Critique My Dream

Sendero lite barrel and no brake would hit advertised weights. A smaller 2 or 3 port titanium brake would be sufficient for 280ai, that would weigh less than 5oz

This. Short action would save a couple ounces. Barrel a little shorter in sendero lite contour. A Ti brake can weigh less than 2 ounces easily. Some AG or manners stocks can shave a few ounces off your stock weight.

22 oz - Defiance Anti
31 oz - AG Composites Stock
49 oz - Proof Research Sendero 24” 1/8 Twist
5 oz ?? - Muzzle Brake
2 oz ?? - Trigger
5 oz ??- Bottom metal
2 oz ?? - Bedding compound / Pillars / Etc
116 oz - 7.25 pounds

Still need to add rings and scope (~25 oz)
Anything else I’m missing?

7.25 pounds is still quite a bit off from 6.5-6.75 offered by many companies with these same components. What am I missing?
Sorry i lied, its 6lbs 15 oz with the 2 oz Ti brake, the barrel is a heavier profile and weighs 3 lbs.
I'm using hawkins aluminum bottom metal, its probably less than 5 oz with the mag and spring.
I run a suppressor so I'd sell the self timing brake if you're interested
20210419_065852.jpg20210419_065836.jpg

LightFoot

WKR
I think 280 AI is a great choice for anything from Antelope to Elk.

I would look for components and ammo before settling on cartridge choice, given the current ammo availability.

Since you want to reach out to 750 (which I strongly advise against in hunting scenarios), I would also consider the following (7mm):

7mm Rem Mag
7 SAUM
7 WSM
7 SS
28 Nosler
7mm Wby

Or just about anything you can find 200+ pieces of brass for.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
passinggas33
I think 280 AI is a great choice for anything from Antelope to Elk.

I would look for components and ammo before settling on cartridge choice, given the current ammo availability.

Since you want to reach out to 750 (which I strongly advise against in hunting scenarios), I would also consider the following (7mm):

7mm Rem Mag
7 SAUM
7 WSM
7 SS
28 Nosler
7mm Wby

Or just about anything you can find 200+ pieces of brass for.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The reason I was wanting to stay with the 280AI is the fact that I have about 500 pieces of brass and most of them are cleaned and primed. Just waiting for bullets and powder...if I can ever find them and decide on which one I want.

ID_Matt

WKR
Could probably shave a few ounces by switching to 7 SAUM and going with a short or medium action. Stock is where you can save a bunch. I opted for a Mesa Precision on my 7 Saum but feel like I gave up a bit of performance to save a few ounces, I much prefer the alpine hunter. You can also cut a few inches from your barrel and even consider a sendero light - shorter = stiffer = more consistent in my opinion. My 22" 7 Saum throws 175's at 2850+ and makes me think I could have gone even shorter on the barrel.

WKR
My choices would be Anti action, McMillan compact edge or classic edge at around 22-24 ounces(my current long action with half inch pad goes 22 ounces), Hart #2 barrel at 23", Timney HIT trigger, no brakes, adl bottom metal, Hawkin rings and a Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS on it.

I'm building a similar rifle in 300 PRC in my gunshop.
using,

-Anti X LA
-TT special trigger
-Proof sendero 26"
-Hawkins bottom metal and rings
-Wyatt's extended box
-Mesa Alpine stock
-Ether a VX3hd or vx5

Should come in about 8lbs give or take w/o sling or ammo. I was going to do a 280 Improved, but after spending two weeks trying to source a AnTi LA 308 bf, I ran across an AnTi X in a LA Mag, so I went to the 300 PRC, which is similar to a wildcat I did several years back. I've used lot's of Timneys, and they are nice, but I now prefer the Trigger Techs.

Most guys trying to cut weight do it with the barrel, (CF or small contour or fluted), the stock, and action. When getting down to shaving oz's, Ultralightweight rings, scope choice, muzzle brake, etc will tip you +/- several oz, but most of the weight savings comes from the first three things. The Anti action is one of the lightest ones out there even up against many Ti actions, as far as custom actions go. Stock choice is always a tough one, a couple good choices are the Manners Elite hunter seires, Proof, or AG comp stocks for lightweight builds. I have not tried a Mesa Alpine, so this will be a first, but I'm sure it will be fine. Stock design has a lot to do with personal preference. If you get a high quality stock, use it and don't like it, you can usually sell them for close to what you have into them maybe a little less and move to something different.

Just had a 300wsm built using an AG Alpine hunter, 24" Bartlein 3b fluted bbl, Curtis Custom Helix action (long action) and topped it with a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x50. Bare rifle weighs in about 7.8lbs, scoped takes it up to about 9.5lbs. Trigger Tech special, love the trigger! It is an elk rifle for a fall hunt out west, but after that I'll likely have the throat reamed and get into more long range shooting with it, we'll see... Goal right now is to get something in the range of 168-185 Bergers to fly well enough to kill at long range.

Give a look at the Patriot Valley UL JetBlast if you want a lightweight brake, that's what I put on mine. Taking it to the range for the first time this week.

IMG_3891.jpgIMG_3942.jpg
IMG_3926.JPG

Just had a 300wsm built using an AG Alpine hunter, 24" Bartlein 3b fluted bbl, Curtis Custom Helix action (long action) and topped it with a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x50. Bare rifle weighs in about 7.8lbs, scoped takes it up to about 9.5lbs. Trigger Tech special, love the trigger! It is an elk rifle for a fall hunt out west, but after that I'll likely have the throat reamed and get into more long range shooting with it, we'll see... Goal right now is to get something in the range of 168-185 Bergers to fly well enough to kill at long range.

Why the long action if you're going to use lightweight bergers? Even if you have a SAAMI throat, something like the 200.20x would probably work great.

OP
passinggas33
Just a little follow up since I started this thread...this is what I submitted as a build sheet to the gunsmith for my medium weight (sub 9) /medium range (sub 1000) 280AI. Once I get it done, I’ll follow up with some pics.
Stock - AG Composites Alpine Hunter with a Hawkins precision bdl bottom metal.
Trigger - Trigger Tech Primary set at 2 pounds
Defiance Anti Action
Proof - 24” 1/8 twist with seamless muzzle brake
Hawkins Hybrid Rings
Leupold VX-5 HD

Hope it turns out as well in person as it does in my mind. Thanks again to everybody for their opinions, feedback, and thoughts!!

204guy

WKR
e52b5b6eb4073d3e78c6e3e6fa3ec092.jpg

Here is my 280ai,
Proof 26” 1-7.4 twist
A419 hellfire brake
McMillan game hunter edge tech
Jewel trigger
VX5hd 3-15x44 fire dot
Shooting 180g eldm’s at 2917fps
Very very accurate

So I would go with the McMillan stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curious what your load is? How many firings do primer pockets last? >2900 with a 180 is smoking.

Just a little follow up since I started this thread...this is what I submitted as a build sheet to the gunsmith for my medium weight (sub 9) /medium range (sub 1000) 280AI. Once I get it done, I’ll follow up with some pics.
Stock - AG Composites Alpine Hunter with a Hawkins precision bdl bottom metal.
Trigger - Trigger Tech Primary set at 2 pounds
Defiance Anti Action
Proof - 24” 1/8 twist with seamless muzzle brake
Hawkins Hybrid Rings
Leupold VX-5 HD

Hope it turns out as well in person as it does in my mind. Thanks again to everybody for their opinions, feedback, and thoughts!!
Sounds like a nice build. It kills me that you call sub 1000 "medium range," anything over 300 yards is long range to me! Sounds like I need practice.

OP
passinggas33
Sounds like a nice build. It kills me that you call sub 1000 "medium range," anything over 300 yards is long range to me! Sounds like I need practice.
Well to me this is my “really long range” gun. But to many others, it seems, this is only “medium range”. I’ve never shot anything over 500 yards in my life, and don’t really have any plans to. But I was trying to use the appropriate lingo for Rokslide and categorize it right 😜

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well to me this is my “really long range” gun. But to many others, it seems, this is only “medium range”. I’ve never shot anything over 500 yards in my life, and don’t really have any plans to. But I was trying to use the appropriate lingo for Rokslide and categorize it right 😜

There isn’t anyone that actually shoots that thinks a thousand yards is “medium range” on animals. Only people that shoot a few boxes a year and then believe they are ready for anything past MPBR say things like that.
The internet- social media in particular, and advertisement have given a completely false sense of reality to people. In the land of people that actually shoot and expect to put the first round into the front half of an animal in mountain environments, 600 isn’t “easy”.

Wrench

WKR
I am always amazed at how we get so invested in weight and stocks but fail to discuss balance and intended use. A #6 bipod gun simply sucks. A vertical grip for quick timber peeking shots sucks. A long tube is neat when staring at the chronograph, but to hunt with.....sucks.

When guys ask me about rig choices I always use the checklist...

Budget, brand, balance and build list......now pick from that list what is important because it is near impossible to hit them all.

I have a few game scouts, hunters, a series...but if I had any anticipation for quick shots off hand, I'd look past them for the kimber you described or something more swept.

We take light actions and put light barrels and stocks on them but need 28" tubes to get any weight out front.

I find it a lot easier to shoot a hunters edge or htg shape prone than it is to snap shoot a vert grip stock.

What about a vertical grip makes snap shooting more difficult?
Nothing
Heavy guns with finicky scopes make snap shots hard..
My LR hunting rifle is sub 10lbs scoped and suppressed, its super easy to shoot it accurately at 1k or 50 yards.
Although if I'm hunting more in the timber I'll take my 16" ultralight 6.5 saum

Dcrafton

WKR
Curious what your load is? How many firings do primer pockets last? >2900 with a 180 is smoking.

Re26 - 59.5G
CCI mag
Zero signs of pressure.
So far I’m at 5 loadings and primer pockets are still tight.
I shoot with a few people much better than I am, even with my smiths at times. They also see zero signs.
I had the chamber pushed out a little when I had it built. 40thou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing
Heavy guns with finicky scopes make snap shots hard..
My LR hunting rifle is sub 10lbs scoped and suppressed, its super easy to shoot it accurately at 1k or 50 yards.
Although if I'm hunting more in the timber I'll take my 16" ultralight 6.5 saum

Yeah, I'm just trying to understand where the thought that vertical grips are just for prone comes from. The only thing I can think of is they may not be as handy just for carrying and thus slower to shoulder? But once shouldered i can't imagine how having a more natural hand position for pulling the trigger would ever be a negative. Seems like if they were an impediment for snap shooting they wouldn't put a pistol grip on every single rifle designed for combat.