Critique this pack set up.

Kifaru KU2200, with upgraded suspension to the 5200, 2 KU long pockets, KU E&E should be about 4500 CI

This pack would be used for at the most 3 maybe 4 day pack-ins. The highest percentage of the time it would be used for day hunts. It would also be my main pack for packing out meat/head and horns. One reason I am looking at this pack is it could also be used as a carry-on for a trip to Alaska this fall.

Last edited:
i would think part of this would be how you plan to pack it and if the physical size of the pockets will work for your gear..?

+1

If you've got small, light gear, and all of it fits good into the long pockets and the E&E you'll be fine. Me, I prefer/need a little more room for a 3-4 night trip. That's why I have a KU3700 and 2 long pockets.

In case you were wondering, a KU3700 is still cary-on size.

dotman

WKR
When you upgrade to the 5200 suspension does that upgrade everything or only the belt? How do you plan to pack meat? What will be your max load weight? I would look at more then just adding room but also consider true capabilities. Send Aron a pm and see what his thoughts are.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got something really similar coming to me right now. Spike camp, iv got an E&E to slap on it, but instead of the long pockets im going to run 1 or 2 belt pouches as needed. My target for this is a 1-4 day pack for trips where I want to go extremely light. I probably would end up hauling meat in it if the situation arose, but I know it will never haul like my t1

I was going to get the same exact thing that you mentioned above a while ago, i debated back and forth between the KU and regular cordura. I ended up just getting the cordura mainly because I wanted a pack i could really give a beating. (not that the KU cant take a beating, i just prefer something a little more robust)

The spike camp with UL stays is pretty darn light, only downside is it only has 22in stays. Its a good thing Im only 5'7 so I will still get a bit of lift off of them.

The main reason i strayed away from the 3700/Late season sized packs was simply the girth of the packs. On paper the girth of both of those packs rivaled that of my T1. I wanted something that stuck to my back for biking and running if i wanted. Along with putting on fast weekend miles on 2-3 day trips.

That being said, i Know i can fit into a pack this small, you may not be able to, and you dont want pockets filled with heavy stuff flopping all over.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
KU3700 if you plan on taking meat and camp out in one trip. 2200 won't make it and there is very little weight difference.

I ran a KU 3700, two (2) long pockets, a small belt pouch, a medium belt pouch attached to the hood & a grab-it for a week long elk hunt in Montana. It worked perfectly...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354868063.567102.jpg

OP
W
From what I have been told the 2200 will handle meat loads just fine with the upgraded suspension. I do not ever plan on hauling meat and camp (not man enough :) ) at the same time. The 3700 seems so wide looking at the pack measurements.

wyelkhunter,

I would go with the KU3700 since it will fit inside of the carry-on size limitations, as would the KU2200. If you add the outside pockets you will exceed the carry-on size limits so your KU2200 configuration with the pockets won't work for you. Go with the bigger KU3700 to get the capacity you are looking for. Both the 2200 and the 3700 will work with the 22 inch stays since 22" seems to be the max for most carriers.

larry

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I forget the specifics, but the weight difference between the KU 2200 and the KU5200 is pretty minimal, and you are already planning to upgrade to the heavier suspension and weight belt anyway. When empty, the KU packs compress down super small, so have you considered just going with the bigger pack instead of trying to increase your available space with extra pods and pockets? Even for shorter trips, it's often nice to have the extra space, and you will be happy to have it if you end up hauling meat out. While I like the option the KU long pockets provide, they are one more thing to have hanging off your pack and potentially catch on brush, etc. I often keep mine inside the pack to keep things organized and easily accessible, and only strap them to the outside when my pack is totally full and I really need the extra space. I run my KU5200 for everything from overnight trips to 10+ day sheep hunts, and have never wished I had the smaller model.

Just my $.02....

I have a giant McHale pack with big side pockets similar to Kifaru's setup. I never use them when going solo or with another hunter even on 10 day hunts. They are great when you need them (in my case thats when the kids go) but having a pack that will hold all your gear and still have space for meat is my preference. Making my pack wider just leads to getting hung up in the alders and like Becca said a well designed larger pack will compress down to nearly nothing when lightly loaded.

I do like "kangaroo" pouches on the back of the pack. My spotter and tripod fit in mine perfectly along with any small layering items I shed. Been a minute since I have looked at Kifaru's offering but if they have a removable rear pouch I would look at that option.

OP
W
Thanks everyone. The other reason I am looking at this set-up is I really don't think I would like the one big bag. I like pockets.