Crispi Wild Rock GTX Insulated Boots ***Updated 12/13/20***

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I received a pair of GTX insulated boots from Crispi for review. This will be the first time in several years I've ran insulted boots. I'm usually going with lighter shorter height boots. Which in cold snowy weather can be almost miserable at times but makes traveling a bit quicker. These boots have a height of 10 inches and weight of 4 pounds per pair my size 10EE I weighed @ 4. pounds 4.2 ounces. These boots have a Gortex lining and 400 grams Prim aloft insulation. They have water repellent full-grain leather with Vibram soles. I tried them on and found they had a good comfortable fit from the start. I have messed up bunion feet and usually find supportive well-structured boots uncomfortable from the start and really require a break-in period. I have found Crispi's to run just a little large I usually wear 10.5 to 11EE but found these size 10EE to be almost perfect if anything a touch on the large side. I was able to do some hiking right out of the gate after a fresh snowstorm. They kept my feet warm and dry without even a hint of dampness. Almost feels like they don't need a break-in period although I haven't put enough miles on them yet to know for sure. I will be wearing these boots over the next several weeks while we still have plenty of snow on the hill. I plan to come out with an initial review towards the end of May.

***Update 12/13/20*** Jim's full article is available here.

Crispi  .jpgCrispi 1.jpgCrispi 2.jpgcrispi 5.jpgCrispi 6.jpgCrispi 1.jpgCrispi 2.jpgcrispi 5.jpgCrispi 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the Wild Rock Plus model, and the fit for me is actually on the small side. The Idahos in 11fit fabulous, while the WRs in the same size I can barely move my toes

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine are EE and definitely have more room then the valdres in the same size.

PredatorX

WKR
Has there been any update to this? Looking to maybe try some insulated boots this year. How many miles do you have on them? Feet stayed pretty dry?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has there been any update to this? Looking to maybe try some insulated boots this year. How many miles do you have on them? Feet stayed pretty dry?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
So far so good I have used them while in the hills this spring .It was a very wet spring with plenty of snow on the ground. The boots are very comfortable. Essentially no break in period. My feet haven't been wet at all which is very unusual for me duing the late winter through spring.

BorisZ

FNG
I want to buy these shoes, ut i can't - they don't send them to Russia...

LBuchser

WKR
I received a pair of GTX insulated boots from Crispi for review. This will be the first time in several years iv'e ran insulted boots. I'm usually going with lighter shorter height boots . Which in cold snowy weather can be almost miserable at times but makes traveling a bit quicker. These boots have a height of 10 inches and weight of 4 pounds per pair my size 10EE I weighed @ 4. pounds 4.2 ounces. These boots have a Gortex lining and 400 grams Prim aloft insulation . They have water repellent full grain leather with Vibram soles. I tried them on and found they had a good comfortable fit from the start . I have messed up bunion feet and usually find supportive well structured boots uncomfortable from the start and really require a break-in period. I have found Crispi's to run just a little large I usually wear 10.5 to 11EE but found these size 10EE to be almost perfect if anything a touch on the large side. I was able to do some hiking right out of the gate after a fresh snowstorm . They kept my feet warm and dry without of even a hint of dampness. Almost feels like they don't need a break-in period although I haven't put enough miles on them yet to know for sure. I will be wearing these boots over the next several weeks while we still have plenty of snow on the hill. I plan to come out with a initial review towards the end of May. View attachment 175485View attachment 175486View attachment 175487View attachment 175488View attachment 175489View attachment 175486View attachment 175487View attachment 175488View attachment 175489
@Jim Carr: Where's the follow-up/final review? Hahaha. I'm looking forward to hearing your final thoughts and if you plan to run them later this season. I have my eye on them and would love to have them as a late season option.

OP
J

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Jim Carr: Where's the follow-up/final review? Hahaha. I'm looking forward to hearing your final thoughts and if you plan to run them later this season. I have my eye on them and would love to have them as a late season option.
I needed to get called out. I will have my final review after I get to use it during the real test late October through November. However I did get to use them quite a bit in the wet cool spring we had in north Idaho. I took them out in wet tall grass quite often , as well as some shed hunts in the snow. They did as well as I could have expected kept my fee 100 percent dry from the outside elements although on a warm May Day shed hunting I did get a bit sweaty. For me there was no break-in period which is rare with my weird shaped feet. They were very comfortable. The grip was solid walking up steep rock solid snow slopes. I will admit they do take a bit of getting used to in the light weight nimble department. That last statement wasn't a knock on them I'm used to wearing lightweight agile boots and suffering through wet cold feet and they fared in that department as well as any boots in the same class as I have ever worn. But it was a joy to have dry comfortable feet . I'm excited to try them in the knee deep snow I usually hunt come November I cant every remember ever having warm comfortable fee of those hunts.

Brendan

WKR
I'll tag in here. I needed a set of cold weather boots so picked up a set of the Wild Rock Plus GTX. After trying on multiple sets of boots, these were the ones that made the cut that'll get used in the colder weather for me this year. Ripped off the tags, treated / sealed them, and have a new set of insoles on the way. I went with the "plus" because I've had issues with cold feet in recent years - doc says I have a mild case of Reynaud's so I jumped at the extra insulation.

I have an Elk hunt in October where they may see use depending on the weather, and then late season deer through the end of the year. No chance I'm taking them out in this heat to break them in though, need some cooler weather.

aron

WKR
I'll jump in as well. I purchased these a year ago and have about 75 miles on them so far. I have a hard time finding boots that fit good and these felt awesome. I liked the Crispi fit so much that I went and bought some Colorados this year for early season. I've had the wild rocks in snow, wet grass, and shallow river crossings and the waterproofness has held up just fine. I generally run gaiters if I know I'll be in wet conditions though.

I get cold feet very easy so I would of jumped up to the "plus" model but that wasn't available last season. I will be using them again for mid-late season.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Brendan- I’m interested in the fit of the Wild Rock Plus. Did you end up wearing your normal size? I have seen a few reviews stating they were tight.
Thanks in advance.

Brendan

WKR
Brendan- I’m interested in the fit of the Wild Rock Plus. Did you end up wearing your normal size? I have seen a few reviews stating they were tight.
Thanks in advance.

I sized up a half size, and feel like I have plenty of room. I normally wear a 12 in everything else, have a 12.5 in these, and so far so good.

aron

WKR
@Deplorable77 I haven't worn Kenetrek's but the Wild Rocks are not a super stiff boot. I would put them in line with same stiffness as my Colorados. There is a pretty extensive review comparing the Colorado stiffness to other boots so maybe that will be of value checking out as a comparison.

I just picked up a pair. I'm a size 10 and I usually have a hard time with most boots being too narrow. I tried on the size 10 regular and they felt decent with one sock on. I wanted to fit a liner sock, VBL sock and a thick wool sock so I went with a 10.5 EE. They feel really comfortable around the house, but I have yet to try them outside. I also own the Lowa Tibet GTX 10 Wide and they seem to be a stiffer boot when compared to the Crispis.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I received a pair of GTX insulated boots from Crispi for review. This will be the first time in several years iv'e ran insulted boots. I'm usually going with lighter shorter height boots . Which in cold snowy weather can be almost miserable at times but makes traveling a bit quicker. These boots have a height of 10 inches and weight of 4 pounds per pair my size 10EE I weighed @ 4. pounds 4.2 ounces. These boots have a Gortex lining and 400 grams Prim aloft insulation . They have water repellent full grain leather with Vibram soles. I tried them on and found they had a good comfortable fit from the start . I have messed up bunion feet and usually find supportive well structured boots uncomfortable from the start and really require a break-in period. I have found Crispi's to run just a little large I usually wear 10.5 to 11EE but found these size 10EE to be almost perfect if anything a touch on the large side. I was able to do some hiking right out of the gate after a fresh snowstorm . They kept my feet warm and dry without of even a hint of dampness. Almost feels like they don't need a break-in period although I haven't put enough miles on them yet to know for sure. I will be wearing these boots over the next several weeks while we still have plenty of snow on the hill. I plan to come out with a initial review towards the end of May. View attachment 175485View attachment 175486View attachment 175487View attachment 175488View attachment 175489View attachment 175486View attachment 175487View attachment 175488View attachment 175489
Love the updates on those. I have the Nevadas insulated and I assume they will be just as waterproof as yours. Did you use the crispi waterproof stuff or something different to keep them dry? I have a hunt up in canada soon and I'm a little worried that they might not stay dry but your posts have made me much more optimistic!