Crow Tribe poaching vs Wyoming

brsnow

WKR
Refresh my memory on how the other 8 judges voted.

If we are so worried about the wording of the treaty and honoring our word, then "unoccupied" is a pretty important word. I think we all know how the law works...open to interpretation. This is Wyoming's interpretation. I am sure there will be others that will twist "unoccupied" around. I think common sense could go a long way in this case.

I am not worried about the wording of treaty, there is extensive prior case decisions on treaties.

brsnow

WKR
Who's word? They were given citizenship 60yrs after the treaty was agreed to. If they reject their U.S. citizenship and subsidies I'd be all for it. But they wont and all of us living in the here and now will pay for transgressions of the past, which we had no control over. The liberal utopia is here, and flourishing.

While in the mean time we the citizen just keep taking in the rear. Damn I wish I had some righteous native blood in me........

You could certainly use some righteous of some kind.

JWP58

WKR
The deciding vote was a God fearing conservative. Perhaps less booze and more books might help,

Sorry some of us dont have priviledge and cant read. Thanks for flaunting your W.M. privilege.....#triggered

Now let me tell ya about my howa....ooffta, and my pot belly Wyo pal....deeerp

brsnow

WKR
Sorry some of us dont have priviledge and cant read. Thanks for flaunting your W.M. privilege.....#triggered

Now let me tell ya about my howa....ooffta, and my pot belly Wyo pal....deeerp

#meth

BuzzH

WKR
I'm sure the Wyoming Attorney General and his associates will do a more thorough job than me in putting together our case. It seems to me like the Bighorn National Forest might be occupied.

You need to study up on the Wyoming Attorney General...you know as much about "him" as you do this case.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR

I guess these treaty hunting rights are not uncommon. In Oklahoma the tribe members just get free hunting licenses but still abide by hunting regs. It seems a bit surprising that Wyoming's case made it to the Supreme Court.

I still think Herrera and his group were blatant poachers and didn't know a treaty from a Waffle House menu but once the lawyers grabbed the case and the treaty became the issue Wyoming was going to lose.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PonoHunt

FNG
From the sounds of it, they would be able to hunt in any area for any species. Why would it just be limited to sheep in Unit 12?

From the sounds of it, they would be able to hunt in any area for any species. Why would it just be limited to sheep in Unit 12?
That may be, I just know 12's right next to the res with decent access and a real trophy potential. A lot of money was put into developing that sheep heard and it would be a shame to lose it. Not sure how far there "hunting rights" go. This is a real lose for conservation either way.

On another note.
I'd like to see them go into Yellowstone and unload on some buffalo in mid July, that would get some chit stirred up.

woody6899

FNG
They are US citizens but live in a sovereign nation that is not America.... am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usi05

WKR
Considering he attempted to gain investigation information from a wy g&f warden, which raised suspicion with said warden, resulting in the investigation which uncovered multiple people shooting multiple bulls within Wyoming. Yes that's right HE (Herrera) approached the wy g&f to help by
"sharing notes" about the many poaching cases in the area (he really just wanted to know what kind of investigatory tactics g&f were using, and what leads they had). So if he was as interested in the info g&f had as they stated, it would lead me to believe he knew what he was doing was unlawful. As I stated earlier, his two buddies (or accomplices) plead guilty to poaching.

And yes his first defense was "I didn't know where I was" (ie he, a tribal conservation officer didn't know he was in Wyoming).

But dont let facts get in the way, especially since his majesty hath spoken on the matter.

This is the part that bugs me the most. The game warden caught him trying to pry to see if he was going to be caught. If that doesn’t speak for knowingly doing something illegal then what does?

But, that really has no impact on the actual outcome. Just makes him a slim ball.

Usi05

WKR
I grew up on a reservation in the UP and several of my buddies were ojibwe Members. They also had special hunting privileges but most of my buddies hunted our seasons but with their tribal tags.

There were and still are groups of natives (and some white folks) that primarily killed deer with trucks, spot lights and rifles. I accompanied some friends one night and was blown away by the “sport” of it. I will never understand how these types of “hunting” can be accepted regardless of a treaty.

I don’t have an issue honoring treaty rights but I am certainly intrigued by the occupied land piece of this and would like to see certain parts of these treaties amended to take the “sport killing” type of stuff and make it illegal for all.

KHNC

WKR
Lol elk are over populated????? Hahahaha, no their just saying that bc there is hardly any on their land. Go to kerns wildlife management area and drive North along the fence and towards the Montana line, soon as you leave the management area there is literally no animals in sight. Go onto the reservation and there is no wildlife in sight......

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Same thing i noticed on the res driving from Billings to Sheridan a few times. Not an antelope in sight anywhere until you get off res. Locals said the natives killed EVERYTHING they could on the res, and continue to do so.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates on the 2020 appeal of this? Was remanded back down to the local level for clarification of some specifics and determined that the national forest is not “unoccupied” per a previous court decision, then submitted for appeal again but haven’t heard anything since. Just curious

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like this is headed back to court in Sheridan County this month. Gonna be interesting

Last edited: