Critique my food

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Bagels take up a lot of space. You might try tortillas.

Do you pre make them and vacuum seal? Use 2 tortillas or fold one in half? Thought about using toasted sandwich rounds as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Legend

WKR
Do you pre make them and vacuum seal? Use 2 tortillas or fold one in half? Thought about using toasted sandwich rounds as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Whatever fits your fancy. I don't overthink it much. Buy a 10pack of tortillas and throw them in the pack. Eat them with peanut butter, or tuna, or shredded chicken, or just about anything else. Usually just keep everything under 2 lbs a day.

Does this seem like a good daily meal plan?
It seems like a lot of fat to me and it may be rough on the stomach. You may want to remove 50g of fat and try to add 100g of carbs if possible. I know it may be hard with packable food though.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Adjusted somethings and added the macro percentages. Dropped the trail mix, added dried fruit and m&m's as snacks. Tried to get around 3000 calories but ended up just shy of that at 2742. Of these three, which one looks like the better choice?

Attachments

• Meal Plan.pdf
    543.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Elk Meal Prep - Tortillas.pdf
    543.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Meal Prep-Tuna.pdf
    543.2 KB · Views: 10
It looks fine, I eat similarly. I would replace the applesauce with some dried fruit or fresh apples.

I always get a kick out of some responses to these questions. Guys act like your mom will be out there making you breakfast.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
It looks fine, I eat similarly. I would replace the applesauce with some dried fruit or fresh apples.

I always get a kick out of some responses to these questions. Guys act like your mom will be out there making you breakfast.
I should have clarified that this for a 5-6 day backpacking trip that's most likely going to be a run and gun style. No base camp. My new list, I added some dried fruit and jerky to the mix and took out one of the honey stinger waffles as a snack. Want quick breakfast, lunch and only hot meal to be dinner.

CJF

WKR
I refuse to trade in my bagels for tortillas....and I've never regretted it.

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
not to rain on your parade but your carb heavy on your meal plan. i plan my food based on energy per gram.

the late founder of Kuiu had a amazing YT video on how he plans food for Alaska sheep hunting.

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
not to rain on your parade but your carb heavy on your meal plan. i plan my food based on energy per gram.

the late founder of Kuiu had a amazing YT video on how he plans food for Alaska sheep hunting.

This only works if you train your body to process fats more efficiently and that isnt easy. 1/2 the year I pound carbs, protein, and fat but keep them balanced macro level for my goals and activity level. Protein 248 carb 446 Fat 132 the other half of the year I drop carb and add fat (pre hunt) but I'm also hitting the mountain (3000' gain) 2 days a week in high temp high humidity and I burn through some food. This transition takes some time before my body will burn all of the fat.
My suggestion is only carry what you normally eat, meaning if you dont pound candy back home dont do it on your hunt. Your list in any variation will work, my only suggestion to look into another breakfast, consider 4 scoops of NB Extreme Mass and 2 TS of coconut oil. In reality that is enough to fuel you all day and also gives you the vitamins you need. I dont recommend doing this if you have other food, what I am saying is that it would get you by. Good luck

hobbes

WKR
I can't see your list so maybe you have this covered....... variety. 5 to 6 days of the same results in me not eating what I have planned.

Another thing, most backpacking diets don't remotely resemble what most folks eat at home, at least not normal people. That sudden change in diet doesn't do your insides any favors. For the most part, you have to deal with it because you can't carry "normal" food. I can't stand the variety of "bars" out there regardless who or what and if I eat I bunch of them while backpacking it doesn't agree with me. Packaged freeze dried meals do the same but I eat them most evenings so I have a hot meal. Maybe some folks eat that stuff at home, but I don't and won't. My expectation is two days without a need to hide in the bushes, one day of gas that an elk could smell upwind, a frantic scramble for the bushes on the following day, them somewhat normal movement afterwards. :)

I'd be afraid to see what the combination of Extreme Mass and coconut oil would do after a day or two.