Critique This Clothing System

Drenalin

WKR
Looking for a little input on this before I pull the trigger. This is intended to be my clothing system for everything from September whitetail in TN to October elk in CO to late December whitetail back in TN. Even back east, most of my hunts involve hikes of 1-3 miles to get into my areas. Underwear is Exofficio boxer briefs and pants are Wrangler Outdoor pants across all seasons. Headwear and gloves are also covered.

Lightweight base: First Lite Wick Hoody (early season archery only)
Midweight Base: First Lite Kiln Hoodie
Midweight Base: First Lite Kiln Boot Top Bottoms
Heavyweight Base: First Lite Furnace QZ (late season sits only)
Midlayer + cool weather outer: First Lite Sawtooth Jacket
Insulation: First Lite Brooks Down
Shell: First Lite Vapor Stormlight

Has anyone run the kiln boot tops? Having never run boot top bottoms before, I'm a little hesitant. Do they ride up and create cold spots on your lower legs? I don't want to be stopping multiple times per day adjusting these things. I would be wearing high socks and probably gaiters with these. Other option here would be the Fuse bottoms or KUIU's zip-off bottoms.

Does the Sawtooth perform well as both a midlayer (in cold temps) and as an outer layer (in cool temps)? If using the Sawtooth that way, is the Furnace redundant or do many of you find yourselves wearing more than one midlayer when it gets below freezing?

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Brooks and Uncompahgre for an insulating layer. Thinking the Sawtooth could offset some of the warmth lost with the Brooks, and the Brooks would be the lighter/more packable option over the Uncompahgre. This is assuming I get the Sawtooth regardless of which puffy I end up with.

I don't plan on adding puffy pants or rain pants. Not a fan of either, and probably wouldn't be hunting for days on end in heavy rain.

Kostrize

WKR
I have the wick hoody and the kiln hoody and calf length bottoms. I like the wick hoody a lot

The kiln has a mid layer fit. It’s a much baggier cut than the wick or fuse and so I wouldn’t wear it as a base layer. Personal preference of course. Great piece

The calf length bottoms did ride up for me. I did get cold spots on my lower legs from that but I was wearing normal boot socks. Wish I had just gone with the normal length.

My only concern with having the brooks sweater would be waterproofness. I have the vapor storm light jacket, and after 6+ hours in the rain, the moisture was starting to seep through to my other layers. Looks like a great system you got picked out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
I have the wick hoody and the kiln hoody and calf length bottoms. I like the wick hoody a lot

The kiln has a mid layer fit. It’s a much baggier cut than the wick or fuse and so I wouldn’t wear it as a base layer. Personal preference of course. Great piece

The calf length bottoms did ride up for me. I did get cold spots on my lower legs from that but I was wearing normal boot socks. Wish I had just gone with the normal length.
Thank you for this, these were the two big concerns I had with the Kiln stuff. I'm going to switch the base layers to Fuse.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
My only concern with having the brooks sweater would be waterproofness. I have the vapor storm light jacket, and after 6+ hours in the rain, the moisture was starting to seep through to my other layers. Looks like a great system you got picked out though.

I've been waffling back and forth between the Brooks and the Uncompahgre, and think I'm going with the latter. Most of my hunting will be in TN and we've been pretty wet the last few hunting seasons. I'm just going to take the weight penalty for the peace of mind of having synthetic insulation and a little warmer puffy.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
Revised system:

Base layers: First Lite Fuse crew and bottoms
Midlayer: First Lite Klamath hoodie
Mid/outer hybrid: First Lite Sawtooth Jacket
Insulation: First Lite Uncompahgre

I'm still trying to decide if there's a place/need in this system for a Furnace top. For static hunting in the whitetail woods, it seems like it would be great between the Fuse and the Sawtooth.

I think you might be pretty solid with the Klamath/sawtooth combo. But I’ve never put my hands on a sawtooth.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Revised system:

Base layers: First Lite Fuse crew and bottoms
Midlayer: First Lite Klamath hoodie
Mid/outer hybrid: First Lite Sawtooth Jacket
Insulation: First Lite Uncompahgre

I'm still trying to decide if there's a place/need in this system for a Furnace top. For static hunting in the whitetail woods, it seems like it would be great between the Fuse and the Sawtooth.

The fuse is substantially lighter than the kiln. I own both. The kiln boot top are honestly annoying for hiking. The ride up you calves and stay there unless you have the smallest calves ever.

Depending on weather I run the Fuse full length bottoms with the Kiln top since it’s warmer. The kiln boot tops are nice for sleeping in if you don’t mind throwing the weight in your pack.

I’ve had all the pieces you are considering. In my opinion you do not need the Sawtooth - i would get a Kiln before the sawtooth but think you would be fine with Wick, Klamath, Uncompahgre - I like the furnace for Whitetail hunting in Kansas. Either way you will be happy with your set up

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
I ended up keeping the Sawtooth, ditching the Klamath, and adding the Kiln Hoodie. I couldn't get over the versatility of the Sawtooth, and I can pick up an alternative fleece to the Klamath for a lot less money. I also read some reviews on the Klamath about the sleeve length being excessive, which is an issue I have with my older Halstead fleece.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
The saw tooth is nice for its high breath ability on the back, but for hoping to get insulation out of it for static hunts you won’t. You’ll love it out west, and hardly use it in the treestand would be my guess