Crispi Valdres Experiences

I have officially reached the paralysis stage of boot research. Based on research and the reviews I’ve been able to find I’m leaning toward a pair of Crispi Valdres Plus gtx boots.

For reference I hunt Washington (high country and foothills) and will be doing a back country Idaho elk hunt this fall. I’m honestly just trying to get an all around reliable boot that’s light weight and water proof with reasonable stability. It still needs to hold up to this Washington brush and nasty wet weather.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this boot. To me it seems this boot is under rated give the mostly leather construction and a full rubber rand in a light weight package.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Got a pair earlier this spring. Havent been off pavement with them yet but they are really easy on my feet. Spent a couple LONG days at the hospital with them on and my feet never got tired. Stiffer than something like a Lowa Renegade which was the other boot I was down too, but not cumbersome or awkward feeling at all.

OP
S
Got a pair earlier this spring. Havent been off pavement with them yet but they are really easy on my feet. Spent a couple LONG days at the hospital with them on and my feet never got tired. Stiffer than something like a Lowa Renegade which was the other boot I was down too, but not cumbersome or awkward feeling at all.

I did go to my local REI and try on the Lowa Renegades and Caminos. I liked the Caminos but they felt a little clunky and weren’t the lightest boot.

Did you happen to try on the Caminos? If so how do the Valdres compare?

Btaylor

WKR
I did not. I was looking for something just a tad more sturdy than the Renegade but still comfy enough to even wear as an everyday boot. Valdres hits that mark square on for me. Prolly some other out there that would too but I havent ran across them.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I just tried the valdres and the toe box was far too narrow but they seemed like a decent boot. I think I would have been happy with them had they fit well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
I tried them on alongside the Nevadas, Dakotas, and a few others. They were lighter and the sole was more flexible. I really wanted to like them, but the toe “break” (the crease when your rear foot comes up on the toes) was way higher up my foot than the other boots and I had way more heel movement also.

I’m in your boat. I’ve tried on about 15 boots this month and can’t find a good fit.

Salamon Quest 4Ds fit the best but I was really wanting a leather boot.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I desperately wanted to like the crispis with all the hype they get here but the Valdres and Dakota neither felt at home at all on my feet. I went Danner Crag Rat which were on sale on amazon. They felt really good for a leather boot out of the box, im still breaking them in but have been meeting expectations so far a tough light full leather boot.

OP
S
I’m in your boat. I’ve tried on about 15 boots this month and can’t find a good fit.

Salamon Quest 4Ds fit the best but I was really wanting a leather boot.

I completely agree. I also tried on the quest 4d boots at REI and they were very comfortable and fit my feet very well. I run around in trail runners all summer so the stability isn’t a huge issue. But like you, I really wanted a reliable and water proof leather boot that doesn’t weight a ton.

OP
S
I desperately wanted to like the crispis with all the hype they get here but the Valdres and Dakota neither felt at home at all on my feet. I went Danner Crag Rat which were on sale on amazon. They felt really good for a leather boot out of the box, im still breaking them in but have been meeting expectations so far a tough light full leather boot.

I’m glad you mentioned these boots as I hadn’t even heard of them. I’ve owned Danners in the past for work boots and have always been happy. I did look at the weight though and they are on the lighter end of the spectrum. They seem to be similar weight as the Lowa Caminos, I wonder how they compare in stiffness. The only reason I would compare them to the Camino is I have actually seen that boot in person and tried it on.

gbflyer

WKR
I have officially reached the paralysis stage of boot research. Based on research and the reviews I’ve been able to find I’m leaning toward a pair of Crispi Valdres Plus gtx boots.

For reference I hunt Washington (high country and foothills) and will be doing a back country Idaho elk hunt this fall. I’m honestly just trying to get an all around reliable boot that’s light weight and water proof with reasonable stability. It still needs to hold up to this Washington brush and nasty wet weather.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this boot. To me it seems this boot is under rated give the mostly leather construction and a full rubber rand in a light weight package.

Thanks in advance!

I have them. Wear almost every day as a work boot here in sloppy SE AK. They fit my foot great from day one. I’m going to buy another pair before they change or discontinue.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I’m glad you mentioned these boots as I hadn’t even heard of them. I’ve owned Danners in the past for work boots and have always been happy. I did look at the weight though and they are on the lighter end of the spectrum. They seem to be similar weight as the Lowa Caminos, I wonder how they compare in stiffness. The only reason I would compare them to the Camino is I have actually seen that boot in person and tried it on.

The advertised weight was a few onces more then the 2 crispi options however on my feet they had a lighter perceived feel. The leather uppers are softer and have a more broken in feel out of the box the toe box was roomier in width and height than both crispis however the softer uppers trade off is a bit less support then the valdres and definitely didn't have all the ankle support the Dakotas did but as a trail runner my ankles are fairly strong and I prefer to have a bit more freedom to flex the ankle and use the calf some. The sole seemed a tiny hair stiffer then the crispi 3 rating but maybe a 3.2? They go up and down well, and side hill decent enough for scrambling across a ridge if I was in bad stuff all day I'm going to pull out my lowa baffins but I wanted a high mileage boot for turkey hunting the eastern mountains.

I did no break in and just wore them 4am to noon for 4 straight days turkey hunting western MD. No blisters but I have gotten a bit of heel lift I'm trying to dial the laces in. And day 1 I started getting some pinch on the top pink toe left foot only at the boots flex point. This was less noticeable each subsequent day so I think it's nothing to worry about.

I did love the rocker and grippy vibrams on the crispi sole. If the toe boxes worked I would have loved them, maybe a wide valdres would have been the ticket but I was getting hit for shipping every time I returned and it takes a while to see my money back on my CC so I eventually went the route of Amazon prime wardrobe with the Danners.

I also swapped the insoles for a superfeet merino hunt, not sure it was necessary it's just what I did from the start.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the Valdres and the Nevada. I don't think I need the extra ankle support in the Nevada's, and am leaning toward the Valdres. What am I missing?

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the Valdres and the Nevada. I don't think I need the extra ankle support in the Nevada's, and am leaning toward the Valdres. What am I missing?
From my talks with crispi the valdres is their narrowest boot so it'll depend on your feet. I wish I had tried a wide. For what I was looking for I think it would have been a great boot had my foot fit it

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have some Valdres boots along with some mammut trovat and lowa renegades fit those three comparisons they are all slightly different boots. I wear the renegades for work and like them so far only one month in. Not too stiff but not sure the grip is there in the tread pattern. The valdres are very comfortable and slightly stiffer than the lowas. The ankle support is less and your foot sits low in the boot similar to the lowas. The mammuts were my first choice for backcountry boots on a budget ($130) on a great sale. The boot itself hugs the foot the best out of the three along with the best ankle support. You foot sits higher in the boot and they don’t breathe very well for being goretex like the other two. The valdres are a good choice and held up great for two years.

Adrnlyn

FNG
I have put a few hundred miles on the pair I bought and they have plenty of life left. Up to this point, they are the best early season non-insulated boot I have had. Plenty of miles backpacking and a few heavy pack outs, they held up great. I am religious with keeping them oiled, they have never leaked at all. At this point I have no intention of going to a different boot when it comes time to replace them.