Critique My Loadout?

That's a good weight for your weapon system. I am just over 8# with a stock Rem 700 30-06, Talley rings and a 15 year old Simmons scope.

On the food thing, some people are able to get down to the low 1# a day, but they are also eating the same thing everyday and are usually bland foods (couscous and jerky for example) but it's all really personal. Myself, I am around 1 3/4 - 2# a day, but I am still refining that aspect and it is always changing.

A few things I didn't see on your list that are worth taking:

Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Windicator

Colorado is a hunter orange state. You will need an orange hat and vest.

Chlorine dioxide tablets weigh next to nothing. A good back-up to the water filter (which can clog and/or freeze.)

Ear plugs will save your hearing.

If you have wind (pretty common in the Colorado high country) your tiny stove won't work very well. A windscreen weighs little and will save fuel and time.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
A few things I didn't see on your list that are worth taking:

Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Windicator

Colorado is a hunter orange state. You will need an orange hat and vest.

Chlorine dioxide tablets weigh next to nothing. A good back-up to the water filter (which can clog and/or freeze.)

Ear plugs will save your hearing.

If you have wind (pretty common in the Colorado high country) your tiny stove won't work very well. A windscreen weighs little and will save fuel and time.

Good call on all those. The windicator is actually added into the weight of the bino harness. I keep chlorine tabs in my first aid, but it isn't listed.
Can you recommend a ultralight orange vest?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had to google your stove, is it the canister one or wood burning or alcohol stove?

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
1/4 roll of mountain money is running slim IMO.....

Tikka 270 or 7-08 - both shorter and lighter than 7 mag.

List looks spot on to me, basically what I carried for September in CO, but you have an extra layer top and bottom, which you’ll likely need.

I used the BRS stove and it did fine, for an orange vest I used a mesh one that weighs 2.5 oz.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
I would take a second look at the clothes in your pack. 7.3 pounds is a lot, you could get that down to 5 lbs pretty easily. You are already wearing the Apex Hoodie, could you drop the Active Jacket? I don't have a use for softshell jackets on my hunts, I go with a wool base layer (light, med, heavy depending on the anticipated weather), a good insulation layer, then my hard shell jacket. If you went that direction, you could get down to the Core Merino, Kelvin Down WS, and a rain shell.

I don't see a rain shell right now in your gear, what am I missing?

You should also consider Aqua Mira drops instead of a filter system. The drops weigh 2.94 oz (full). This lets you get rid of the sawyer mini and the dirty bag, plus is makes things a lot more simple (fill your bladder, add the drops and you are done). Switching to a Platypus Hoser will save you a couple ounces over the Big Zip, but it is more of a pain to fill.

1.5 lbs per day is light for me, but everyone is different. You will know best how much food you need to consume when you are out there. Olive oil really packs a punch if you need to up your calories/day. I take a squirt bottle of it to add a few hundred calories to my dehydrated dinners.

Good luck!

You should look into down quilts over bags. I have the relatively cheap hammock gear economy quilt and at a 10 degree rating it's 25 oz. Up that to a premium quilt and it's nearly 10 oz lighter. There are several manufacturers or there that can offer similar weight savings.