CrossFit and hunting

Brendan

WKR
My personal belief is that if all you do is hike with a pack - you're not getting the most out of your preparation. At the same time, if all you do is something like CrossFit, you'll be even worse off (when it comes to the mountains).

My opinion - spend 9 months of the year focusing on general physical preparedness. As I approach 40 - that means being nice to my knees, working my core, pushups, pullups, squats, deadlifts, and a lot of dedicated shoulder exercises (Bad shoulder). I always focus on a weight where I can do 10 reps with complete range of motion and proper form. Add in some HIIT workouts on the bike, running stadiums, some running, elliptical, stair climber for cardio. Then, foam rolling and stretching on a daily basis.

BUT, as you hit the three months before your trip or season - it's time to start working up the mileage you put in with a pack and upping your cardio. (Making sure to maintain your core workouts and a full body workout 2x a week, even if you drop weight and up your reps). I like stadiums and my bike - but my weak point come hunting season are always my feet because I never quite get the mileage in I'd like with my schedule. You lose some of your muscular gains - but remember, the goal is to up your volume so you can go all day for 2 weeks straight.

Most important (and I never listen to my own advice) - try not to let it slip too much after the season. It's harder every year to get it back...

zman

Lil-Rokslider
You just addressed a major problem I see in most CrossFit gyms. They're more focused on programming for the sport rather than programming to become better in everyday life activities like for instance hiking in the mountains.

Programming for each is very different but most gyms treat them one in the same unfortunately at the expense of most of thier clients. When I spent time programming crossfit, I was more concerned about building work capacity and staying healthy rather than competition. Programing for daily life instead of competition has sadly become the norm and it goes beyond common sense to know the difference.

It's easy to become crossfit certified, but if you search you can find trainers that are much more qualified. My gym had multiple college educated trainers and two in fact were in PT school on thier way to become physical therapists.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Don't know this guy from a hole in the wall but listened to his podcast last night (found it on the exo mountain gear page) about mountain specific fitness. Sounds like his business is training hunters, military, mountain rescue guys and I dont know who else. Might be worth checking out. MTN Tactical - Mission Direct

OP
T
Don't know this guy from a hole in the wall but listened to his podcast last night (found it on the exo mountain gear page) about mountain specific fitness. Sounds like his business is training hunters, military, mountain rescue guys and I dont know who else. Might be worth checking out. MTN Tactical - Mission Direct
There's nothing wrong with what this guy is doing. He's trying to sell training programs. But you can find similar stuff for free these days. Check this site out

Weekly Navy SEAL Workout & Training Routines - SEALFIT WOD

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider
Hey if people do Crossfit to get fit, more power to them. But the most effective way to train for an activity is to do that activity (specificity). That's why professional cyclists cycle, skiers ski, etc. Sure they likely do other cross training type stuff but not as their primary workout. I'd be willing to bet if you took one guy who just hiked to train for hunting and one guy who just did Crossfit, the hiker would fare much better.

I have to disagree on this. Over the past several years my buddy and I have run multiple trail marathons and ultra marathons without a significant amount of running. Two years ago I ran the SOB here in Oregon with no more than a 2 mile distance run and Crossfit the year leading up to the run.

I mostly tried this to see how CF prepared me for something as extreme as a 32mi mountain run. I can say it without a doubt will make you fit for most activities. Not to say you will go out and Win an ultra but you will finish with a smile on your face. If you're an average Joe like most of us, a program like CF will make you better across the field rather than specializing in one domain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
I have to disagree on this. Over the past several years my buddy and I have run multiple trail marathons and ultra marathons without a significant amount of running. Two years ago I ran the SOB here in Oregon with no more than a 2 mile distance run and Crossfit the year leading up to the run.

I mostly tried this to see how CF prepared me for something as extreme as a 32mi mountain run. I can say it without a doubt will make you fit for most activities. Not to say you will go out and Win an ultra but you will finish with a smile on your face. If you're an average Joe like most of us, a program like CF will make you better across the field rather than specializing in one domain.

Thanks for your great real world input.

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider

I can second this, I did nothing but crossfit for a year and a half, running distance was non existent in my training. signed up and ran the san diego marathon with never running more than 13 miles in my life. finished top 20% with a 3:56 time. agree, don't plan to win a marathon with crossfit, but you can finish it. turned around and won my first team crossfit completion a few months later, directly after hunting season. crossfit helps in all aspects of life and fitness. that's the whole idea.

- BTW not trying to sound arrogant, just trying to prove the point that crossfit prepares you for all extremes, not just finishing the task but doing well.

Last edited:

TripleJ

WKR
I'm over 40 and have been doing Crossfit about 5 years. It has definitely helped me, both in my overall fitness and in the elk woods. My core strength and total body strength are much higher than they were at 30. I also incorporate both trail running and hill running to my weekly activities. I was able to run my 1st marathon last year, with none of my training runs going over 15 miles leading up to it. There is a mental toughness acquired after finishing super tough workouts, whether they be in a Crossfit gym or not, a mental grittiness and determination that you're going to get through the task at hand. Intentionally putting your body in those type of situations over and over...the ones where every part of your body is telling you to quit, but your mind stays committed to finishing the task at hand...that is some of the most valuable training you can get for the elk woods, IMHO. That mental toughness is what has gotten me through a few solo elk packing jobs, one step at a time.

There is no questioning that cross training is much more beneficial than sole focus training. I think Ross already hit on it, and a few others did too, you need to do some strength training and some endurance training. We can argue all day long about the composition of that program.

Keep a few things in mind. Some high intensity, repetitive motions are going to predispose you to injury. To what extent will depend on your biomechanics and previous injury history. If you have a bad rotator cuff and you're doing a lot of snatches, that might not be the smartest thing in the world. I listened to a really interesting podcast on the Journal of Mountain Hunting with the CEO of Strongfirst. There were some really interesting concepts in there. Suffice to say I firmly believe you don't have to kill yourself, and I question the value in doing lots of Olympic lifts for time.

That said, you would be well served by spending at least 3-4 months a year in the gym working on your strength. The cardio you do will serve you best if it mimics what you are trying to do, i.e. pack training. Just be careful to not go bat-shit crazy and do 80 pound weighted rucks several days a week. Plantar fascitis or achilles tendonitis will be your new middle name.

The best mountain shape I've ever been in was when I ran the SOB 50 miler. I cross trained every week, doing weights 1-2 times a week leading up to the race, and riding my mountain bike 1-2 days a week. I was running about 45 miles a week. I could cover ground with a heavy pack like I've never been able to before. Does that mean that's the best program? I don't know. I ride my mountain bike more than I run now because I enjoy it, and I don't find that it slows me down that much in the hills.

It's easy to overthink this stuff. I don't care if someone thinks Crossfit is the best thing since sliced bread. More power to them. I hope they are smart about it and don't blow out a shoulder or an achilles. Honestly, you can accomplish a heck of a lot by doing some deadlifts, pullups, Turkish get ups, pushups, squats, and lunges. Do whatever cardio you want, and do some flexibility training of some sort.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you need to do some strength training and some endurance training. We can argue all day long about the composition of that program.

agreed; if that endurance training happens to be in a similar environ to where your hunting- all the better!

Brendan

WKR
"Hey I ran a marathon without really training because I did crossfit" - isn't the best barometer for how you should prep for mountain hunting. There's a big difference between gritting it out for 3-4 hours, and 10-14 days of 18 hours a day in broken terrain. If your feet and legs break down from blisters and swelling / joint pain because they're not used to the day after day work without recovery - you're done...

As above - cross training is good, total body fitness and preparedness is good, but you need to add in endurance, and get your feet used to the day-in-day-out.

D_Eightch

WKR
"Hey I ran a marathon without really training because I did crossfit" - isn't the best barometer for how you should prep for mountain hunting. There's a big difference between gritting it out for 3-4 hours, and 10-14 days of 18 hours a day in broken terrain. If your feet and legs break down from blisters and swelling / joint pain because they're not used to the day after day work without recovery - you're done...

As above - cross training is good, total body fitness and preparedness is good, but you need to add in endurance, and get your feet used to the day-in-day-out.

Wouldn't hitting the gym 5 days a week = not recovering every day? Or are you saying the only way to prep for the mountains is to be out there every day for 18 hours a day?

Jon Boy

WKR
I always see a common theme in these threads: guys who don't like to workout think all they need to do is training hikes to be in the best mtn shape. That's a great way to wreck your body. I spent an entire summer lugging a pack and saw around the mtns with zero other work outs. Come hunting season my buddy that had been successfully competing in TTH came out to go hunting with me. I started out stronger but by day 3 he started pulling away and by day 5 he was absolutely wasting me. That's when I knew I needed to start doing more.

Brendan

WKR
Wouldn't hitting the gym 5 days a week = not recovering every day? Or are you saying the only way to prep for the mountains is to be out there every day for 18 hours a day?

No - because you're not working your feet, connective tissues, small stabilizer muscles of your legs the same way at all. You're not toughening your feet to prevent blisters at all. And you're right - there is no possible way to be out there 18 hours a day so it has to be a mix. My advice - leading up to the season - add in the longer runs, longer hikes in wet boots with a pack.

I've finished 3 hunting trips - and what is giving me hell at the end is never my physical conditioning or muscles - it's feet, ankles, lower legs, knees. This is coming from an easterner who rides a desk for a living and does a total body workout in the gym 2-3x a week, mixed with cross training / cardio 2-3x a week year round.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think what he's saying is that you need time on your feet as part of your routine, working out hard an hour/day 5 days a week is great, but adding in (or replacing one of those hour workout) a long run/hike or two to that week will pay big dividends

Obviously everyone responds differently, but I can't help but think that balancing both a good strength regime with a good cardio regime (including some long runs/hike- endurance) offers the best chances of success come fall. If your cardio sessions put you in a similar environ (ie mtns if that's where you hunt) even that much better. Not everyone has the luxury of running/hiking in the mountains whenever they want- but with some work and imagination you can certainly come up with something.

D_Eightch

WKR
Right on guys.

I was just curious on what the tought process was. When the weather cooperates, I will definitely be getting out doing hikes and runs.

For now I feel like crossfit is damn good option. Some days my feet hurt like a SOB after a WOD with a bunch of Power Cleans and Box Jumps or double unders. SOME of these workouts really do tax a lot of the small muscles and connective tissues of your legs/ankles. That's kind of where I was going with my original question. If you are out there stressing your body (muscles, connective tissues cardio) hard 5 days a week with proper recovery, I just don't see how that isn't going to benefit you for the mountains somewhat.
I was just trying to wrap my head around what the hell a guy that lives in the flatlands of North Dakota CAN do to best prepare for the Mountains.

I feel like what a few others have said about using crossfit as a preperation tool rings true. You won't be the best or most prepared for a task (like hiking around mountains with a load, or running a marathon) but it will get you that much closer. I agree that adding in specialized training will benefit anybody that already has a sound fitness program in place. Things I plan to add are Weighted Lunges, Longer distance runs, sprint intervals and some hill climbs. I have the luxury of living in the flood plain, so a lot of the small towns have dikes set up around their perimeter. It will be very boring to walk up and down them, but should give me a good idea since a few of them can be pretty steep.

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider

the point I was making, was that crossfit trains for everything, marathons, hiking, lifting, hunting, snowshoeing, life, mountain biking, etc. I don't have to run 26 miles to prepare to run 26 miles, I don't have to hike for 10 days to prepare to hike for 10 days, I don't have to snowshoe to prepare to snowshoe, etc. I can do crossfit and im ready for it all.
I don't hike to train, Of course I hike all year because I enjoy it, and ends up, it is training, and helps me in the end.
but I do believe if I left the mountain for the last day in September, and didn't return until the following September, and all I trained was crossfit. I would be prepared to crush the mountians. that is my opinion, argue it all day. but I will argue you are wrong :)

btw, I ran a marathon and I did train for it. I back squatted, i did cleans, i did box jumps, i did pull ups, i did double unders, i did muscle ups. i did crossfit ;)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it works for you that's all that matters

for me, to "crush" the mountains, I need to spend some time crushing mountains- different strokes with the same outcome

Brendan

WKR
Probably beating a dead horse here, but likewise - just speaking from experience.

Unlike you, I'm not from Elk country and I can't hike all year. I'm an eastern guy who lives pretty much in the city, desk job, and my primary training is similar to Crossfit. Total body gym workouts, HIIT, stadiums, cross training. I also try to work in as much mileage on my feet as possible leading up to the season. For me that means flat land hikes with a pack in my boots, finding hills where I can, and running longer distances. And, I'm probably in better shape overall than I've ever been and I'm almost 40.

I've gone west three times and at the end of the hunt my feet and lower legs are the only thing that's bothering me other than just being tired. Blisters, and inflammation from not being used to the mileage day after day after day. Crossfit WILL work, especially if you're tough, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved on to make a better program to prep for mountain hunting (like you said - you hike all year too)...

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider
Crossfit works for those who aren't tough too.

TheCougar

WKR
Mountain Athlete. Like crossfit, but it's origins are for, well, mountain athletes. The programming is $30 a month, however, which is too expensive for my blood. It is great for building strength and stamina.