Critique my food

Finch

WKR
I believe you are making the BH sammies on site? Good idea. I premade some one year, vacuum sealed, and froze before my trip. They were not very good. The next year i took those single serve jif cups, precooked bacon, and honey packets and made them on the spot. Much better.

I realized after 4 trips out west backpacking that i don't eat as much as I thought I would.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I believe you are making the BH sammies on site? Good idea. I premade some one year, vacuum sealed, and froze before my trip. They were not very good. The next year i took those single serve jif cups, precooked bacon, and honey packets and made them on the spot. Much better.

I realized after 4 trips out west backpacking that i don't eat as much as I thought I would.

That's actually my worry, that I will be packing too much food. I don't eat a lot to begin with, so trying to eat 2700-3500 calories in a day is going to be tough for me. I could see myself eating a bar for breakfast, skipping the BH sandwiches and just eating snacks while hunting before eating a hot meal for dinner. I was going to pre-make the sandwiches with toasted bagels or tortillas. I'm not a huge fan of dense food like bagels so I'm leaning towards doing the tortillas.

EVD

FNG
I also find it hard to eat enough during the season, and despite trying to eat more, usually lose around 10lbs during the month of September. Find stuff you like to eat. I carry snickers bars and fig newtons, they are always tasty and easy to eat.

Gerbdog

WKR
Haha no joke on the mtn dew and slim jims. Sometimes thats all i want.

I also carry some absolute junk food with me, and thats because as others have pointed out, the health food, while good for you, and decent tasting.... sometimes all you really want is a dang snickers bar and thats good enough. My brother has beef jerky on him at all times for this same reason. Good spirit lifter too.

i think if i was more disciplined, and maybe a more hardcore hunter i suppose, i'd just stick to the health food cause clearly the science says its gonna keep me on my feet longer and healthier but... ah heck if i followed a science diet id be bored out of my mind with life already.

Have more food then you need cause the alternative is pretty crappy. Carry an extra bit of food in your day pack too, if you down an animal you'll want the calorie kick to get it out and it may be a late late night before you get back to camp, and if you break your leg and your laying on the side of the mountain.....

In my experience, as you mentioned, after a few days of intense exercise you'll likely find your skipping lunch from time to time because your just not hungry.

Zackcarp

FNG
I premarket my beagles before I go. Just easier that way. Im big on slim Jim's as opposed to snack bars. I also usually try to eat some type of Ramon noodles for lunch. Throw in some Salome and you are good to roll.
Your tuna menu looks good to me. I might just use a similar one myself.
And like was mentioned before, variety will keep you happy.