Critique my sleep system/shelter

rhendrix

WKR
Looking for some opinions on this setup, from a price point I really can't beat the price of THIS bag, I can't afford down this year, so the bag along with a bug bivy (6 oz), Ti Goat Vertex 5 (24 oz), and a REI Stratus or BA Q-Core pad (25 and 29 ounces) and my sleeping system will be complete.

Will come in at 6 lbs and 14 ounces with the Q-Core and 6 lbs and 10 ounces with the Stratus. Half of that is the freaking sleeping bag though! Does this look like a good setup? Like I said, I can't afford a really nice bag right now, I'd be open to buying a used one if it was in good shape and 20* or less, just haven't really looked.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Thanks...That is definitely another option, and I like the price.

Jimbob

WKR
I have purchased 4 down bags used

Marmot pinnacle long (Great condition) - $130
Marmot Pinnacle (great condition) - $145
Like new WM apache - $150
Like new WM alpinelite - $150

Watch classified section on here, kifaru, backpackinglight, 24hourcampfire and check ebay often. Deals are out there if you are patient. I have great gear that I could only dream of affording new but at used prices its realistic.

The BA is okay. I would make sure you go with the insulated version. Also make sure you get the mummy it's a little lighter. As far as a sleeping bag. Kelty makes a very inexpensive bag the light year, I believe the 20 degree bag is right at 2 pounds 10 ounces at around 150-175 depending on where you buy it. A step up is the Stoic Somnus it's a 850 fill 30 degree down bag that has a weight of 1 pound 3 ounces and a price at around 200.00. If you can afford it I definitely would spend a buck or two more and get a good sleep system. I use the stoic Somnus bag with a Neo air xlite and a tigoat omni raven bivy entire system comes in at 3 pounds 4 ounces and packs down to nothing. Sure it's a bit. More, but might save a upgrade in a year or so.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Jimbo, thanks for the information...do you still have all of those?

gobbler, awesome info. I might just save up and try to get a nicer bag, the more I look at my finances the more I think I could afford a 200 dollar bag, especially if it means that I could cut my system to almost half the weight.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
gobbler, have you had any problems with the durability of your Neo air xlite?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm going to be trying one of these, seem like a great value for lighweight with lots of temp and sizing options:
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html

With my Neo air Short, TI goat bivy, and GoLite poncho/tarp this summer. Should come in around 2 pounds 11 oz all up with stakes and everything for my summer solo treks. If not I'll take the megatarp and that'll take the total weight up to around 3.8 pounds total which still isn't too bad.

ams

WKR
Some other ideas for thought would be the new usmc 3 season sleep system. 4# 14 oz for under 300 around the web. A 20 deg climashield bag, goretex bivy that has a mosquito net and wire to hold it off your face. It comes with a 7 oz waterproof compression sack that you could drop and replace with the golite poncho for no additional weight. Also for your sleep pads, consider a klymit inertia for 9 oz and the size of a soda can (saves a lot of room) and then a therma rest z-lite for 14 oz to use both in colder weather. Same weight as the suggested pads but more versatile for warmer weather to save weight. You'll enjoy the closed cell pad as a seat when you don't want to pack a chair. Check out the blue closed cell sleep pads at wal-mart for $20. They're really light weight and you won't feel bad cutting off the corners. With the above system you could pick up a cheap 45 degree syn bag under 2# and have a comfortable sleep system almost year around. My only other suggestion is if you have a Columbia outlet close to you don't be afraid to go in and ask for a family/ friend coupon. Its a one time use but is also good at mountain hardwear for 40% off your purchase. If you can get one you could pick up a 32 ultra lamina and an ethreal bivy (event fabric) for a smokin price and super light weight.

7mag.

WKR
I have a Marmot Trestle 15* bag, and I am not overly impressed. I only have 7 nights in it this year, but the coldest it's been is 35*, and I can tell the 15* rating is optimistic. It is also heavy for the warmth it provides. I had my base layers on in the bag at 35*, and was toasty warm, but I'd be a little concerned if it got into the 20's. The price was right though.

I have used a Neo air for the past three years with not one problem. This last year I upgraded when the new Neo air x-lite came out. I have used it 1 week spring bear hunt, 1 week backcountry turkey hunt, and 3 weeks for archery elk hunting. I also have a BA and an exped syn mat all i use now is the x-lite is so much lighter and packs down so small, and the r-value is now comparable with the exped. I think the horizontal baffling system in the x-lite make it more comfortable and better support than the exped or BA.

Since you have the time you can afford to wait for when the sales really happen...Black Friday, Feb, etc.
It might be worth it to you to get a credit card that will accrue points towards your gear purchases as well. REI, Cabelas, there's quite a few of them out there, and as long as you pay them off each month and spend as you normally would there should only be gains to be made.

If going really lightweight is not very important there are quite a few bags out there that will be fairly inexpensive and still do a good job. The North Face Cats Meow, The North Face Aleutian, Eureka Casper, Marmot Trestle, Marmot Rockaway, Big Agnes Encampment, Mountain Hardware Extralamina, and Mountainsmith Sunlight among others should all do a good job.

You should be able to shave a bit of weight going with a different pad, albeit probably costing a little more. Whichever one you decide to go with make sure its comfortable to you though.

Jimbob

WKR
rhendrix
after using the pinnacle long for two years I sold it for $120
My dad owns the other pinnacle
I am keeping the two WM bags for my wife and I.
Lots of good ideas on here, good luck in your search.

Lawnboi

WKR
Backpack, I've got quite awhile.

If youv got a while iv got one piece of advice for you. Dont pay full price for anything!

If you have a year or a half a year to build your supplies there is no reason to pay full price for anything. Online and in store you can find deals almost weekly for backcountry gear. Almost everything you should be able to find at a pretty good discount if you are patient and keep an eye out.