CrossFit and hunting

Novel concept - working out helps you (at least somewhat) when you're physically pushing yourself :rolleyes:

JWP58

WKR
I belong to a gym and do it 5 days a week. It is good exercise and depending on the programming should give a pretty good mix of functional strength and cardio conditioning.

It simply gets a bad rap because it has a cult like following. I'm not into that and I do Crossfit but don't consider myself a "Crossfitter." It also isn't any sort of new or revolutionary fitness program. Some guy simply had the brains and desire to patent a name and sell it to the masses. Good for him.

Before I joined a Crossfit gym I did interval training on my own. Not really a whole lot different than what I do now. We did a ton of that type of training when I was wrestling in the late 80's 90's.

Many ways to "train" for the mountains. What you need is some physical strength and endurance. It really doesn't matter what means you use to get that. There are a multitude of ways to improve your conditioning and any type of exercise that you do is helpful.

The passive aggressive literal comments from both sides are childish and stupid. That crap belongs on Archery Talk.

Not everyone is independently wealthy, can spend 8-10 hours a day every day hiking in the mountains with a back pack and having a live elk herd at your disposal to practice shooting your arrows at year round in an outdoor situation. See how that works?

I bolded the two things that really jumped out at me. I've found that folks pay quite a premium to participate at a "box" (150.00 a month? Does that include orthopedic work?). And that "some guy" should participate in his own program, because in the photos ive seen he appears to be around the third trimester.

Crossfit is like a relgion in my eyes. If you get something out of it and it makes you a better person, fantastic Im happy for you. But don't try to convert me, Im not going to drink the party punch at the "box". Im not saying you are trying to convert anyone, but it seems to be the SOP of all hardcore 'fitters.

OP
T
I bolded the two things that really jumped out at me. I've found that folks pay quite a premium to participate at a "box" (150.00 a month? Does that include orthopedic work?). And that "some guy" should participate in his own program, because in the photos ive seen he appears to be around the third trimester.

Crossfit is like a relgion in my eyes. If you get something out of it and it makes you a better person, fantastic Im happy for you. But don't try to convert me, Im not going to drink the party punch at the "box". Im not saying you are trying to convert anyone, but it seems to be the SOP of all hardcore 'fitters.
I mostly train out of my garage with some very basic equipment. I follow an online program I like or just make up a program. Sometimes I go to a box. I live out in the country basically in the middle of nowhere, so I don't do that often.

The "religion" or "cult" aspect is a side effect of the dramatic results as well as community aspect of the box you belong too. Results are so dramatic that people become obsessed. Which is why outsiders sometimes view it as a religion or cult.

Since I mostly train out of my garage, I don't have a monthly fee. I don't belong to a fitness community. What I do is still considered "crossfit" style training. These days I rarely talk about CrossFit outside of online fitness forums or at a gym.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Many ways to "train" for the mountains. What you need is some physical strength and endurance. It really doesn't matter what means you use to get that. There are a multitude of ways to improve your conditioning and any type of exercise that you do is helpful.
Hey if people do Crossfit to get fit, more power to them. But the most effective way to train for an activity is to do that activity (specificity). That's why professional cyclists cycle, skiers ski, etc. Sure they likely do other cross training type stuff but not as their primary workout. I'd be willing to bet if you took one guy who just hiked to train for hunting and one guy who just did Crossfit, the hiker would fare much better.

OP
T
Hey if people do Crossfit to get fit, more power to them. But the most effective way to train for an activity is to do that activity (specificity). That's why professional cyclists cycle, skiers ski, etc. Sure they likely do other cross training type stuff but not as their primary workout. I'd be willing to bet if you took one guy who just hiked to train for hunting and one guy who just did Crossfit, the hiker would fare much better.
I'd agree that if you had a person that just did hiking vs a person who just did CrossFit. The hiker could out hike the CrossFiter every time.

But, a person that did CrossFit and hiked would likely have and advantage over someone who just hiked. Much like a person who played football and lifted weights would be better than someone who just played football.

The main problem with just hiking, would be overuse injuries and muscle imbalances. If you add more variety to your routine, you should be able to train more and remain healthier.

Dinger

WKR
I did a NZ Tahr hunt late last year (Nov) with a bunch of great guys. One of them had done crossfit, plus hill training, for 12 months prior....... he was a machine on the hill.

If there was an emergency on the hill he is the kind of guy I would like to have around.

Tbuckus

WKR
Sad this turned into a cross fit bashing.

I had my best year hunting as far as being physically fit. I'm a short dumpy 50 year old and I was able to pack out a boned out deer and my camp 7 miles out of the wilderness in one trip. Do I think it was solely because of crossfit? Heck no! But I do think it helped. It has helped with my core strength quite a bit.
Ifeel you need to mix it up with your workouts. Whether in your garage or at a gym. I included crossfit in my workout with other cardio workouts. I only go 2-3 times a week max. I don't do any crazy stuff and I don't push myself to failure. The rest of my workouts are cardio with a backpack if it is allowed.

OP
T
Sad this turned into a cross fit bashing.

I had my best year hunting as far as being physically fit. I'm a short dumpy 50 year old and I was able to pack out a boned out deer and my camp 7 miles out of the wilderness in one trip. Do I think it was solely because of crossfit? Heck no! But I do think it helped. It has helped with my core strength quite a bit.
Ifeel you need to mix it up with your workouts. Whether in your garage or at a gym. I included crossfit in my workout with other cardio workouts. I only go 2-3 times a week max. I don't do any crazy stuff and I don't push myself to failure. The rest of my workouts are cardio with a backpack if it is allowed.
This is a great training philosophy IMO.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just wondering how many people follow CrossFit programs to train for hunting. I come from a Crossfit background and have owned 2 different CrossFit gyms. While I owned them, I was head trainer and programmer.

Just curious. Thanks!

When I was wrestling in college we all used to say the only way to get in wrestling shape was to wrestle. But we still did a crapload of running and coach beat the *%*&^ out of us in the weight room. And if you were running on the wrestling mat you better have a big lead;)

So, yes, I crossfit to help me get in shape. But if you got a mountain and a heavy pack use it.

marktole

WKR
I keep seeing a recurring theme of people saying that they would recommend training with a heavy pack to prepare for hunting season. I have to say that I am of the complete opposite mentality of this.

I'm 25 so still pretty young, but did four years in the Marine Corps as an infantryman. I've carried my fair share of heavy packs and in my experience the carrying weight part seems almost completely mental. Its just the sh***y grind of carrying weight and its never comfortable no matter how much you train for it.

I started doing crossfit to get into better shape while I was still in the military and it definitely helped, made PFT run times go down, steep up hill grades with a pack seem easier, etc., etc. The one thing I never ever did on my own time to get into better shape was carry a heavy pack because it induces so much wear on your body. We had a saying that went something like "If you want to get better at ruck runs, don't ruck run." The chances of injury were far to high if you were rucking to prepare for upcoming indocs, selections, deployments, etc.

OP
T
I keep seeing a recurring theme of people saying that they would recommend training with a heavy pack to prepare for hunting season. I have to say that I am of the complete opposite mentality of this.

I'm 25 so still pretty young, but did four years in the Marine Corps as an infantryman. I've carried my fair share of heavy packs and in my experience the carrying weight part seems almost completely mental. Its just the sh***y grind of carrying weight and its never comfortable no matter how much you train for it.

I started doing crossfit to get into better shape while I was still in the military and it definitely helped, made PFT run times go down, steep up hill grades with a pack seem easier, etc., etc. The one thing I never ever did on my own time to get into better shape was carry a heavy pack because it induces so much wear on your body. We had a saying that went something like "If you want to get better at ruck runs, don't ruck run." The chances of injury were far to high if you were rucking to prepare for upcoming indocs, selections, deployments, etc.
This is a perfect example of what I am talking about!

Poser

WKR

I think the difference between the sports you listed (cycling, skiing, football etc) is that those are sports that require skill and those skills have to be practiced and perfected by playing the sport itself. The physical aspects of hiking with a pack hardy qualify as skill, at least when compared with other sports. You don't really have to practice hiking with a pack in order to get better at it. For that matter, a person doing heavy, general barbell training, regularly moving heavy weight through effective ranges of motion, should find even the heaviest pack to be a reasonable weight to move between points A and B, assuming a sufficient conditioning level. When you are used to picking up, moving, pressing and squatting 300+ pounds, a 80# pack is just not that heavy of an object.

The purpose of any strength and conditioning program is just that: improve strength and conditioning so that you are better prepared for your sport. Get strong in the weight room and apply that to your skill set on the field, slopes, mountain etc. the same would apply for conditioning, though it is more specific and less transferable than strength.

That being said, I've moved through my CrossFit stage of life and am no longer interested in it as it is generally presented and programmed as it has become more focused on being a sport unto itself rather than a Strength & Conditioning program to provide a foundation/stimulation for other sports and pursuits. Generally speaking, there are too many skill sets to address in Crossfit (especially at one time) where a basic S&C program tailored for the individual based on age, experience and goals makes much more sense, though does not appear to be readily available to the masses, especially without coaching, where Crossfit boxes are (though the experience and validity of many of the coaches is something to be questioned -has anyone ever actually failed a Xfit level 1 cert?)

The physical aspects of hiking with a pack hardy qualify as skill, at least when compared with other sports. You don't really have to practice hiking with a pack in order to get better at it. For that matter, a person doing heavy, general barbell training, regularly moving heavy weight through effective ranges of motion, should find even the heaviest pack to be a reasonable weight to move between points A and B, assuming a sufficient conditioning level. When you are used to picking up, moving, pressing and squatting 300+ pounds, a 80# pack is just not that heavy of an object.
If you just consider weight then sure, 80 lbs in a pack is 80 lbs. But if you consider taking that 80 lbs and hiking down beargrass slopes, through deadfall, in snow and mud, etc then I would argue hiking is definitely a skill (agreed maybe not the technical level of the sports I mentioned but a skill nonetheless). I'm happy people get in shape no matter what it is they choose to get in shape with. I think if somebody new to hunting out west was presented with a choice of focusing on hiking with a pack or Crossfit to get prepared for a hunt, the former would be a better choice. Bonus-all the money saved by not doing Crossfit could go to some really good gear.

OP
T
I think the difference between the sports you listed (cycling, skiing, football etc) is that those are sports that require skill and those skills have to be practiced and perfected by playing the sport itself. The physical aspects of hiking with a pack hardy qualify as skill, at least when compared with other sports. You don't really have to practice hiking with a pack in order to get better at it. For that matter, a person doing heavy, general barbell training, regularly moving heavy weight through effective ranges of motion, should find even the heaviest pack to be a reasonable weight to move between points A and B, assuming a sufficient conditioning level. When you are used to picking up, moving, pressing and squatting 300+ pounds, a 80# pack is just not that heavy of an object.

The purpose of any strength and conditioning program is just that: improve strength and conditioning so that you are better prepared for your sport. Get strong in the weight room and apply that to your skill set on the field, slopes, mountain etc. the same would apply for conditioning, though it is more specific and less transferable than strength.

That being said, I've moved through my CrossFit stage of life and am no longer interested in it as it is generally presented and programmed as it has become more focused on being a sport unto itself rather than a Strength & Conditioning program to provide a foundation/stimulation for other sports and pursuits. Generally speaking, there are too many skill sets to address in Crossfit (especially at one time) where a basic S&C program tailored for the individual based on age, experience and goals makes much more sense, though does not appear to be readily available to the masses, especially without coaching, where Crossfit boxes are (though the experience and validity of many of the coaches is something to be questioned -has anyone ever actually failed a Xfit level 1 cert?)
You just addressed a major problem I see in most CrossFit gyms. They're more focused on programming for the sport rather than programming to become better in everyday life activities like for instance hiking in the mountains.

Programming for each is very different but most gyms treat them one in the same unfortunately at the expense of most of thier clients. When I spent time programming crossfit, I was more concerned about building work capacity and staying healthy rather than competition. Programing for daily life instead of competition has sadly become the norm and it goes beyond common sense to know the difference.

It's easy to become crossfit certified, but if you search you can find trainers that are much more qualified. My gym had multiple college educated trainers and two in fact were in PT school on thier way to become physical therapists.

OP
T
If you just consider weight then sure, 80 lbs in a pack is 80 lbs. But if you consider taking that 80 lbs and hiking down beargrass slopes, through deadfall, in snow and mud, etc then I would argue hiking is definitely a skill (agreed maybe not the technical level of the sports I mentioned but a skill nonetheless). I'm happy people get in shape no matter what it is they choose to get in shape with. I think if somebody new to hunting out west was presented with a choice of focusing on hiking with a pack or Crossfit to get prepared for a hunt, the former would be a better choice. Bonus-all the money saved by not doing Crossfit could go to some really good gear.
I do CrossFit in my garage for free

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
This .......The Many ways to "train" for the mountains. What you need is some physical strength and endurance. It really doesn't matter what means you use to get that. There are a multitude of ways to improve your conditioning and any type of exercise that you do is helpful.

But as you age you best be dedicating more time to cardio, endurance and recovery otherwise you will be sucking a lot of air or maybe never make that 3000 ft climb before all the critters go to bed👍So easy it was in my 20s,30s 40s now it is getting fun and a challenge to overcome Father Time as I approach54 a bastard he is👊

We had a saying that went something like "If you want to get better at ruck runs, don't ruck run."
However, it's worth noting the significant difference between walking with a ruck and running with a ruck and your knees.