Critique my Gear List

Looking for some feedback on my gear list. I'll be going out to MT on a 10 day archery hunt. I still haven't decided on a saw yet. I would like something lightweight to cut wood and bone (skull caps). I haven't started putting the med kit together yet, but I do have a list of things started. I really don't know what works for me since I've never done a trip like this, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Pack

DT1 with guide lid and 2 medium belt pouches

Water

3L platypus, msr dromelite 4L, and platypus bigzip (dirty bag), sawyer mini filter with quick connects

Sleep

DIY climashield apex 5.0 quilt
Borah bivy
DIY pyramid tent or Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT
Neoair Xtherm

Cooking

MSR Reactor 1L
2 fuel canisters
Titanium spork

Kill Kit

TAG Bags (5)
Havalon Piranta w/5 blades
Dyneema IronWire (50' orange)
Rubber Gloves
Tyvek sheet
6mil contractor bags (4)
Flagging Tape (20')

Navigation/Communication

Iphone 6
Garmin Etrex 20 with onxmaps chip
My Topo maps
Suunto MC-2 compass
Suunto Vector

Optics

Rangefinder
binoculars
spotting scope and tripod (maybe)

Clothing

Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu 125 Merino wool shirt
Kuiu 145 Merino wool 1/4 zip shirt
Kuiu 210 Merino wool 1/4 zip shirt
Kuiu 210 Merino wool zip bottoms
Kuiu SuperDown Vest
Kuiu Guide Jacket
Core4Element Torrent Rain Jacket and Pants
Exofficio Underwear (2 pairs)
Darn Tough socks (2 pairs), Kuiu merino beany & tiburon gloves
Salomon Quest 4D GTX
Kuiu Yukon Gators

Miscellaneous

Outdoor Research Durable Dry Sack(s) 20L & 35L
Allen wrenches (bow specific)
Zebralight H600w MkII XM-L2 & ZL H52fw
Extra Lithium batteries (AA - 12 & 2 - 16850 battery w/ case)
Large zipties (8)
Optics lens cloth
Anker Astro E7 25,600mAh external battery w/ iPhone cable
Slick Trick 100 grain Standard Broadheads (3)
Mouth reeds & tube
Camo face paint
Wind checker
Elknut's Playbook
Counter Assault Bear Spray (big can)
Black Diamond Carbon Z-Lite Trekking Poles

Medical Kit

Toothbrush/paste
Scent-free dehydrated wipes
Paper towel (drying boots)
Leukotape p
Vitamins, Fish Oil (10 x day)
Aleve
Pain Meds
Moleskin
Steri strips
Tenacious tape
Aquaseal UV
Duct tape
Bic lighter
Body glide
Toilet paper
4x4 gauze
Anti-bacterial ointment
extra contacts

Last edited:

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Are you packing in ? How far? Some stuff you have might be duplicates and can be eliminated.An example you are carrying the duct tape you can do the same with the Leukotape.Ditch the duct Tape. Saw you don't need one at the camp even for 10 days. Why do you need all these 3L platypus, msr dromelite 4L, and platypus bigzip (dirty bag) I would just bring the 3L platypus with me. A lot of cloths there in the field and a bunch of weight I would thin it down. But I would bring more socks so you can switch them out a few times a day. What you listed will put you at over 70lbs after you add food and the first water so take a good look at what you are bringing.
My 7 day pack list with the same pack as yours comes in under 60lbs.That includes 3L of Water.

I would suggest getting a cheap Scale and weighing everything to get a idea of a Total weight.

Last edited:
Wow, I say your set. What's your leaving the trail head weight? 5 days of food I leave at 40 lbs. Your set up looks heavy. I think I'm 43 if I run spotter

Colberjs

WKR
Yours is the first list I have seen with the Body Glide. I haven't used that brand but I always carry a powder gel with me. The one I use is actually made by Monistat and is found with other feminine products for other issues down "there". I get galded pretty easily and that stuff will save your life!!!

I used to carry body glide but switched to underarmor boxer briefs snug fitting and never need it anymore. Very funny I was hiking grand canyon a few years ago and had my hand and body glide down the front of my shorts fixing a hot spot when a group of ladies came up the trail. Lol I didn't even try to explain.

OP
ndbwhunter
I've got weights for everything but the optics, and med kit. I still need to pick up a few odds and ends, but I'd like to keep the pack weight around 35-40 without food and water. Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys. I'll make some adjustments to the list and repost with weights as I make changes.

OP
ndbwhunter
Archerm,

Which clothes would you ditch? The 125 merino is a t-shirt and both 145 and 210 are long sleeve. I suppose I could ditch the 210 top and rain gear bottoms. Anything else?

guide jacket and rain pants I would axe.

One of the water bladders.

Elknuts playbook?? Are you taking the book with you?

You could drop one fuel canister if you wanted as well.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I would highly suggest having more than 3 broadheads with you...that's a personal preference of course.

I also wouldn't fuss with paper towels to dry your boots out.

Clothing depends on what weeks you're hunting, but September here in MT prepare for 80 in the day and 30 at night. Definatly loose the guide jacket. Gaiters will be nice for stream crossings but very hot the rest of the time. I agree on losing the rain pants, it just doesn't do it enough here to fuss with it. Consider if you keep your gaiters.....the only exposed part of your legs is your thighs, which isn't a big deal.

Why roll with 4 contractor bags? If you've got game bags I'm assuming those are for pack liners.....take 1 with and leave the others at the truck.

OP
ndbwhunter
Hunt dates will be Sept. 17-28 in MT. I suppose I could ditch the guide jacket and keep the 210 zip in case temperatures drop? I was going to bring the 3rd bladder to use as a dirty bag so I don't have to pull my other one out of the pack to fill it all the time. I thought about taking the playbook with to pass time and refresh my memory in certain scenarios. How long will one fuel canister last?

OP
ndbwhunter
I would highly suggest having more than 3 broadheads with you...that's a personal preference of course.

I also wouldn't fuss with paper towels to dry your boots out.

Clothing depends on what weeks you're hunting, but September here in MT prepare for 80 in the day and 30 at night. Definatly loose the guide jacket. Gaiters will be nice for stream crossings but very hot the rest of the time. I agree on losing the rain pants, it just doesn't do it enough here to fuss with it. Consider if you keep your gaiters.....the only exposed part of your legs is your thighs, which isn't a big deal.

Why roll with 4 contractor bags? If you've got game bags I'm assuming those are for pack liners.....take 1 with and leave the others at the truck.

The three broadheads are in addition to the others that I'll have on my arrows. Contractor bags are for use as a pack liner and in case meat bags need to take a dip in a stream during the heat of the day.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I bow hunt the middle three weeks SW Montana every year. I think I have used my rain gear for a total of four hours since 1987.I just carry the lightest rain gear the candelas space rain set or just a super light wt poncho. I have used the rain jacket more for a wind breaker than anything else. There is always that chance you will get snow if you are above 5000ft. The past two out of three years we had snow the last week of Sept. It doesn't hang around long. Keep the gaiters. You will be on the move most of the time. The heaviest outer wear I carry is a Kelvin Light vest, the rest is all layers. If it is warm at the truck I will pack in wearing a very light weight guide type pant and a dry fit shirt and change once I make camp. If it is colder I will wear my hunting pants and shirt. Since I pack in for seven days seven days I carry one pair of camo hunting pants, one camo shirt two pair of merino wool boxers, 4 pr of socks (Got to take care of the feet!) a short sleeve Merino wool T, a heavier weight merino Long sleeve zip, one pr of merino wool base layer pant. and one light wt shell jacket. A merino beanie and a ball cap.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I carry three Kifaru meat bags and pack things in them when not in use. I always debone and cool my meat before packing it in the meat bags.I am not a fan of carrying out bone weight now that I am older. I also have 2 plastic bags to put the meat in the stream where camp is. I leave all other game bags and plastic bags at the truck.I can get them after the first trip to the truck with the first load of meat. Put quick disconnects in your 3L water bladder so you wont have to pull it out of your pack. Mine never leaves my pack. I carry 5 arrows with broadheads leave the rest at the truck. If you shoot five arrows????

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmmm no sleeping pad? That is one thing I cant do without. Since I get very little sleep a pad is a must for me. That and multiple pairs of socks are the two things that are a must have.Allen wrenches and bow tools I leave at the truck, check everything on your bow before you hit the trail. The only thing I bring is a extra D-Loop.

OP
ndbwhunter
Thanks for all the information guys! Anyone have any suggestions on the necessities for the medical kit?

OP
ndbwhunter
Hmmmm no sleeping pad? That is one thing I cant do without. Since I get very little sleep a pad is a must for me. That and multiple pairs of socks are the two things that are a must have.

I've got an Xtherm. Just forgot to add it.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I have my med kit in front of me it weighs 1.2lbs. I carry this kit on solo hunts and split it between two if someone else comes along.
1small pack moleskin
2 large space blankets ( I will use one instead of a bivey for a overnighter away from camp)
2 Blood clotting sponges
1 ace bandage
hydration salts
Aspirin and Aleve (don't use them together)
matches and a lighter cotton balls with Vaseline.
bandage gauze material

If I cant take care of a problem with the above more help is required.
I also carry a Spot Messenger but it is always on my person.

I take unscented deodorant. I can't stand to sleep with myself otherwise.

I too think you could drop one of the merino shirts and probably the vest as well.

I would also take sunglasses.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the dead downwind unscented myself and a few of their wipes. Tried the sunglasses a few times but I either loose them or they get broken in the pack!:cool:
I take unscented deodorant. I can't stand to sleep with myself otherwise.

I too think you could drop one of the merino shirts and probably the vest as well.

I would also take sunglasses.