Critique This Clothing System - Wyoming September Elk

I'm heading to NW Wyoming the last week of September with an outfitter. We will go in on horseback and have a spike camp. Google says to expect temps from 30 - 50 but I realize it could be freezing and blowing snow or hot...who knows. Please critique my clothing system.

Base top - First Lite Wick Quarter Zip 150 weight x 2
Base bottom - Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 zip offs
Midlayer - Kuiu Peloton 240
Insulation - Kuiu Kenai
Soft Shell - Kuiu Katana
Hard Shell - Kuiu Chugach
Pants - Kuiu Attack
Beanie - First Lite Tag Cuff Merino
Neck Gaitrer - First Lite Midweight Mernio
Gloves - First Lite Talus Fingerless
Socks - Darn Tough Micro Cushion
Boots - Lowa Renegades

Should I take a heavier base layer in case temps are real cold? Maybe the First Lite Kiln to throw on as another layer?

Do I need boot gaiters?

Do I need glassing pants?

Thanks for the help!

bsnedeker

WKR
If you were backpacking I would say you are going in with too much weight, but going in on horseback your probably in good shape. I would personally ditch the following if it were me:

2nd wick top (only need one, those things just do not get stinky!)
zip off base bottoms (not necessary in September for me)
Peleton 240 (again, unnecessary for September for me, I just take a puffy for when I get cold)
Katana (this is completely unnecessary, especially if you are taking a hoody)
I'd take a lighter rain jacket and pants...chugach is what I would take to Alaska

I do like gaiters so I always take those for rainy days and dewey mornings. I also take lightweight rain pants, but I use them almost exclusivly as a windbreaking layer for when I'm glassing...insulated glassing pants are nice, but I don't worry about those until October/November.

Again, you're going in on horseback so you shouldn't worry too much about weight so feel free to take all that extra stuff. Also, I do tend to run hot so I pack accordingly. If you get cold really easily your extra base-layer might come in handy.

4dcfries

FNG
Kuiu makes a pant that I switched to that provides waterproof for the seat and knees on down (Talus). I have the attack and find these other ones far superior. I have spent a fair amount of time on my knees in wet grass or snow to get a shot. Just my opinion of course. d

10 days in Idaho ruined my lowa renegades, I had separation between the sole and the upper on both boots letting water in. They're also a fairly soft boot, I found walking downhill on sharp rocks to be pretty painful because the pressure was very concentrated rather than distributed a bit across the footbed.

Boots are very much a personal preference, and I had put a lot of miles (300ish) on my lowas training for the hunt, so who knows how they will really perform for you.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
Throwin Darts
10 days in Idaho ruined my lowa renegades, I had separation between the sole and the upper on both boots letting water in. They're also a fairly soft boot, I found walking downhill on sharp rocks to be pretty painful because the pressure was very concentrated rather than distributed a bit across the footbed.

Boots are very much a personal preference, and I had put a lot of miles (300ish) on my lowas training for the hunt, so who knows how they will really perform for you.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Good info on the Renegades. This is my 3rd season with them and no telling how many miles on them. They are holding up really well so far. I am considering a stiffer boot though. Thanks for the info!