Crispi West River II (Scheels) ?

Hoopwse

FNG
I've searched high and low but cannot find much on these boots. I'm going on an rifle elk hunt in fall 2021 (2nd week and if i draw a tag) in southwest Montana with an outfitter and have been trying to get my head around what gear I need to add, particularly boots. I live in Georgia, and there is nowhere around here that sells the kind of boots in need for this hunt. But, I am going to North Dakota next week for a duck hunting trip and will be near a Scheels where I can try boots on.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this Scheels exclusive Crispi? Is there a reason it is price lower than the comparable boots (guide, hunter, mountain extreme)? If it fits my foot then that is great, but I don't want to sacrifice quality to save a couple hundred bucks on my boots.

Worth giving these a look or should I focus on the others?

buckslayer85

Lil-Rokslider
I have the first version of these and they are a great boot. I also, know several guys that have them and wear them to work all the time and they are holding up well and they really like them. I don't think you could go wrong. Scheels is always great to deal with.

mvmnts

WKR
IMO an insulated boot has no place on an elk hunt unless you're going in January or something and even then, I don't know. Even a simple waterproof boot is going to be so hot that you're going to sweat and wet it out. 400 grams of insulation is going to be insane, you're going to end up with soaked socks and blisters from the moisture and heat. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about scheels exclusitively, Crispi makes solid boots regardless. Just make sure you're getting the right stiffness, the right last shape for your foot, etc.

Pflum

FNG
I just got a pair of these a week or so ago. I too looked everywhere for feedback, must not be many out there yet, I don't think this version has been on the market long.

I only have about 10 miles on them so far. I did a couple mile scouting hike with my 2 year old daughter on my back Monday in fairly hilly terrain. This is my first pair of high end hiking boots but I think they will be good for what I need.

OP
H

Hoopwse

FNG
I just got a pair of these a week or so ago. I too looked everywhere for feedback, must not be many out there yet, I don't think this version has been on the market long.

I only have about 10 miles on them so far. I did a couple mile scouting hike with my 2 year old daughter on my back Monday in fairly hilly terrain. This is my first pair of high end hiking boots but I think they will be good for what I need.

What are your thoughts on the 400grams of insulation vs a 200g or uninsulated boot?

2nd the uninsulated boot is what you will want for elk hunt.
Big and clunky insulated boots are good for still hunting, not hiking.
When being mostly on the move, you be be plenty warm.
Ask you outfitter how many miles you can expect to walk.

Crispi is a great boot for inclines. Scheels a great company.

OP
H

Hoopwse

FNG
IMO an insulated boot has no place on an elk hunt unless you're going in January or something and even then, I don't know. Even a simple waterproof boot is going to be so hot that you're going to sweat and wet it out. 400 grams of insulation is going to be insane, you're going to end up with soaked socks and blisters from the moisture and heat. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about scheels exclusitively, Crispi makes solid boots regardless. Just make sure you're getting the right stiffness, the right last shape for your foot, etc.

Our outfitter recommend insulated boots so that’s why I have been leaning that way during my search. My initial thought before I talked to him was uninsulated with some good socks but he recommended insulated boots.

Pflum

FNG
I'm using these for whitetail hunting, usually mile or less walk in hilly terrain. I wanted something better than the standard rubber boots for the walks in but a little insulation for the late season, I do a lot of hunting in December and into January, eastern Kentucky.

OP
H

Hoopwse

FNG
2nd the uninsulated boot is what you will want for elk hunt.
Big and clunky insulated boots are good for still hunting, not hiking.
When being mostly on the move, you be be plenty warm.
Ask you outfitter how many miles you can expect to walk.

Crispi is a great boot for inclines. Scheels a great company.

We will be hunting out of a tent camp, taking horses in about 8 miles deep to the camp. From there he said we will either hike or use the horses to get to a glassing spot, then glass for elk, spot, and stalk into rifle range.

Obviously this is the “plan” and things can change. I’d call him now if I could but he’s in elk camp with no cell signal. It doesn’t sound like it will be as much hiking as some hunts might be, so maybe that’s why he suggested an insulated boot since it’s time on horseback and glassing. But then again I’m from Georgia and really have no idea.

mvmnts

WKR
Our outfitter recommend insulated boots so that’s why I have been leaning that way during my search. My initial thought before I talked to him was uninsulated with some good socks but he recommended insulated boots.
If you're doing more sitting than walking then you'll want insulated boots.

Coldtrail

WKR
I picked up a pair as a work boot to wear in the woods, I'm about 3 weeks in and no complaints other than the insoles did not agree with my feet. Swapped for superfeet and in them all day with no complaints, seem to breathe well so I haven't had the wet foot issues, wear them when below 40deg.....just hope they last

We will be hunting out of a tent camp, taking horses in about 8 miles deep to the camp. From there he said we will either hike or use the horses to get to a glassing spot, then glass for elk, spot, and stalk into rifle range.

Obviously this is the “plan” and things can change. I’d call him now if I could but he’s in elk camp with no cell signal. It doesn’t sound like it will be as much hiking as some hunts might be, so maybe that’s why he suggested an insulated boot since it’s time on horseback and glassing. But then again I’m from Georgia and really have no idea.
The boots

I’m thinking temps in that area during that time, can range from 30 - 80 degrees. In the same day. Not what I would consider worth the weight of insulated boots, but I’m from Wisconsin. Being from the sout, the outfitter probably would rather you ge too hot than too cold, so insulated his says.

The west river boots definitely look like something to try on. At 400gm insulation, not too bulky, 2 lbs is just starting to get heavy. It might be overkill but still manageable.

You will likely need a second set of boots to swap out the sweaty pair. In that case, one of each as far as insulation goes.

To give you a idea of crispi boots. My last elk trip, morning temps 20s afternoons 60s. The boot; https://www.blackovis.com/crispi-summit-gtx-blackovis-exclusive-hunting-boot. Never got cold.

As I sit here treestand bow hunting in Wisconsin, I am wearing those same I insulated boots. Temp is mid 30s, sitting for 2 hrs now and will be until dark in two more hours. Feet are not cold, have way too many boots to choose from but these are light weight and do the job just fine.

Farmhand1

FNG
I know this is an old post but I just bought a set of Crispi West Rivers. Looking to see how everyone else's boots are holding up.

Coldtrail

WKR
Went through a winter with mine, Its cold enough here where pack boots are the norm so not tons of rough winter miles on them, but a fair amount of walking during the in-between months. No real signs of wear, would say they are doing better than other boots I've had at that price point & offer more support. I'm pleased so far.

jsad

FNG
this was a good read thank you, ive been trying to decide what i want for boots and after reading this i think i will be going with these boots