Critique My Gear List

Beastmode

WKR
I found a lighter weight softshell that's more similar to what I'm used to (KUIU Peloton 240 full zip). If the forecast calls for it, I'll bring both, otherwise I'll bring just one. The puffy I use is only 60g/m^2 synthetic and the softshell is 230-240g/m^2 fleece, so they aren't super big/heavy/warm jackets. Anyway, that's me, I freeze like no one's business.

Bring what YOU need. People can critique your list all day long but only you will know exactly what you need to bring through trial and error with days on the mountain.

1hoda

Banned
I also have a couple luxury items like a tent, ground tarp, Jetboil, and warm sleeping pad. What do you think?

I don't consider shelter a luxury item in the backcountry, but that's just me.

gelton

WKR
I found a lighter weight softshell that's more similar to what I'm used to (KUIU Peloton 240 full zip). If the forecast calls for it, I'll bring both, otherwise I'll bring just one. The puffy I use is only 60g/m^2 synthetic and the softshell is 230-240g/m^2 fleece, so they aren't super big/heavy/warm jackets. Anyway, that's me, I freeze like no one's business.

Unless I am missing something you dont have a mid insulating layer like pants or a hoody...

KUIU Peloton 240 full zip softshell 12.4 1 100
KUIU kenai hooded puffy 15.8 1 200
KUIU ultra NX rain jacket 8.9 1 300
KUIU ultra NX rain pant 7.5 1 250
REI silk base layer top 3.2 1 75
REI silk base layer bottom 3.8 1 80

IMO - if you have a baselayer, a mid layer like pants (guide, attack, sitka mountain, First lite corrugate etc) and a hoodie or long sleeve crew zip (Sitka traverse, etc) then you will be fine with a puffy and rain gear and could ditch the softshell. Perhaps I am missing something but with a baselayer, a mid layer, a puffy jacket, a blaze orange vest and raingear you should be able to handle whatever mother nature dishes out. If you are just worried about being cold natured add a vest to keep from looking like the Michelin man and being unable to bend your arms due to the fact that you have 5 layers of sleeves on.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The 240 was referred to by Kuiu as a softshell replacement...not sure if you have one, but they reaply are just a fleece. The face fabric blocks some wind, but it isn't really a softshell, it really isn't all that tough or water resistant. I think the Kuiu guys were saying that because it bridges thae gap between a mid and outer layer well, and if you carry a storm shell the soft shell is overkill. I always liked the sitka traverse hoody, but the peleton 240 provides more versatility in my opinion.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a couple luxury items like a tent, ground tarp, Jetboil, and warm sleeping pad. What do you think?

I don't consider shelter a luxury item in the backcountry, but that's just me.

Shelter is a necessity, but having a tent shelter is a luxury in the ultralight backpacking world. Other options include bivy sack, hammock (which is basically a hanging bivy if you think about it), tarp, etc... Still, with how light some of these cuben fiber tents are, it seems like a no-brainer as long as you have more money than sense (this guy).

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Unless I am missing something you dont have a mid insulating layer like pants or a hoody...

KUIU Peloton 240 full zip softshell 12.4 1 100
KUIU kenai hooded puffy 15.8 1 200
KUIU ultra NX rain jacket 8.9 1 300
KUIU ultra NX rain pant 7.5 1 250
REI silk base layer top 3.2 1 75
REI silk base layer bottom 3.8 1 80

IMO - if you have a baselayer, a mid layer like pants (guide, attack, sitka mountain, First lite corrugate etc) and a hoodie or long sleeve crew zip (Sitka traverse, etc) then you will be fine with a puffy and rain gear and could ditch the softshell. Perhaps I am missing something but with a baselayer, a mid layer, a puffy jacket, a blaze orange vest and raingear you should be able to handle whatever mother nature dishes out. If you are just worried about being cold natured add a vest to keep from looking like the Michelin man and being unable to bend your arms due to the fact that you have 5 layers of sleeves on.

That's what's packed, not what's worn (I wrote that in the first post). Most times ultralight backpacking people have their "base weight" which is what is carried minus fuel, water, food (these three are consumables) and minus clothes worn.

The blaze orange vest is just netting, so it provides no warmth whatsoever. When you say "Perhaps I am missing something but with a baselayer, a mid layer, a puffy jacket, a blaze orange vest and raingear you should be able to handle whatever mother nature dishes out" yes I think you are missing something. mid layer = softshell to me (maybe I misuse this term). If I ditch the softshell, then I don't have the mid layer in your list. So I have base layer, mid layer, puffy (potential second mid layer), hard shell. If I ditch the mid layer, I have base layer, puffy, hard shell. I mean, it's a fairly warm combo, but I have been cold in that combo above freezing (sitting still for an hour, cloudy, strong wind, near water). Not when being active, but sitting in the wind, especially if it's cloudy, you bet. If the lows aren't too low, I will certainly be dropping one of either the fleece jacket or the puffy jacket.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
The 240 was referred to by Kuiu as a softshell replacement...not sure if you have one, but they reaply are just a fleece. The face fabric blocks some wind, but it isn't really a softshell, it really isn't all that tough or water resistant. I think the Kuiu guys were saying that because it bridges thae gap between a mid and outer layer well, and if you carry a storm shell the soft shell is overkill. I always liked the sitka traverse hoody, but the peleton 240 provides more versatility in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification, I think I've been confusing with calling the jacket I want a softshell. I want a non-puffy light weight "jacket" (in the sense that it zips) made of fleece. I like to have it for a layering option. I do use the hardshell on the outside when I need wind or rain protection.

for the last few years i bought into alot of whats being said here and have been fine. but ive hammered some puffy jackets. my partner has too. we end up using them as an outer layer more than we should because its all we have and not wanting to don a hardshell over it. throughout the late season i went back to wearing a cheap 100wt fleece. a buddy had a similar revelation and picked up a kuiu 240. loved it. ill be breaking one in come spring bear..
jetboil, i know some people dog it, but i cant understand why. its so simple and for the weight, IMO, its not worth messing with. i had done a ton of research or gnat, a soto od1r and a couple other stoves and pots i cant think of at the moment and ended up getting a sol ti as a gift, no looking back unless it fails majorly. one of the underrated things about the jetboil is its efficiency. not in minutes, but grams of fuel. im averaging 27 boils per small canister. for me and my partner, thats enough for both of us for a 10 day hunt.
all in all, the lists looks pretty dialed. as far as your comment on packs, its sounds like maybe you havent tried them with weight. there is a difference for sure..
edited to add: another thing has been happening for me, i was totally bought into merino this and that, but over the course of 3-4 years, its not worth it to me. it doesnt hold up for shit. it stretches out. is heavier than its poly counterpart. for baselayers on long trips ok, but midlayers and 3 days hunts, its poly for me. cheaper. dries faster. more durable. lighter...

anyway, my $.02

Last edited:
OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
all in all, the lists looks pretty dialed. as far as your comment on packs, its sounds like maybe you havent tried them with weight. there is a difference for sure..
edited to add: another thing has been happening for me, i was totally bought into merino this and that, but over the course of 3-4 years, its not worth it to me. it doesnt hold up for shit. it stretches out. is heavier than its poly counterpart. for baselayers on long trips ok, but midlayers and 3 days hunts, its poly for me. cheaper. dries faster. more durable. lighter...

anyway, my $.02

fillthefreezeer, good insight. I'm considering doing a mod to the jetboil, not sure if you caught that. It's supposed to work well after the mod, just have to use a lighter to start it. It's supposed to be pretty stable still since the stove goes up into the fins area. Not as solid as the original design, but in a backpacking situation, I'm willing to try it. I have another jetboil I'll use for car camping where people might bump the picnick table or whatever and knock it over.

I actually did a different thread on packs. Seek Outside and SG were recommended by a few, plus the Kifaru UL frame. I might go for Seek Outside Revolution + Fortress + Talon base or Kifaru UL frame + custom pack. I feel pretty confident either will work well based on the consistently good reviews on both. I'll do weighted dry runs prior to hunting and return it if it doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I hear you on the Merino durability. The durability does suck especially for thin items. Maybe if I can find a good thin glove made out of a comparable synthetic tech I'll do that instead. I'm guessing thin merino gloves don't last long, or underwear for that matter. I would do exofficio if they fit me right, but I hate them. If anyone knows another synthetic underwear that has incredible anti-stink like exofficio, I'm all ears. I'll reevaluate merino vs synthetic in my list. I do like merino for certain items.

Ben

WKR
I bring just a puffy and rain jacket for that time of year in Sierra. I also wear most my clothes to sleep which lets me get away with a 16oz down 30 degree bag. Sunset Moutian sports is over in Livermore and normally has good deals on western mountaineering products. I've even called to see their inventory and sales before heading over.

GKPrice

Banned
What , where and time of year your hunting ? Someone on here told me pack wet wipes instead of TP much more versatile and that helped me out

I don't know where he found them or if they work better but a buddy came up with these things called "Dude Wipes" - If I can steal some from him and try them I'll post my "feelings" about them

GKPrice

Banned
fillthefreezeer, good insight. I'm considering doing a mod to the jetboil, not sure if you caught that. It's supposed to work well after the mod, just have to use a lighter to start it. It's supposed to be pretty stable still since the stove goes up into the fins area. Not as solid as the original design, but in a backpacking situation, I'm willing to try it. I have another jetboil I'll use for car camping where people might bump the picnick table or whatever and knock it over.

I actually did a different thread on packs. Seek Outside and SG were recommended by a few, plus the Kifaru UL frame. I might go for Seek Outside Revolution + Fortress + Talon base or Kifaru UL frame + custom pack. I feel pretty confident either will work well based on the consistently good reviews on both. I'll do weighted dry runs prior to hunting and return it if it doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I hear you on the Merino durability. The durability does suck especially for thin items. Maybe if I can find a good thin glove made out of a comparable synthetic tech I'll do that instead. I'm guessing thin merino gloves don't last long, or underwear for that matter. I would do exofficio if they fit me right, but I hate them. If anyone knows another synthetic underwear that has incredible anti-stink like exofficio, I'm all ears. I'll reevaluate merino vs synthetic in my list. I do like merino for certain items.

Sitka and KUIU are coming out with next to the skin stuff in some new synthetic that they claim is better than merino - I'll not be giving up my merino socks anytime soon though

Ditch the soft shell or the puffy. California is plenty warm enough for one or the other. I personally run a soft shell for warmer California weather. That will save a pound.

I would disagree, November in the sierras, I would take a puffy. I never use a softshell anymore.

Beastmode

WKR
I would disagree, November in the sierras, I would take a puffy. I never use a softshell anymore.

Guess I missed where he said November. I was thinking more early season since he was wanting to go ultralight, and the way his list was looking I really don't think he is prepared for a foot of snow overnight.

Last edited:
Guess I missed where he said November. I was thinking more early season since he was wanting to go ultralight, and the way his list was looking I really don't think he is prepared for a foot of snow overnight.

Guess he said sept-nov, so pretty big difference between those. I still take my puffy on every trip. Worst case I use it as a pillow.

DaveC

WKR
Merino gloves don't last in my experience.

The Hexamid is light but struggles in wind and especially snow, and is fidgety to pitch. If bug protection isn't an issue a small mid (MLD Solomid, Seek Outside BT2, etc) and groundsheet wouldn't be much heavier and would give you more wiggle room later in the season. On the other hand the Hexamid does provide nice ventilation while still giving overhead protection and is thus a nice summer shelter.

Cuben drybags also don't last. Get sil bags instead, or just use trash compactor bags.

Two insulating layers don't seem overkill at all. I'd use either the Peloton or Kenai and have the second one be a mid-weight down coat.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
I actually switched the merino gloves to Arcteryx Phase AR which are super lightweight but also not that warm, so it's a glove for mild chilly days but not very cold. Can be combined with another glove as a liner. I'll consider using sil bags. The base layer is not merino any more, and neither are the gloves. Most if not all of my stuff is synthetic now, although I'll probably go with merino+synthetic socks.

for socks imo, stick with merino. darn tough seems to hold up best for me. took a few years to see the difference vs smart wool, but its there. i also like injinji socks.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
for socks imo, stick with merino. darn tough seems to hold up best for me. took a few years to see the difference vs smart wool, but its there. i also like injinji socks.

Thanks I'm looking at Darn Tough, Smart Wool PHD mini, etc... When I said merino+synthetic I don't mean multiple pairs, I just mean a sock which is a combo of merino and synthetic fibers (at least the above are, not sure if all are a mix).

Thanks I'm looking at Darn Tough, Smart Wool PHD mini, etc... When I said merino+synthetic I don't mean multiple pairs, I just mean a sock which is a combo of merino and synthetic fibers (at least the above are, not sure if all are a mix).

I'de take a look at the FirstLite socks too... been using them all year with good results