Crow Tribe poaching vs Wyoming

In the Bighorns most of them winter on private ground down low. They would not be able to shoot them on private ground.

In Washington state the tribes shoot elk off the winter range. They mostly shoot the bulls so they can sell the antlers. They also make jerky and sell it. For them it is market hunting and they can do it as much as they want. Sorry to hear Wyoming is going to experience the same.

My only wish is that the tribes would use their unlimited authority to shoot predators too! Wolves, lions and bears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Treaty with indigenous people must be stuck to word for word but the 2nd amendment /original constitution is not......fubar.

Fear not the all knowing omnipotent one has spoken, and has declared your thought/opinion is nothing more than a red herring. The smartest man in the world has also graced you with his opinion on the nra, which is odd since it wasnt referenced by anyone except his majesty.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Definitely fair points. Make no mistake, I’m far from a bleeding-heart and have a low tolerance for people who refuse to help themselves. With that said I do believe that unless shown another way, most people will perpetuate what they know: behaviors, beliefs, mindset, etc. I didn’t grow up on a reservation but I grew up in an ass-backwards, Appalachian coal mining community and saw first hand how that plays out.

I have and the opportunity is there and only taken by a few and then with a little hard work they become very successful. College, land to start ranching or farming also many other benefits. One of my best friends is native and his opinion is the reservation needs to go if his people are going to have any chance to make it. Both reservations here would have world class hunting if only most animals were not shot in the head lights and heads cut off. A few try but just not enough people and to big of area to police it properly

Wonder why the guy has a bandage on his face. Probably hiding the Picking marks from the drugs I recon.

Netherman

WKR
I can't wrap my head around the ruling of unoccupied lands. I would think that I could live off the grid / occupy unoccupied lands as they are otherwise unoccupied. The NFS 14 day policy would lead me to believe that they are occupying the land.

204guy

WKR
While this is a horrible ruling for lots of reasons, I cant help but smirk a little at the irony of this happening in WY where if you are a NR you cant hunt a wilderness area without a resident or guide. So the same folks who want to thumb their nose at the rest of us are getting a dose of their own medicine.

At a minimum, it should re-open the door to hunting wilderness diy as a NR.

There's quite a bit of irony here. Even if the tribe can also ignore the motorized wilderness regulations, it's not like there's roads to drive the 97' suburban up. It's not very efficient to run a spotlight off a horse, batteries become a problem. So as has been pointed out the easily accessed roaded areas will be the most effected by far, while the wilderness won't. Other than the reduced population #'s.

Mike7

WKR
The solution to this is going to have to be political. My guess is that Wyoming has some bargaining chips to play.

There are corrupt politicians within tribes just like outside the reservation. That however is not the case with all tribal members. Also, I don't see it as unequal treatment to be able to "keep" your own land and hunting rights. I do however find the idea of reparations, sanctuary cities, etc. reprehensible. This is not that though.

Just about every tribal cemetary that I have ever driven through is full of American flags and celebrated brave veterans. I must admit that it warms my heart.

In Washington a non-tribal person can legally small game hunt on some reservations. I have run into several tribal members while hunting on the reservation over the years. Almost all of them were in their 20s, really nice, drove an old beater car, and looking to get out and hike, and hopefully legally take a mule deer...seemed just like me at that age. My guess is that they were not supporters of some tribal politics.

jspradley

WKR
I do have to wonder what the effect would be if non-tribe members were forced to abide by state and federal game laws even when hunting on tribal lands and not allowed to possess or purchase normally prohibited goods...

That might allow the tribes to maintain their traditional hunting rights but remove the incentive for excess take done to cater to non tribe members

KurtR

WKR
I do have to wonder what the effect would be if non-tribe members were forced to abide by state and federal game laws even when hunting on tribal lands and not allowed to possess or purchase normally prohibited goods...

That might allow the tribes to maintain their traditional hunting rights but remove the incentive for excess take done to cater to non tribe members

What do you mean by purchase prohibited goods? Here non members even with a reservation tag still have to follow all state laws

jspradley

WKR
What do you mean by purchase prohibited goods? Here non members even with a reservation tag still have to follow all state laws

I don't know what lower 48 tribes can sell but alaskan tribes can sell seal fur hats and other "artistic goods"

Might not really be applicable in the lower 48 though

KurtR

WKR
I don't know what lower 48 tribes can sell but alaskan tribes can sell seal fur hats and other "artistic goods"

Might not really be applicable in the lower 48 though

Nope not on either one of the reservations i live beside. I know some can net walleye in minnesota and sell that. Thats why there are lakes there that were once great fishery not any more

They do not follow state game laws on tribal land(or any land the claim is theirs) and they will rape you if you have to cross tribal to get to Private or public land.
Never said you could trespass on their land. Also I was just stating that they get two ram two goat and two moose tags through a drawing. It's not a free for all like some people on here are claiming

ODB

WKR
Just trying to catch up on this one...did Herrera claim he had knowledge of the treaty AT THE TIME he shot the elk, or did they dig this up after? Didn’t he claim he was lost?

BuzzH

WKR
Just trying to catch up on this one...did Herrera claim he had knowledge of the treaty AT THE TIME he shot the elk, or did they dig this up after? Didn’t he claim he was lost?

Irrelevant to the case, but since he lives on a reservation, it would be safe to say he had knowledge about the treaty that placed him there.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Virtually uncontrollable Tribal treaty hunting has decimated elk herds in WA state.
Tribal hunters (IMO "poachers") even take elk right off wintering areas.
Can buy 1/2 elk off Craigslist for a great price
Sometimes about 2x a regular resident tag cost
$$$-Black Market selling of fish & game taken by treaty "rights"
WDFW game police/wardens hands tied. Tribal police enforcement... yeah, right.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Irrelevant to the case, but since he lives on a reservation, it would be safe to say he had knowledge about the treaty that placed him there.

Knowledge of whether the treaty allowed him to hunt OFF the reservation. And I doubt most Indians know the letter of the treaties that affect them; I don’t.

JWP58

WKR

Considering he attempted to gain investigation information from a wy g&f warden, which raised suspicion with said warden, resulting in the investigation which uncovered multiple people shooting multiple bulls within Wyoming. Yes that's right HE (Herrera) approached the wy g&f to help by
"sharing notes" about the many poaching cases in the area (he really just wanted to know what kind of investigatory tactics g&f were using, and what leads they had). So if he was as interested in the info g&f had as they stated, it would lead me to believe he knew what he was doing was unlawful. As I stated earlier, his two buddies (or accomplices) plead guilty to poaching.

And yes his first defense was "I didn't know where I was" (ie he, a tribal conservation officer didn't know he was in Wyoming).

But dont let facts get in the way, especially since his majesty hath spoken on the matter.

204guy

WKR
Is the Monster Muley thread still up with pictures?

Wonder what happens to the 2 accomplices that plead guilty to poaching?

This could have some pretty disastrous effects on the Custer and neighboring BLM lands also.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Never said you could trespass on their land. Also I was just stating that they get two ram two goat and two moose tags through a drawing. It's not a free for all like some people on here are claiming

Trespassing is one thing, land locking a private property and charging owners friends a crossing permit is pretty chicken,?., especially when they didn’t pay for the road.

No moose on southern Ute, just deer, elk, bear and cats.

Nothing like Watching them drive around in Dec shooting deer out of the truck.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not a fan of the Supreme Court decision, but looking at history, the native Americans have been dealt an extraordinarily shitty hand by the US government and they currently do have it pretty rough compared to middle-class America. Federal subsidies don’t exactly provide for a high standard of living. I know it was before all of our lifetimes, but historically speaking, they just recently got screwed over in a major way. No excuse for wanton waste, etc, but let’s keep a little perspective.

Being lazy and waiting on a government handout doesn't help. They don't have it so rough that they can't afford alcohol and custom saddles for horses they never ride....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk