cloth ankle eyelets like the original Thor?
I like the stiffness and lighweight Thor, but need metal eyelets.
View attachment 299162

My Thor I's and II's both have the cloth eyelet. Ive worn Thors for 3+ years now and havent had that issue with the cloth eyelet, but the way I tie them I dont wrench on them in that area. I tighten the lower section and just sort of keep that tension with the cloth eyelets, double overhand after that and then run the upper 2 and tighten again.

The Thor is probably my favorite boot, but may lose that status soon. If you like the Thor but want to get away from that cloth loop, try out the Hanwag Makra Trek (or Makra Combi, but I prefer the Trek). Similar feel and function to the Thor, but theres a lack lock in that spot instead of the cloth loop. The Makra Trek has a more flexible sole, but also has some protection over the toe cap, whereas the Makra Combi's sole is more in line with the Thors stiffness, but has virtualy no protection over the toe cap.

My Thor I's and II's both have the cloth eyelet. Ive worn Thors for 3+ years now and havent had that issue with the cloth eyelet, but the way I tie them I dont wrench on them in that area. I tighten the lower section and just sort of keep that tension with the cloth eyelets, double overhand after that and then run the upper 2 and tighten again.

The Thor is probably my favorite boot, but may lose that status soon. If you like the Thor but want to get away from that cloth loop, try out the Hanwag Makra Trek (or Makra Combi, but I prefer the Trek). Similar feel and function to the Thor, but theres a lack lock in that spot instead of the cloth loop. The Makra Trek has a more flexible sole, but also has some protection over the toe cap, whereas the Makra Combi's sole is more in line with the Thors stiffness, but has virtualy no protection over the toe cap.
I went with the Crispi Colorado which has metal eyelets instead of cloth eyelets and has a full gortex bootie so my feet stay dry crossing creeks.

I went with the Crispi Colorado which has metal eyelets instead of cloth eyelets and has a full gortex bootie so my feet stay dry crossing creeks.

Good choice. I have Colorados as well. A bit more boot than the Thor, but ultimately more durable, more versatile with better ankle support. I will bring either the Thor and Colorado or Makra Trek and Colorado this year.

Last edited:
I like the fit and comfort of the Thor’s but they broke down pretty fast for me. I lost over half of the tread on the soles and the majority of the rigidity after two desert sheep hunts in Mexico. Not sure I’d buy them again. I picked up the Briksdals so hopefully the durability is better.

I was surprised...sent back the Thors to have the cloth eyelets replaced with
a Crispi authorized RMA to Crispi's cobbler in Utah.
The cobbler contacted Crispi and wanted to install metal eyelets,
but Crispi had him install new cloth eyelets instead.
I will never purchase Crispi boots due to this poor customer service decision.
Crispi_Thor_Boots.jpg