Critique my clothing system

rhendrix

WKR
All of this is designed to perform in CO during early archery for mule deer, I'll leave some stuff out if I wind up going to ID or SD.

TOP:
Base Layer - UA Heatgear S/S shirt (own)
Mid-Layer - First Lite Chama Hoody
Outter Layer - Rocky ProHunter Hooded Jacket (own)
Puffy Jacket - Stoic Hadron Down Cardigan
Rain Gear - Frogg Toggs Pro Action Jacket (own)

BOTTOM:
Boxers - First Lite Merino Wool Boxers
Base Layer - First Lite Allegheny Bottom
Pants - Mountain Khakis Granite Creek Convertible Pants (own)

Thoughts?

7mag.

WKR
I would replace the UA Heatgear shirt with merino wool. I am in the process of replacing all my UA hunting clothing. I have found, like lots of others, that UA starts to hold odor quickly.

Jimbob

WKR
replace UA heat gear with merino. I have a 150 icebreaker ss that gets a lot of use, much better than my old UA.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Definitely agree with 7mag. Replace the UA with a First Lite merino wool base layer. You won't regret that choice. The merino wool will breath better then your UA and the stink level once you sweat a little bit will be significantly less or none with the First Lite base layer.

jmez

WKR
Another vote for replacing the UA with Merino.

For early season I would leave out the hooded jacket and the Puffy jacket. Instead of a puffy jacket I would get a vest. Use the rain jacket if needed.

n2horns

WKR
Another vote for replacing the UA with Merino.

For early season I would leave out the hooded jacket and the Puffy jacket. Instead of a puffy jacket I would get a vest. Use the rain jacket if needed.

Would you suggest a down or synthetic vest? I have both and prefer even in rainy times using down. Have to be more careful but the warmth is there. Now i dont have the high end vest like with kuiu quix down or sitka. Maybe someone know which is best for weight/warmth combo.

I am not a huge fan of frog togs from what I have seen of them, so that is the only thing I would change based on anything that I would consider a "needed upgrade". I do prefer merino wool baselayers as others have said above but that is just my preference so beyond that if you are comfy with what you have go kill stuff. My hunting partner killed a ram in 2011 and for the fly in trip he was wearing cotton BDU pants and mil surplus poly, fleece and gortex. He smelled terrible by day 7 but had a huge grin on his face packing that ram off the mountain in his 6 year old cabelas AK guide pack. Sure he could have purchased all sorts of cool high tech gear but then he probably would not have been able to afford the flight to go hunt so I think he made the right choice. BTW, he spotted it using a set of compact 8x nikon binos and judged it legal using my $750 pentax spotting scope sitting on a $30 vortex high country tripod.

Better to be in the field dressed in what you have than at the office trying to afford the latest greatest!

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Thanks gents, I have a summit series northface goretex jacket that I could use as rain gear instead of the frogg togg top. Was worried about space though since I'll have 4100 cubic inches for a 7 day hunt. Are the merino wool base layers itchy at all? I could probably swing one but at the moment it's not at the top of my priority list. Also, I flirted with the idea of a puffy vest, anyone have recommendations for good one that's less than a hundred dollars?

For you guys that go hunting 10 days or longer, what do you about clothing? I wanna hunt as long as possible, so I was planning on packing in enough food for 7 days initially then after I get back a couple of miles stashing 4 days worth in a tree so I don't have to go all the way back to the truck to replenish. Should I stash some clothes as well to change into, like boxers and socks and maybe another base layer, or is that overkill?

We all just embrace the funk man!... 2 pairs of good quality merino socks, same shirt every day, same pants the whole trip, same boxers which is why many of us rock merino wool.

Slim Jim

WKR
I am not a huge fan of frog togs from what I have seen of them, so that is the only thing I would change based on anything that I would consider a "needed upgrade". I do prefer merino wool baselayers as others have said above but that is just my preference so beyond that if you are comfy with what you have go kill stuff. My hunting partner killed a ram in 2011 and for the fly in trip he was wearing cotton BDU pants and mil surplus poly, fleece and gortex. He smelled terrible by day 7 but had a huge grin on his face packing that ram off the mountain in his 6 year old cabelas AK guide pack. Sure he could have purchased all sorts of cool high tech gear but then he probably would not have been able to afford the flight to go hunt so I think he made the right choice. BTW, he spotted it using a set of compact 8x nikon binos and judged it legal using my $750 pentax spotting scope sitting on a $30 vortex high country tripod.

Better to be in the field dressed in what you have than at the office trying to afford the latest greatest!

Amen to that TH! Well put

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Are the allegheny bottoms necessary? I don't wanna freeze my ass off if cold weather rolls in, but I also don't wanna drop a hundred bucks on something I may never wear?

jmez

WKR
I have never used a down vest so can't speak for them. I currently have a Kryptek Vidar Scout, on sale now at Cabela's for $79.99. It is very warm and very light. Would have to get pretty cold, for it not to be enough over a base layer and hunting shirt.

I didn't like the material of the U/A vest and the Sitka vest didn't fit me well, very tight across the back/shoulders and tight in the arm openings. Was going to have to go up a size to get the fit right in those areas and was then too big around the torso.

As was mentioned above, pretty much wear the same clothes every day. I wear what I have on, take an extra pair of socks, the vest, and rain gear. Rain jacket serves as coat if I need one, have yet to use it for that purpose. The merino wool isn't itchy at all. I would recommend you sign up on camo fire, I just bought another core 4 element merino base layer top for $40. Comes in camo patterns which is nice as last year mid Sept elk I wore the base layer only about 75% of the time. Seems durable, mine held up well. On the last day of the hunt I snagged the sleeve on a deadfall and tore a small hole in the sleeve, was a sharp stick so I don't fault the shirt. You don't need to spend $100 per on baselayers.

I wouldn't store food and or clothing in a tree. Varmints are going to get into it, eat your food and ruin whatever clothes there are.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I saw the sale on the Kryptek stuff at Cabelas, I was actually looking at this vest on their but it's only 100 grams of primaloft and weighs 17.1 ounces, there's also a vest on backcountry.com made my mountain hardware that I was looking at, but it's pretty darn expensive. It's 800 fill down though and only 9 ounces!

Forgive me for my ignorance, but when you become a member on camofire can you go back and purchase things that he's already put up, or is it a one and done kinda deal?

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Thanks dotman.

Whats the quality of the C4E stuff compared to First Lite?