Critique my clothing system

dotman

WKR
Thanks dotman.

Whats the quality of the C4E stuff compared to First Lite?

A lot of people like the C4E, I didn't. You have to wash it by hand and my shirt had holes in it after a month and shrunk cause I don't wash by hand or air dry it:)

All of my first lite is washed and dried in my machines (baking soda only) and after a year of abuse and multiple washings/dryings is going strong and hasn't shrunk. My llano ls top finally has a small hole in the sleeve by the thumb hole after a year of hard use and many of the above cycles (it is wearing thin, has pin holes in it, so I'll replace it with a new llano this year). All the other stuff is going strong and again not one item from my beanie to Labrador has shrunk. Only item I don't have is the pants and this stuff is well worth it if you want to get your moneys worth and good durability for a merino product.

I don't treat my merino with kid gloves and am pretty hard on it, I actually expected it to fail early on but it has been rock solid.

For the good deals keep watching that link I gave you, I picked up the entire line minus pants for around $200 last year. The good sales will come in March/April as the new years items are being released just have to watch and make sure your size doesn't sell out.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
For base layer merino wool try STP. If you don't mind black you can get base layers for $30-$45 if you get a 35% or 45% off code. If you are on a tight budget you need to discover Sierra Trading Post and wait for steep discount emails. You will end up with mix and match but you can get some good stuff on the cheap.

c5mrr270

WKR
Camofire is like steepandcheap, they just run one deal at a time. If you sign up you get text message alerts and that's about it.

jmez

WKR
I wash my C4E merino in the machine with everything else. Haven't had trouble. I don't dry any of my hunting clothes in the machine, they all hang on the clothes line, that may the difference?

dotman

WKR
I wash my C4E merino in the machine with everything else. Haven't had trouble. I don't dry any of my hunting clothes in the machine, they all hang on the clothes line, that may the difference?

Yup that probably is the diff, dryer is hard on stuff.