Cross bow

nidaho

FNG
Anyone out there hunting with cross bow. Looking at getting one. Just looking for some input. I was looking at a ten point vengent 440s. Also what type of broad heads can you shoot in a cross bow? Would like to stay with a fixed blade head. Thanks for any input

wayoh22

WKR
Someone on here said it perfectly the other day: "I'd recommend a search"

Plenty of threads on this forum that literally took me 5 seconds to find OP

My grandfather uses Muzzy and has never complained.

Fordguy

WKR
I hunt with a crossbow occasionally. Like the previous post mentioned, plenty of crossbow info here if you search. I use an excalibur, simple to put a new string on yourself, customer service is top notch, and accuracy is great. They're very simple. It limits the potential number of problems. Other manufacturers are coming out with compound models that you can change the string and cabels at home now too. As for broadheads, i typically shoot rage 125 grain mechanicals, but starting to experiment with others. This year I had good luck with a 100 grain x-act broadhead.
If you go with a fixed head think small diameter and heavy. At least that's been the best for me. Larger diameter with my setup seems to plane and my groups open up. Still manageable, since my shots are usually close with crossbow or vertical bow.

i havent hunted mine yet but I just picked up a cheap centerpoint. I wanted something inexpensive to try it out before I dropped big $$$ on a flagship crossbow. The diameter of the bolts is different than my compound bolts so I picked up some crossbow specific field points (black eagle), black eagle executioner bolts and crossbow versions of qad exodus and rage hypodermics. With 125 grain heads, my finished bolt weight will be around 558 grains. I also did an upgrade on the scope.

Only fired a few test shots but I can see why these things are popular. Wicked speed and very easy to shoot. I can also see their utility as an entry weapon for new hunters - no loud noise or recoil but a gun like learning process. I think I could have a novice ready to hunt in a couple of hours with one of these.

One final thought, a few people in the post above recommended Excalibur cross bows. Seems like they are the leading “non-compound” brand. No wheels/cams seems to mean no timing, tuning, etc. and possibly better reliability and durability. Something I will think about if I start looking at an upgrade.