Critique My Gear List

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I'm new to this light/ultralight backpacking/hunting thing. I compiled a list after some research. My philosophy is to cut weight aggressively where I can, but to keep heavier items that are crucial to the hunt's success (optics, tripod, rifle, scope). I also have a couple luxury items like a tent, ground tarp, Jetboil, and warm sleeping pad. What do you think? The list is just what I carry, not what I wear (i.e. trekking poles, shirt, pants, boots not included). Individual weights in ounces, total weight in pounds. Excludes food fuel and water. Total with those included is about 10 pounds more.

Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_cpAj6l1eow8ISjkMcpwkLqeOZIBHovI-2_UH0Vsgyk/edit?usp=sharing

Name Weight Count Comment
KUIU Peloton 240 full zip softshell 12.4 1 100
KUIU kenai hooded puffy 15.8 1 200
KUIU ultra NX rain jacket 8.9 1 300
KUIU ultra NX rain pant 7.5 1 250
Smartwool PHD Mini (backup sock) 1.5 1 15
REI silk base layer top 3.2 1 75
REI silk base layer bottom 3.8 1 80
Extra underwear 2.8 1 30
Arcteryx Phase AR glove 0.7 1 40
KUIU tiburon glove 2.6 1 50
Arcteryx Phase AR hat 0.7 1 15
thermarest z seat 2 1 15
Pack 52 1 600 seekoutside revo, SG, or frankenpack (possibly kifaru UL frame)
Kuiu binocular harnass 7 1 80
Zpacks bear bag kit 1.4 1 50
Dry bags cuben fiber 1 1 60
Petzl Tikka RXP 4 1 0
katabatic palisade sleeping bag 18 1 500
thermarest xtherm 15 1 200 Xlite is 12 but less warm
xpacks hexamid solo plus with bathtub 21 1 540 including vargo ti stakes and guylines and misc
Dasani bottle 1L 0.9 1 2
Platypus 2L platy bottle 1.2 1 27
Aquamira drops 3 1 10
Fuel 7 0 5 Bring 1, but excluded from base weight
Jetboil flash lite Ruta Locura 6 1 100
Spoon 0.5 1 0.75
Bic Mini lighter 0.5 2 3
Maps 2 1 12
Ziploks 0.2 2 0
Suunto compass 0.18 1 0
Meds 1.5 1 0 Caffeine, ibuprofen, immodium
First aid 2 1 20 Band aids, gause pads, antibiotic packet, zinc oxide, needle, floss, safety pin
Repair kit 1 1 20 Super glue, tenacious tape, gorilla tape
Havalon piranta (5 total blades and case) 2.9 1 36 Optional: find safe way to not use case
Latex gloves 0.1 1 1
Toothbrush and paste 0.7 1 0
TP 1.5 1 0
Purell 1 1 2 .5 ounce
Sunscreen 1 1 0 Too fair skinned
Lip balm with UV protect 0.2 1 3
Keys wallet 1 1 0
Leupold VX2 3-9x40 11.2 1 0
Talley rings 2.5 1 0
Kimber Montana 84L .270 Win 85 1 0 Alu trigger guard, waiting on Ti bolt
Rounds 0.75 1 0
Leupold alumina 2 1 90 Guesstimate
Gun attachment 2 1 19
Cabelas Euro HD (Meopta) 10x32 21 1 0
Kill kit 9 1 75 Bomb bags x4, kifaru meat baggie, flagging tape, 50ft ultralight dyneema cord (see knife above)
Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 25 1 0
Leupold RX-1200i TBR w/ DNA 7.8 1 0
Modified Sirui T-025x 18 1 0
Outdoorsman micro panhead 7.6 1 280
Blaze orange hat and vest 2 1 25 Mesh vest for packing out antlers, camo blaze hat
Leatherman Squirt PS4 2 1 0
Food 72 0 0 3 days, excluded from base weight
1 liter water 35 0 0 excluded from base weight

25.326875 lbs total

Last edited:
What , where and time of year your hunting ? Someone on here told me pack wet wipes instead of TP much more versatile and that helped me out

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I was contemplating dehydrated wet wipes vs actual TP vs paper towels. I might do a little of both paper towels and wet wipes dehydrated.

This list was made with California Sierra Mountain deer hunting in mind (7-10k elevation, rifle season is earlier than others) Sept-Nov. A modified version of this list would be used for other hunting across the Western United States.

Bmcox86

WKR
If you wrap the gorilla tape around your trekking poles it will save you from having to carrying it in your pack.i think I have a couple feet wrapped around each pole.

Thanks I was contemplating dehydrated wet wipes vs actual TP vs paper towels. I might do a little of both paper towels and wet wipes dehydrated.

This list was made with California Sierra Mountain deer hunting in mind (7-10k elevation, rifle season is earlier than others) Sept-Nov. A modified version of this list would be used for other hunting across the Western United States.

Right on I hunt the Sierras as well , Im in Modesto

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
If you wrap the gorilla tape around your trekking poles it will save you from having to carrying it in your pack.i think I have a couple feet wrapped around each pole.

Right on, I like that idea! I usually have tape wrapped around a lighter but I like the trekking pole deal way better.
Now if I can just remember to do it next summer.....

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
I like layering to get just the right warmth (i.e. just the merino glove, just the Tiburon, or both). I'm open to suggestions! Maybe take just the Tiburon or some other single pair of gloves? I didn't research gloves very thoroughly (or clothes in general--I just picked mostly KUIU because their stuff is reasonably light and similar enough to my rock climbing gear that I know what should work).

Bmcox86, I'll be sure to do that. Have you had any issues with the tape losing effectiveness after getting rained on?

cocky84, thanks!

One thing I'm considering is switching the Jetboil out for something lighter. I really like Jetboils for their ease of use, speed, and they seem pretty reliable. But I've been reading that you can get a lightweight container for some fuels and use a super light stove and pot and get the weight down below what I have by a fair amount. Not sure if it would be worth the hassle.

Beastmode

WKR
Ditch the soft shell or the puffy. California is plenty warm enough for one or the other. I personally run a soft shell for warmer California weather. That will save a pound.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Beastmode, what month and elevation and area are you basing that off of? I find the puffy to be necessary as the temps approach freezing, and they can in the season I'll be hunting. I might drop the a jacket depending on the forecast.

Bmcox86

WKR
Never had any issues with the tape loosing it's effectiveness, have black duck tape on both my poles at all times

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
I made some changes to the list. Biggest changes are to modify the Jetboil with the Ruta Locura kit and remove the ground tarp (the tent has a netting floor and a bathtub floor... don't need 3 layers--plus I have ability to patch). I also had the tripod pan head at 4 ounces lighter than it really is. Despite that I dropped the weight by about a pound since my first post.

Right on I hunt the Sierras as well , Im in Modesto

What zones? I'm in the Bay Area. Just moved here so this will be my first season. I'm looking at first choice zone X6b and second choice D6... Pretty uneducated choices at this point.

Last edited:

marc

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good but I would dump the softshell as well and one of the merino shirts. Looks like you are wearing one and carrying 2.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good but I would dump the softshell as well and one of the merino shirts. Looks like you are wearing one and carrying 2.

Sorry for the confusion. One is a top and one is a bottom. I edited the list to clarify that. I might drop one jacket depending on the forecast. If the lows will be in the 30s-40s, I like the softshell, puffy, and hardshell combo to be available. I don't run very hot--only weigh about 130 lbs and not a lot of body fat.

Also added a KUIU bino harness. Also considering the Rick Young bino harness which looks lighter by a fair amount, but it offers no protection.

Took a few ounces off the pack because I'm leaning towards KUIU ultra 3000 with the icon pro harness (icon pro adds a few ounces of padding on the same frame as the ultra which is normally 3 lbs). I like the ultra 3000 design but read that the harness is uncomfortable, so the icon pro harnass hopefully would address that. Mostly I love the design of the pack. The fabric might be a bit thin, and I don't think it's waterproof like the seek outside packs are. Upsides are a great spotting scope pocket, top pocket for little things like headlamp, pocket to put tripod into. Downside is it has no water bottle pocket if you use the single side pocket for the tripod. I'm considering making my own pack and just using either Kifaru/seek outside/sg/kuiu frame/harness.

Last edited:

Beastmode

WKR
Beastmode, what month and elevation and area are you basing that off of? I find the puffy to be necessary as the temps approach freezing, and they can in the season I'll be hunting. I might drop the a jacket depending on the forecast.

Through mid October @ 8k. If we were in Montana I would say bring it. I am good to around freezing without a puffy. I am also very warm blooded. If the puffy works better for you bring that and ditch the softshell.

Manosteel

WKR
I like to count ounces but there is a limit, certain areas you don't want to sarcrifice comfort for a few ounces, sleeping pad and Pack come to mind. Remember you need good night sleep which requires warmth and comfort (bigger airpad with higher r value for me) and you pick your pack based on what you pack out and not what you pack in. A lot of the light weight options aren't designed for heavy loads, so research a lot and buy wisely here and you will realize why Kifaru is so highly recommended.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
The Xtherm R-value is 5.7 at 15 ounces. I don't think it's sacrificing anything but dollars (it's $200).

Kifaru packs are heavy and expensive. Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, and KUIU all make great packs that are significantly lighter and still as durable as I need.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Through mid October @ 8k. If we were in Montana I would say bring it. I am good to around freezing without a puffy. I am also very warm blooded. If the puffy works better for you bring that and ditch the softshell.

I found a lighter weight softshell that's more similar to what I'm used to (KUIU Peloton 240 full zip). If the forecast calls for it, I'll bring both, otherwise I'll bring just one. The puffy I use is only 60g/m^2 synthetic and the softshell is 230-240g/m^2 fleece, so they aren't super big/heavy/warm jackets. Anyway, that's me, I freeze like no one's business.