Crossing state lines.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Question for Montana guys. I saw a few vids on You tube where elk hunters were in western Montana and Decided to step over into Idaho. Question is how do they do this legally? Reckon they had tags for both states or does Idaho and Montana have some sort of reciprocation agreement in certain zones? I am not wanting to do this was just curious. I will be in Montana in September somewhere if I get drawn.( currently have 2pts) I tried looking it up but failed to find anything. Thanks Guys.

Didn't see the video so I'm not exactly understanding what they did but would like to ask opinions. What if I was hunting a unit in Colorado that was on the border with Wyoming. Wyoming season is closed but I want to park at a trailhead in Wyoming to access my unit in Colorado? As far as I know there isn't a law that says I am unable to walk in Wyoming with a rifle as long as I am not actively pursuing game in that state correct? Is this scenario different than what happened in the video?

OP
TAGPUNCHER

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Not quite, these guys were backcountry camping and BOWHUNTING elk. The guy said to the other guy that he had heard some bugling across the line. The other dude said " well did you go after them"? He replied no but I am tomorrow. The next day all three guys "stepped into Idaho and killed a bull". They very well could have had tags for the Spud state as well. I don't think so.

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm pretty sure state tags exist for a reason.... cant just buy a tag in colorado and go hunt in new mexico... or i would.... therefore.... yea... thats not legal. However, they may have had an idaho tag as well, we dont know.

OP
TAGPUNCHER

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I figure they did,there wording was just weird. I'm aware of state tag laws. Been playing this game awhile. Just had me curious.

Gerbdog

WKR
Yea for sure, i saw the thread previously and decided not to respond because i wasnt sure i wasnt missing something on the montana / idaho border.... i dont hunt there personally ... but seems unlikely you can cross state lines and kill an elk... but again.... i have no idea where it says you cant do that... but pretty unlikely its allowed, i would guess even if you shot the elk on the montana side and it ran over and died on the idaho side... you better get a hold of a game warden on both sides and talk it out before you go over to retrieve your meat.

rayporter

WKR
there is a guy that lives down the road a mile that actually did that on the Canadian border with Montana. killed an elk over there, too. he was not happy to be hunted down with a helicopter. if fact he was quite mad that they caught him.

OP
TAGPUNCHER

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely would call warden in that case of meat retrieval. And those Choppers are hard to dodge from I would imagine..LOL I wish I could find the video. I would post the clip so you could have reference as to what I'm getting at. I haven't done ANY stepping in the neighbors yard in 30 years or more if ya know what I mean. Having to watch over my shoulder isn't my gig. I hunt now Mainly for the Escape from reality for awhile. Meat is 2nd.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yea I figure they did,there wording was just weird. I'm aware of state tag laws. Been playing this game awhile. Just had me curious.
I know which video you're talking about and they made mention in it, or the other video in that series, that they had tags in both states. Nothing gray area about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk