Crispi Wild Rock GTX Insulated Boots ***Updated 12/13/20***

chouck21

FNG
Hey guys. I just purchased my first pair of Crispi boots. Rocky GTX Plus. I ordered a size 10.5 which is my normal shoe size. Fits pretty normal but I was wondering if I should have ordered a larger size for my hunting socks. I noticed Crispi sells a midweight sock. I was wondering what socks you guys wear with your boots and if you size up to make up for wearing hunting socks. I live in PA. I have about a 40 minute walk to my treestand. I'm hoping my feet don't get too sweaty on the walk in and then freeze. Thinking maybe some merino wool would wicken away some sweat?

LBuchser

WKR
Hey guys. I just purchased my first pair of Crispi boots. Rocky GTX Plus. I ordered a size 10.5 which is my normal shoe size. Fits pretty normal but I was wondering if I should have ordered a larger size for my hunting socks. I noticed Crispi sells a midweight sock. I was wondering what socks you guys wear with your boots and if you size up to make up for wearing hunting socks. I live in PA. I have about a 40 minute walk to my treestand. I'm hoping my feet don't get too sweaty on the walk in and then freeze. Thinking maybe some merino wool would wicken away some sweat?

I wear Darn Tough Midweight Full Cushion socks. They are amazing. You need to go wool for sure, that way if you do sweat, your feet will stay warm. Also, your boots need to break in. If you keep them properly conditioned the leather will stretch and conform to your foot a bit. Your insoles will break in a bit too. You should be fine.

Brendan

WKR
Wanted to follow-up now that I have some time in them. Wild Rock Plus have been a big win for me. Used them for 1st rifle in Colorado even though it was warmer and drier than ideal for boots like these. Saw a day or two with snow on the ground. Didn't really break them in much, but my feet were comfortable across the board. Like any boots, just had to make sure I found the sweet spot for lacing - don't crank them too hard, but just enough to keep movement. I am using sheep feet insoles. Crispi conditioning cream on the other hand - I like the concept, just doesn't keep the leather from wetting out very long. But, then again, I felt my feet were able to breathe pretty damn well for a leather insulated boot where daytime highs were in the 50's.

In my 7 years of going out west, this is the best my feet have felt at the end of a hunt.

Still have whitetail season here in the Northeast where I'll be using them. We've got fresh snow on the ground and clear skies with rising pressure for the opening of NH muzzleloader season tomorrow, so I'll be out all day in them again covering some ground watching for Daywalkers.

Wanted to follow-up now that I have some time in them. Wild Rock Plus have been a big win for me. Used them for 1st rifle in Colorado even though it was warmer and drier than ideal for boots like these. Saw a day or two with snow on the ground. Didn't really break them in much, but my feet were comfortable across the board. Like any boots, just had to make sure I found the sweet spot for lacing - don't crank them too hard, but just enough to keep movement. I am using sheep feet insoles. Crispi conditioning cream on the other hand - I like the concept, just doesn't keep the leather from wetting out very long. But, then again, I felt my feet were able to breathe pretty damn well for a leather insulated boot where daytime highs were in the 50's.

In my 7 years of going out west, this is the best my feet have felt at the end of a hunt.

Still have whitetail season here in the Northeast where I'll be using them. We've got fresh snow on the ground and clear skies with rising pressure for the opening of NH muzzleloader season tomorrow, so I'll be out all day in them again covering some ground watching for Daywalkers.
I’m sold. This thread sealed the deal. Thanks guys.

Brendan

WKR
I’m sold. This thread sealed the deal. Thanks guys.

I'm a fan. Just so you know where I'm coming from, my feet sweat in almost any conditions, and then when it's cold or wet my feet always freeze. I like the wild rock plus, some might opt for less insulation depending on their feet (Normal Wild Rock as opposed to the plus?)

Wore them for a day of hunting here in NH with snow on the ground, temps in the low teens in the morning, low 30's with melting snow in the afternoon. Feet stayed good all day long.

I'm a fan. Just so you know where I'm coming from, my feet sweat in almost any conditions, and then when it's cold or wet my feet always freeze. I like the wild rock plus, some might opt for less insulation depending on their feet (Normal Wild Rock as opposed to the plus?)

Wore them for a day of hunting here in NH with snow on the ground, temps in the low teens in the morning, low 30's with melting snow in the afternoon. Feet stayed good all day long.
Same here. My current boots are Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000s. I’ve never had cold feet in them. I looked at Lowa boots but the max is 200 grams.... not enough. These seem just right. I did read one review that said his Crispis leaked... but just one.

So I have around nine weeks in these and I thought I'd give my .02 worth. First I'll say is these are very high quality from top to bottom. These are a rugged boot with thick and stiff leather and a very firm midsole and outsole. The 400 gram rating is warmer than what I am used to from a 400 gram Thinsulate boot. The only real complaints are from a personal perspective. These are very roomie which my toes love but the back 1/2 of my foot simply doesn't fit. I have a narrow heal and thin ankles area and I simply can't keep my feet stable in these because of that. I had the same problem with the Nevada's so It's a case of Crispi's not fitting my feet.

These are really nice boots, but in my case they simply don't fit. I'll get through the year with them and continue the quest for that perfect boot.

These really are a nice rugged boot.

I had a pair of these for two seasons. They are great boots. They fit true to size and are noticeably warmer than similar uninsulated boots. That might be a exactly what some folks are looking for. I logged between 30-50 miles in them.

However, I got rid of mine. Here in Colorado, it’s November or later before insulation is necessary. And by then, it’s time to pull the pac boots out. For me, and this is definitely a personal choice, a pac boot fills this niche better than an insulated leather mountain boot. I just couldn’t find a spot between uninsulated boot and pac boot where I would use the Wild Rock. I tried real hard to need it for two seasons but found a good place with Schnees Timberlines and Hunter II’s.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone in this thread have input to this thread I started?

aron

WKR
Anyone have enough miles on each yet to comment on this question?
I have never worn kenetrek boots so I can't answer the comparison but I personally would buy the wild rock boots again. I have a few seasons on them and very happy with them. I don't feel like the sole is real stiff.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have enough miles on each yet to comment on this question?
I haven't worn Kenetrek either. The Wildrocks aren't the stiffest boot but stiff enough for the steep country I use. I feel they are right where they to be in that department for me anyways.