Critique my strength training routine.

Hey guys, I'm hoping for some constructive criticism on my routine. A little background, 39 years old, very little experience with strength training. I travel a fair amount, so when I am in gym, I like to get full body workout in. I have been doing the following 3 times a week for a couple months now. I do 2 sets of 10-15 reps and it takes about 38 minutes. I definitely like to keep it under an hour if possible.

I'm just wondering if some of these exercises are pointless or if there are others I should really be doing, etc. Just looking for some guidance.

The routine:

Dumbell bench
Hammer curls
Dumbell squats
Millitary press
Fly machine
Dumbell raises
50 walking lunges
Seated row machine
Pullups
Leg curls
Dips
Barbell curl
Leg extensions
Pushups
Lat pull down
Tricep press
Squat machine

Again, I do that exact routine, in that order for 2 sets. I've noticed some decent gains, but then again, I'm new, so I was bound to get gains with any strength training.

Thanks for any tips, suggestions, etc

BigDog00

WKR
Find a copy of a book called Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. His program is very straightforward and you shouldn't spend more than a hour in the gym following it. If you're looking to get strong than this will get you there. His book goes in depth to describe the lifts and how they should be performed properly. He also has a bunch of videos on youtube that shows proper form.

Poser

WKR
First of all, I'll say what BigDog said, get the Rippetoe book and follow the Novice program exactly as written. Read it and reread it. Reset the weights when you stall out. Its 3 days a week. You'll get incredibly strong over the next 3 months.

2. Your performing rep schemes in the hypertrophy and muscular endurance range. You'll get much more direct performance benefits from performing reps in the pure strength range of 1-5 reps, low volume/high intensity (heavy).
I realize its easy to think "Muscular Endurance = good for the mountains", but you're not climbing the mountain in 15 reps. In this case "muscular endurance means you have more endurance for lifting weights in the gym."

3. You're doing a lot of accessory movements that are inapplicable to athletic performance or, in a few cases such as dips, more applicable to the intermediate lifter. The training effects could easily be combined into 4-5 basic barbell movements and/or compound lifts.

Tricep press
Dumbell bench
Millitary press
Fly machine
Dumbell raises
Dips
Pushups
_________
All of the above are easily and better addressed by simply performing barbell bench press and/or standing overhead barbell press.

Lat pull down
Hammer curls
Seated row machine
Pullups
Barbell curl
_______
Chin ups and/or pull ups. Chin ups have more muscle recruitment and will hit the biceps more.
If you can't perform bodyweight chins/PUs, then a lat machine is acceptable for a short period of time.

Dumbell squats
50 walking lunges
Leg curls
Leg extensions
Squat machine

5 barbell movements address the entire list of 17 exercises you listed. Since a barbell allows you to use more weight than dumbbells and utilizes more muscle recruitment than machines, it (barbell) is the most effective way to improve strength.

Learning proper technique is paramount. Read, watch videos, get coaching if at all possible.

OP
D
Thanks Poser! If I combine all that down to 5 or so exercises you mentioned, what do I do with the rest of my time? ;)

I really appreciate the help guys. I will take it to heart.

OP
D
Also, and I'm sure its addressed in the book, which I do have on order... The question... Is it ok to jog 3-4 miles on the "rest" days?

Poser

WKR
Also, and I'm sure its addressed in the book, which I do have on order... The question... Is it ok to jog 3-4 miles on the "rest" days?

On heavy sets, you'll be resting more than you are used to between sets. 2 min is the prescribed absolute minimum, but 4,5,6, 7, 8+ minutes is also common. Rest as long as you need to in order to complete the next set. I often do 8 minutes on backsquat work sets and 5 minutes on presses.

You can do some conditioning on the recovery days, but you want to make sure that it does not interfere with recovery. Rowing intervals, Airdyne intervals, sprints, jump rope, KB swings etc are all common conditioning tools. a 3-4 mile run would be fine so long as you are able to continue to progress on your strength gains. On the novice program, you will be adding weight to the bar on every single workout. That means your backsqauts will be going up 15 pounds a week. As long as you can keep that progress going, some conditioning work should be fine.

ScottinPA

WKR
If you go "by the book" then you do nothing on rest days. That said, I talked to a SS coach about this. Ideally you run SS as-is up to 2-3 months before a hunt or other endurance event then do cardio. His take was do a heavy day Monday (squat, bench, dead) using linear progression and a light lift day on Thurday (squat at 80% of Monday's weight 5x2, press, power clean or BB row) fill in the rest of the days with cardio and rest days. I started this the end of April but I'd done strickly SS for 4 months prior. Make sure you're eating enough.

Poser

WKR
If you go "by the book" then you do nothing on rest days. That said, I talked to a SS coach about this. Ideally you run SS as-is up to 2-3 months before a hunt or other endurance event then do cardio. His take was do a heavy day Monday (squat, bench, dead) using linear progression and a light lift day on Thurday (squat at 80% of Monday's weight 5x2, press, power clean or BB row) fill in the rest of the days with cardio and rest days. I started this the end of April but I'd done strickly SS for 4 months prior. Make sure you're eating enough.

After reading how intermediates were successfully inserting interval based conditioning on recovery days on the Texas Method, I did the same for the advanced novice program. 2 days a week of intervals. I didn't experience any problems with progression. I think as long as you are eating well and getting 8+ solid hours of sleep, preferably 9-10, and your body is adapted to some level of conditioning already, you can get away with it. It's hard to justify a strength program for hunting that has 0 conditioning this late in the year. Dec-March is probably the best time to do that.

WoodBow

WKR
If you are using hotel gyms, heavy barbell lifts will be hard to come by unless you stay at high end hotels. Some have smith presses which just encourage bad form. I used to be the 2 hours in the gym guy. Now i do 5 sets of 5 on a major barbell movement each day. It only takes 20 or 30 minutes depending on how much i rest between sets. Im only lifting for 5 minutes or less, in reality. I am much stronger than i ever was when i was spending 2 hours doing isolation crap.

Listen to your body. If you need rest, take it. Otherwise, get after it.