Critique my Layering System for Mid Season Hunts

BigTex87

FNG
Doing my first rifle hunt out west! Just wanted to check and see if this gear is enough to keep me warm for a mid october rifle hunt at around 9-10k feet or if yall would recommend another layer?

Merino 125 SS T
Merino 145 Hoodie
Peloton 97 Hoodie
Peloton 240 Vest
Superdown Ultra Hoodie
Chugash Rain Jacket

Peloton 97 bottoms
Attack Pants
Yukon Gaiters
Chugash Rain Pants

I've done a lot of research and I'm wondering if I could use another layer up top like a peloton 240 hoodie or perhaps a softshell like the axis jacket.

ChrisAU

WKR
I’d drop the 145 hoodie up top and add a more substantial puffy, and add some puffy pants for the bottom. Camped right at 10k last year in CO and first night was -10* or colder on Oct 11th.

ChrisAU

WKR
Also, is this CO? If so I don’t see a need at all for that substantial of rain gear. Get some lighter stuff, odds are you won’t use it.

OP
B

BigTex87

FNG
I’d drop the 145 hoodie up top and add a more substantial puffy, and add some puffy pants for the bottom. Camped right at 10k last year in CO and first night was -10* or colder on Oct 11th.

Thanks! Are you thinking something like the superdown pro?

Also, is this CO? If so I don’t see a need at all for that substantial of rain gear. Get some lighter stuff, odds are you won’t use it.

Yes, this is Colorado. I'll take a look at some lighter rain gear. What would you recommend?

Clarence

WKR
If you plan on sitting and glassing for long, you will need a more substantial puffy. I like a softshell for that time of year, but many don't. Too many hoods can be a pain to manage also. My.02

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree with everything said. If it were me, I’d drop the 145 and 240 vest. I’d want a more substantial fleece (260 or Sitka heavyweight etc), a warmer down puffy, drop the rain pants and replace with puffy pants. The rain jacket, you could go lighter for sure and be fine, but might be worth the weight for wind as well, dual purpose, depending on your style of hunting (glassing on knobs all day or still hunting through timber, not sure your plan).

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks! Are you thinking something like the superdown pro?

Yes, this is Colorado. I'll take a look at some lighter rain gear. What would you recommend?

For the puffy I’d recommend a Stone Glacier Grumman or Arc’Teryx Cerium LT or similar. The Kuiu Pro would be in that class but I think the aforementioned are better for the $.

For rain gear I just use a OR Helium II and Cabela’s space rain pants. Never wore the pants, but I do wish I would have worn them last year packing an elk out in tall wet grass that caused my pants to saturate.

P Carter

WKR
My critique: too expensive! 🤣

If it were me, I’d ditch the merino ss, 97 hoody, and vest. Instead, I’d go with the lightest merino hoodie (I like synthetic but merino would be fine), midlayer fleece (like Sitka heavyweight, Patagonia r1, etc), and a thick hooded puffy. And add insulated pants.
For archery you would do a lighter puffy and ditch the insulated pants.

OP
B

BigTex87

FNG
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm mostly a bowhunter and have only bowhunted out west and the layering system I outlined above has worked great for archery season. It's been great to get perspectives from guys that have done this type of hunt before. It sounds like the general consensus is:

- Get a thicker mid layer: I'm looking at perhaps the peloton 240 hoodie as a midlayer. I've really liked the 240 vest so maybe this will work out too. I run hot and sweat like crazy when hiking so I'm afraid the 260 would be too warm with the loftier fleece?
- Get a heavier duty puffy: Not sure I can afford a new puffy unless I sell the kuiu puffy I have and buy the Arc'Teryx Cerium at a discount. I have a cheap costco down vest that weighs about 7 ounces. Perhaps I could layer that over the kuiu down for glassing and get similar warmth to the Arc'Teryx??
- Perhaps add puffy pants: Any cheap options out there that are still warm and lightweight with zippers? I would like to get the kuiu superdown ultras but perhaps they aren't warm enough and they're a little pricey
- Lighten up on the rain gear: I'll take a look at the helium or cabela's space rain gear.

I would prefer to stick with kuiu, however, as mentioned above I'm open to other gear if it's a lower price and similar quality. Looks like that Cerium can be found for $150 less than the kuiu superdown pro.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the responses!!

Last edited: