Crispi Thor II GTX...a more flexible sole alternative?

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running Crispi Thor II GTX boots for the past two years and overall I love them for a lightweight, fast boot that lets you scramble on the sidehills with a lot of support. Where these bad boys let me down is when I carry more than about 30-35lbs for several miles. They become painful at about mile 3 and those ultra stiff soles feel like punishment, I don't have this same issue with Briksdals but those are a warmer boot that I reserve for later in the season. Does anyone else have this same issue? Do you have a hack for this or a different boot recommendation for lightweight "haul the mail" boots? I've heard the HanWag Makra can fill this slot but I've never owned any HanWags. I will keep the Thors for early season day hunts when I can hunt close to the rig, but if I want to carry 50lbs or more I have to do something different.

Sako300

WKR
I’m running these for heavier loads and more cushion in my thors

Attachments

• 06AA99B8-426E-4FF3-AD8F-00BD244D4597.jpeg
    06AA99B8-426E-4FF3-AD8F-00BD244D4597.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 80
OP
TexDoc

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I have some Superfeet insoles in them, but I don't think they are the trailblazers. I'll have to check to see what I have. I definitely want to keep the Thors but I need to be able to stand them for more miles with more weight!

cmahoney

WKR
I’m looking for a boot between my Soloman xultra mids and Crispi Nevada’s. I was up in some really rocky stuff a couple weeks ago and the bottom of my feet were hammered because of the soft soles on my solomons.

Would you guys recommend the Thor’s with a good insole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
The Salomon Quest 4D GTX fits about like the Thor with a more pliable sole.

Having said that, the Thors have the softest upper of any mid-hiker I have tried and offer almost no support, with the stiff sole being the only supportive aspect of that boot. I wouldn't want to use the Salomons as a packing boot.

Another boot you might look at is the Lowa Renegade., softer sole than the Thor but a more s8upportive upper than the Salomon. They all fit about the same for me.

OP
TexDoc

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for a boot between my Soloman xultra mids and Crispi Nevada’s. I was up in some really rocky stuff a couple weeks ago and the bottom of my feet were hammered because of the soft soles on my solomons.

Would you guys recommend the Thor’s with a good insole?

That's the type of terrain I think the Thors earn their keep in and where I've had my best experiences with them along with side hilling. I tried the Superfeet insoles recommended earlier in this thread and it has made a world of difference with the Thors. I also ordered some Sheep Feet insoles a few weeks ago but have not received them so I can't vouch for those yet.

cmahoney

WKR
That's the type of terrain I think the Thors earn their keep in and where I've had my best experiences with them along with side hilling. I tried the Superfeet insoles recommended earlier in this thread and it has made a world of difference with the Thors. I also ordered some Sheep Feet insoles a few weeks ago but have not received them so I can't vouch for those yet.

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear. I’ve been using super feet in my running shoes and work boots for years. I have sheep feet in my Nevada’s and I’m impressed.

OP
TexDoc

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear. I’ve been using super feet in my running shoes and work boots for years. I have sheep feet in my Nevada’s and I’m impressed.

Good deal, glad I could help. I used the Superfeet Trailblazers and I'm excited to get the sheep feet in these boots!

Jimss

WKR
Obviously everyone’s feet are a little different. I buy boots about 1 size large so I can add padded insoles plus different thickness padded bottomed socks. I can cinch the laces down with thinner padded bottomed socks when it’s hot and relax the laces with thicker socks when it’s cold.

superfeet insoles are way to hard for my feet but sound like they work well for quite a few others. I prefer more padded insoles that I replace on a regular basis.

Jimss

WKR
The Wyo’s are a great boot. There is a review of them on this forum. My only complaint is they are a bit heavy. They have worked great for me on sheep and goat hunts.

Jimss

WKR
The Wyo’s are a great boot. There is a review of them on this forum. My only complaint is they are a bit heavy. They have worked great for me on sheep and goat hunt. I would really like to try out Thor’s since they are a chunk lighter.

cmahoney

WKR
The Wyo’s are a great boot. There is a review of them on this forum. My only complaint is they are a bit heavy. They have worked great for me on sheep and goat hunts.

The weight is why I was looking at the thors. I love my 1 pound soloman’s, but want something with just a little heavier sole and a little more support for the rocky stuff.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In regards to weight, guessing it might be an individual thing (foot shape, etc) as I've had no problems whatsoever with hauling loads with my Thor's (knock on wood :D). I had one of my toughest pack outs this year backcountry mule deer hunting. 7.5 miles from the trailhead (about 3 of those miles off trail)- took one load of ~70 lbs ( meat/rifle/camping gear) out the day I harvested him, the next day went in light but went out again with a ~ 70 lb load, fifteen miles round trip.

My back, shoulders and legs were pretty toast, but feet were in pretty good shape. I've used them with heavier loads (probably in the 100 lb range), but shorter distances: 2-5 miles.

Love my thors. If I had one gripe, the outsole wore down a little faster than expected. I presume that is a trade off for a lighter weight and more grippy sole.

on my second pair now and they have become my go to bottom for warmer weather.