Criticism of road-glassing?

Jimss

WKR
There is generally a blend of many of the comments and recommendations listed above.

If you want a B&C buck you may need to do something out of the ordinary! You obviously need to hunt where there is B&C potential. Those type of bucks tend to know what to do and where to go once all the shooting starts.

If you want an ordinary buck do exactly what 85% of what everyone else does!

Really? I can tell you from experience that the moment they see a vehicle in SW Wyoming, antelope take off like they were being paid well to run. That probably works on private ranches where they aren't shot at as a matter of course, but otherwise not so much. But I've only killed about 30 Wyoming pronghorns on public land so maybe I don't know much about it.
Wow. You must not be doing it right.

I figured that comment would make some hard core "pronghorn" hunting he-man's head explode.

To each thier own I guess.

KP20129

FNG
Driving roads to find and glass up antelope doesn't get criticized much. Its the guys jumping out and blasting away when there are people actually out hunting away from the road that bother me. Not safe.

This is literally the primary way guys hunt goats. Nothing wrong with it. But it can be effective but if there is a rise in terrain even 200 yards off the road there can be a lot of goats behind it that nobody sees.

GENERALLY Antelope hunters are lazy and don't put a bunch if really any effort into goats they can't see from the road or within a 2minute walk of their vehicle.

Another thing that makes it not very productive when actually hunting is around opening day. You can scout for 2-3 days mark every buck in the unit you can see from the road. Guess what happens the evening before season? 200 yahoos start driving every 2 track stopping and staring at every goat and they get pushed off the roads.

As TaperPin mentioned above and just in general when driving around be ready. If you spot something you want to go after. Go after it. No idea why it takes guys 10minutes to get out of the truck and start moving. literally grab your gun, pack, binos (probably already on your chest) and go.
good info

That’s 100% a non issue in Wyoming. No antelope hunter worth a darn leaves their spotting scope and binoculars at home. Make sure to bring a window mount for the spotting scope, and better is one spotting scope for each side of the vehicle. Litterally, all year long I’ll glass every decent buck.

There’s a lot of open country in Wyoming and locals pull over where ever they feel like it. If they are assholes they may stop behind you and glass for whatever you’re looking at and shoot it before you do if you dittle around. Nothing is illegal about pulling over, crossing the fence on foot and putting the smack on a critter, but personally I’d stop glassing and pretend to be peeing or picking my nose until any vehicles pass. Many big antelope have been shot by a guy in a geo metro glassing from the blacktop shoulder until a big one is spotted in a huntable spot.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you see a big buck from the road don’t be surprised if a quick thinking kid pulls up behind you, jumps the fence and uses his Rokslide special to take it out at 1200 yards. Combat hunting applies to many things, especially antelope. Lol
Also good info

Feeegs88

FNG
FNG from NJ here. Been branching out hunting since starting late at age 30. I primarily do coastal/tidal waterfowl, some turkey, went to S. Africa earlier this year and now am completely hooked. I think I really want to try a NR pronghorn hunt in WY for 2024.

First off, by no way am I implying road HUNTING.

I've been doing a fair bit of research. Why does it seem like there is a lot of hate for road-glassing and then putting a stalk/closing distance on foot for a ram you like? What is the alternative? Hike/pack/camp in or into an area where you think they are?

In my mind, I figured I'd head out, drive around the unit I plan to hunt, glass around, if I see something I like I would make sure I'm not trespassing and put a stalk on it.
Trial and error. If it works it works if it don’t try another method.