Critique my routine, and help me run faster!

So long story short, I was super fit 8 years ago and doing crossfit/gym/runs all the time. Moved for a job where we lived in a remote area far from a gym. Bad news is that I got fat. Not crazy fat, but a good 30-40 over "fit" weight.

Fast forward to two years ago when we moved back to a town, but still a very small, rural town. Joined a gym and started getting back to a fitness routine. After a few years I dropped weight but not a lot. I was drinking beers with my buddies and while I ate healthy, I was still eating a little too much portion wise and too many carbs.

A few moths ago I decided to just go hardcore and switched to a Primal Blueprint diet and continue to hit the gym, but add more runs.

I'm 6'0, currently 220 lbs, but two months ago before Primal BP I was 240. Beer and other carbs were my major enemy. I was a big fan of Ritz and PB as a snack.

So here's my routine. Hope it helps someone but also hope to get any advice as needed:

Mon: Legs and Core workout. Our little gym here in town kind of sucks, but I make do. Smith machine squats (no real squat rack), hip sled leg squats, one legged squats with barbells, leg curls, leg raises, etc. Not the best, but all I have for options at this gym.

Tue: Chest/Tri. Bench, push downs, cable pulls, skull crushers, etc

Wed: Biceps. A variety of curls, etc.

Thurs: Shoulders and core.

So these are all 10 rep sets. Start with a weight you can do 10 reps for three sets. After a week or two, go to 4 sets, then 5, then back to 3 with heavier weight. Try and super set exercises with as little rest as possible between. On a 3 set day it doesn't take long to do, maybe 30 minutes in the gym.

I add in 2-3 runs per week on my lunch breaks as well. I'm a slow runner and only muster 9:30 mins/mile. I suck at running apparently. I'll run 2 to 4 miles, typically 3 miles is my usual but I'll try and run a slightly faster 2 mile run or try and do sprints on a 2 mile run.

Weekends I try and get a good hike in and generally stay pretty busy/active.

Any help with my running? I'm a bigger guy, but have never been a fast runner. Even when I was 190 and in the best shape of my life I was slow. I used to do a little crossfit but it's so expensive in my town that I can't justify the cost currently.

Trying to get back to 195-200. Don't want to be scrawny, but looking to lose belly fat and any extra fat.

Meals for those that are interested:

BFast: Usually 2 eggs and half an avocado. Sometimes 2 egg veggie omelet. Sometimes a protein shake.

10 am snack: Handful of almonds.

Lunch: Some leftover dinner (see dinners).

mid afternoon snack/Pre workout: A banana or apple, maybe a cheese stick once in a while.

Dinner: We like a lot of recipes from the quick and easy primal blueprint recipe book. Elk steak and roasted veggies, Spaghetti squash, Chicken and salad, Cauliflower "fried rice", etc...mostly meat, veggie, salad. We make our own salad dressing (rice vinegar, olive oil, garlic, s&P, dried basil).

Once in a while we have some red wine and a square or two of dark chocolate. I also have a bunch of pepperoni sticks/jerky we make from our elk and deer but I only snack on that once a week or once every 2 weeks, usually when I'm out for a long day of hiking.

So, any advice you want to throw at me for lifting, running, diet, etc. feel free.
I could have just asked for advice, but I decided to write down my routine in case anyone was struggling and wanted some ideas.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BigDog00

WKR
It sounds like you are already doing really good. Your nutrition looks pretty solid. I'm not an expert on all of this (I'm sure some other guys will chime in), but I would look at switching up you workouts. I wouldn't commit a whole workout to just arms. There are an endless amount or routines on line you can look up to see what will work best for you. I'm a big fan of starting strength, WS4SB, and 5/3/1 to name a few. You can google those to learn more. If you are not satisfied with your gym setup I would highly recommend buying your own equipment and working out at home. I did a few years ago and have been very satisfied with it. All I have is a squat rack, a bar, some plates, and an adjustable bench. It can be expensive but craigslist is your friend and good deals can be found. It takes a little more commitment because its easy to skip workouts, but I have been more consistent doing it this way.

As far as running faster I'm not sure what to recommend. You can try incorporating some HIIT training into your workouts. They are basically sprint variations with minimal rest. I'm not a huge fan of running so I'm not the one to give out advice on it. Good luck and keep at it.

Floorguy

WKR
Since you are already doing the primal blueprint you could check out the book primal endurance. Its Sissons book for athletes. They have a podcast by the same name and spend a few episodes giving overviews or the various chapters.

Last edited:
I am not a runner either. Everyone is so different - what works for me may not work for you.

For me, I have started to only allow myself one distance run per week, usually on Saturday mornings. I define "distance" as anything over a mile. For that long run I will do 3-5 miles depending on how I feel. I also like to take the day after that run and make that a light recovery day with a nice and slow 1 mile jog and lots of stretching and foam rolling. The day after that is always a rest day. Like this: Sat 5 miles and core work, Sunday 1 mile, stretching and maybe some upper body weights, Monday rest day.

Then tues-wed-thurs are dedicated to intervals. The intervals are where I feel like I get way better aerobic gains. I never suck air during a 5 mile run like I do when I'm doing a METCON (or version of) workout. If I do make 3 days in a row Friday is always my rest day before my long run on Saturday.

Long story short, I would cut back the running some and mix it up with intervals. You can integrate running with your intervals, but faster pace and more intensity, and shorter in length. For me, pushing myself to complete exhaustion for 400m is always a shock to the body and certainly improves your endurance.

If you want to run faster, you need to run more specifically. What distances are you wanted to be faster at? It's hard to be faster at both short distances and long distances at the same time.

You develop speed by doing intervals and threshold runs. Don't start off right away on the track. Do some 1-2 minute hill repeats 1x a week for about six weeks. This will develop your leg strength. Your threshold runs should be done 1x a week also.

You can also incorporate some plyometric routines and some lifts like deadlifts, lunges, power cleans, and kettlebell swings that will all help your leg strength.

It's pretty easy to find interval and threshold workouts on Runners World or other running sites.

OP
F
My goal isn't to run a marathon or anything, just speed up. I hunt with a guy that weighs 160 lbs and does virtually no exercise/gym routine, yet he kills me on the hills and his hiking speed is tough to keep up with. I'm assuming he has some gifted VO2 max or something. When we kill a bull and it's time to pack, that's where I shine.

I just want to get a little faster in general and not suck as much wind. I think i'll try some more intervals and look up some routines on runners world.

As for my lift routine, I'm no expert, but was given this program by a guy that has a degree in physical education. He worked at one time training college athletes and knows his stuff, but I'm not saying he's "all-knowing" or anything. I was doing a 52 week program from Muscle Magazine, but got bored with it after a few years and didn't see tons of results. So far I'm seeing good gains from this program in 4 months at it.

Start listening to the Ben Greenfield Fitness podcast. He has covered this topic at length many times. In short, shorter- high intensity works will help you get faster and help with endurance. He discusses many studies to show why that is the case.

fastrr

FNG
If you want to run faster, you need to run more specifically. What distances are you wanted to be faster at? It's hard to be faster at both short distances and long distances at the same time.

You develop speed by doing intervals and threshold runs. Don't start off right away on the track. Do some 1-2 minute hill repeats 1x a week for about six weeks. This will develop your leg strength. Your threshold runs should be done 1x a week also.

You can also incorporate some plyometric routines and some lifts like deadlifts, lunges, power cleans, and kettlebell swings that will all help your leg strength.

It's pretty easy to find interval and threshold workouts on Runners World or other running sites.

I agree that it is hard to be faster at both short and long distances at the same time. I run a lot all year long, usually 5-6 days a week. My short distance runs are 3 miles. I never run any less than that. I feel that if you are not getting over the 20 minute mark on your runs, you are not improving much. I also do interval and threshold runs during the week and a long run on Sunday. I don't do much in the strength department as I am pretty strong naturally. I do put on a weighted backpack once a week for a hike. This prepares me for carrying the heavy loads on my back.

Armety

FNG
I may be a little late to the party but thought I would chime in a bit.
I also "suck" at running and at 6'3" 235lbs im OK with that. I'm no expert on lifting or fitness but I do lift a lot and I work up a lot of routines that cover both strength and cardio. I train 75% of my cardio from lifting circuits. (No I don't run 5 minute miles but I can run 3 miles sub 24 minutes).
Since you did post up a workout routine and it seems you also want to get stronger in addition to the running goal I will focus on the workout portion. Some of what I will say doesn't apply to first day at the gym in 6 months as I know things change as you progress.
i believe you were being highly generalized in your routine layout for the purpose of the thread but just in case I would make some suggestions. There is a lot of details and effort to reaching goals do I'm just giving my generalized input.
(My version of cardio circuit to follow after the lifting input)
First, 3 sets of 10 is good basic gym strategy. There is a lot of science to be applied to reps,sets weight and goals but 3 for 10 is good basic lifting plan. I don't know too many that shoot for 4 and 5 sets at 10 reps. It would be specialized training for a very specific goal and I wouldn't offer advice here without knowing more. If you're looking to gain strength before size then a good plan is 3 sets of 8 increasing weight each set.
I like to plan ahead of time. And I change up routines a lot. So each day I have a pre planned workout Im doing and I add on if I'm feeling spunky. I would be happy to send you some samples of a full week of routines that I do to give you an idea just shoot me a message. Below I will just hit on a few things based on what you said above.

Overall I tend to follow the simple push/pull concept when starting back in the gym or looking for total body workouts.

Legs: add box jumps and calf raises. I train heavy usually and in between heavy squats and deadlifts I do box jumps and double under jump ropes. They don't need special equipment and are great cardio and speed enhancers. They both help train stabilizer and smaller muscle fibers needed for running.
I like dumbbell step ups a lot in addition to squats and deadlifts. I'm not a fan of leg extensions the bennefit vs strain on joints doesn't equate for me. (I know form safety proper lift negates some of the joint stress but based on the suggested gym equipment I would lean towards the knee support from the equipment to be marginally at best....I know over priced $.02) walking weighted lunges and farmer carries are also in my leg routines though I know carries incorporate many other muscles. Compound movements are high bang for the time so that's why I focus on them. You can do straight leg deadlifts, good mornings, Bulgarian squats all are great at working the key leg groups with less stress then extensions or curls.

Chest/triceps: one thing I started doing a few years back was separating triceps and chest to different days. I know it's not the norm but i think if you try it you might like it. Since you're a hunter and carrying a backpack is key one of the worse things you can do is train chest and forget your back. When you train chest and triceps together the triceps also never get their day to shine. Sure chest workouts hammer triceps I agree but if you train chest really well then by the time you get to triceps you don't have gas to work more than some mid weight pushdowns or skull crushers. And that gets boring. You also tend to forget to train the back with the same intensity. Train your back with your chest exercise for exercise. Sure you burn more of the gas tank and don't bench 300lbs because your tired. But who cares? You need to carry a pack for long distance and quickly per your goals above and that's the back( on top of the legs)

Biceps: they don't deserve a day. They deserve everyday. They are a unique muscle group and fatigue quickly and recovery amazingly. Everyday I'm in the gym I do at least 3 sets of 8 curls. If you really need some bicep focus that's awesome but it is a waste to go to the gym for just a bicep day. After 6-8 weeks of working out you should easily be able to work biceps for multiple exercises everyday you're in the gym.

Shoulders/core: sounds decent. Again toss in some biceps fill the day. Shoulders usually get tired fast so I assume you're doing a few things. One thing to make sure is if you're doing heavy shoulder lifts do a lot of stretches and lighter weight stability exercises too. Lat raises, front raises, cherry pickers, rotator cuff are all good on shoulder day as they are lighter exercises that help the joint open up and stay flexible. I do a lot of rows for back and shoulder as well

Pull ups: everyday you're at the gym 3 sets of 10-12. I love pull ups and think they are over looked. Just a plug haha

So after years of lifting heavy things and hating to run I started to work on routines that helped me reach cardio training goals but didn't force me to run.
Here is my very simplistic setup.
6x6x6
6 exercises
6 sets
6 reps each
15 second set and exercise breaks only.
If you're disciplined and set the timer this is a killer routine. I like to do a heavy exercise followed by a light exercise, ect. Once I have done this for 4-6 weeks I go to 8 exercises and then to 12. The concepts of my lifting days don't apply to cardio days FYI. I don't care what these exercises are I just want to hammer them out.
So, I lift 3 days a week and I do this 2 days a week.
Example of this 6x6x6for me:
Remember 15 second breaks for sets and exercise only!! Plan it out be ready to move to new area quickly
Deadlifts: 225lbs
Arm curls: EZ bar 65lbs
Squats: 205lbs
Incline dumbbell press: 75lbs
Pull ups: body weight (if I get tired I switch to bicep grip)
One arm dumbbell row: 80lbs

Anyway hope that helps some! Keep after it and remember the little guys have to be fast they need to make more trips ;)

Brado16

WKR
A few things that will also help you increase your speed:

1) Cadence: Aim for a cadence of 180 (180 steps per min)- this will require you to take shorter faster strides improving your stride/form.

2) Distance: Increasing your distance on a once a week long run at a slower pace will help build endurance and help you run faster as shorter distances

3) Engage your Glutes: Your glutes are the largest muscle used for running and often times are under utilized by runners- by slightly squeezing your butt as though trying to hold a quarter between your checks (for a lack of a better saying) you will straiten your back and engage your glutes which will result in a strong stride and more power will be focused on your stride going backwards instead of forwards, here is an article that better explains this:

https://trailrunnermag.com/training/trail-tips/1842-3-running-form-tips-to-make-you-faster

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
9:30 miles are fine for burning calories. You are over 6 mph, so it really isn't that slow either, IMO. It sounds like your running is for fitness, so my recommendation is to stop worrying about your speed and continue to run for the cardio and calorie-burning benefits. Many trainers will tell you that running at moderate paces has the same health benefits as faster running, but often reduces the chance of overuse injuries.

So ... Keep it up!

Clarktar

WKR
9:30 isn't bad at all.

I am 6' 213lbs and I just finished a 7 mile trail race, 9:03 per mile. I was tired, and sore for several days.

I feel like mile times are like scale readouts. they don't mean anything without context. You can weight 215 lbs and be all fat, or weight the same and have 13% bodyfat. With mile times, its all about how your body feels. You can run 8 min mile, but if that is not pushing your body enough for a workout, then it is not a workout.

Buy a heart rate monitor and use that as your baseline for workouts. Like Clarktar said, you can do a trail run where a 10 minute mile is phenomenal and you're at 160 bpm. Or, you could be pounding a straight stretch where a 10 minute mile has you at 115 bpm.

It's all relative to the context. Once you use a HR monitor long enough, you'll likely be in tune enough with yourself that you can be pretty accurate with workout intensity based on perceived exertion. 1 being I'm barely awake and 10 being I'm about to puke and/or pass out.

OP
F
All good tips. Thanks guys.
My parents were visiting us last week and time was tight. I managed to lift my normal routine, but skipped the runs. Yesterday I had a chance to do a quick 2 mile run at lunch and busted out a barely sub 9 min/mile for 2 miles. Pretty good for me. Also, I think I've decided I'm not going to stress about my speed too much. In the end, I want to be a bigger/muscular guy and that isn't always conducive to great speeds when running. I'm pretty happy at 200-215 and like to be bigger, not skinny. Getting better every week!