Crossing State Park Boundary to access BLM

This might be a stupid question for some of you but this is the first time I am encountering this issue. There is a nice chunk of BLM land I have been e-scouting prior to boots on the ground scouting. The only issue is, is that I would have to cross about 300 yards of state park land to access it. Have any of you had to cross non-hunting land to get to a chunk of public land? I obviously would strap my rifle to my pack while crossing so no one would think I was actively trying to hunt while crossing.

MTtrout

WKR
What roadrunner said, best to just call the state park and ask for the manager. The front desk person may have a different answer. You can do it around here but ever situation could be different

def90

WKR
This might be a stupid question for some of you but this is the first time I am encountering this issue. There is a nice chunk of BLM land I have been e-scouting prior to boots on the ground scouting. The only issue is, is that I would have to cross about 300 yards of state park land to access it. Have any of you had to cross non-hunting land to get to a chunk of public land? I obviously would strap my rifle to my pack while crossing so no one would think I was actively trying to hunt while crossing.

Does the state park allow firearms?

Here around Boulder there is a lot of city and county owned open space and mountain parks land that borders usfs land that I would love to be able to cross to get to what I suspect to be good turkey hunting land however the city and county open space absolutely does not allow firearms in any way and they consider a bow a firearm.

grfox92

WKR
I ran into this once in NY. It was a state park. I called and they said there is no law about carrying your bow and equipment through the public park as long as you don't discharge a firearm or hunt within the parks boundaries.

I would just call and check with the governing agency.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I just found the answer to my own question. Per this specific state parks online brochure:

"Licensed hunters are allowed to hunt in-season on adjacent B.L.M. lands"
But it doesn’t say that you can legally carry a weapon through the state park land to access adjacent BLM land.

I spent way too many years working with lawyers…

Several years back there was a Supreme Court decision allowing guns. You just cannot discharge them within the park.

It gets real weird with some of the city and state land - seems like you might've found the answer already, but making a call or two can definitely save you trouble. The BLM office in charge of the region should be able to help or refer you.

Wasn’t that just national parks? The park in question is a state park.
When I presented the ruling to a state park law enforcement officer, he had no problem letting me cross with my rifle, bolt removed as a courtesy. As I recall, the Supreme Court ruling had broad implications. But, I would have to dig it up again, and since I have no plans to cross parkland, I have no motivation to search it out.

MattB

WKR
I took the 2 minutes to check and each state appears to have its own rules in regards to firearms in their parks, so it does not appear the federal rules apply.

Tmac

WKR
Check with the park for their rules. To cross one National Park legally while hunting, I had to remove my bolt. Was only about 1/4 mile, but rules are rules.