Crossbow Elk Hunt Colorado

jlively

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to archery hunt elk in CO this year with my father. But he had shoulder surgery last year and it appears the rehab is going to take longer than expected and I don't think he'll be able to draw his bow by September. I found the ADA Accommodation Permit Application and have him getting it filled out now hoping he'll be able to take his crossbow.
I'm kind of in limbo as far as what season we should apply for not knowing the odds of him getting that permit. Should we just plan a rifle hunt?
Anyone have experience with a similar situation?
TIA

Laramie

WKR
I would like to archery hunt elk in CO this year with my father. But he had shoulder surgery last year and it appears the rehab is going to take longer than expected and I don't think he'll be able to draw his bow by September. I found the ADA Accommodation Permit Application and have him getting it filled out now hoping he'll be able to take his crossbow.
I'm kind of in limbo as far as what season we should apply for not knowing the odds of him getting that permit. Should we just plan a rifle hunt?
Anyone have experience with a similar situation?
TIA
You could be sporting and apply for rifle season but still hunt with bows.

Not gonna lie lugging a crossbow around the woods and through deadfall sounds horrible. Id go rifle personally.
I had to use a cross bow in wisconsin for white tail after hurting myself this year and i absolutley hate caring them awkward things. Thats my 2 cents though. Good luck!

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
Not gonna lie lugging a crossbow around the woods and through deadfall sounds horrible. Id go rifle personally.
I had to use a cross bow in wisconsin for white tail after hurting myself this year and i absolutley hate caring them awkward things. Thats my 2 cents though. Good luck!
I'll second this. My Dad had shoulder surgery a few years back and ended up hunting with a cross bow during CO archery. He absolutely hated it, and said he'd never do that again. Those things are miserable to carry in down timber and thick stuff. His shoulder never did recover so he has since just switched to muzzleloader and rifle.

OP
J

jlively

Lil-Rokslider
He has the R29. Shouldn’t be any worse than carrying a rifle with how compact it is. Weight is probably similar

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think Colorado allows crossbows to have scopes on them. Might be worth double
checking if that would be an issue with your father.