Crow Tribe poaching vs Wyoming

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
They can hunt unoccupied land in the Bighorn National Forest...that's a fact.
Apparently but it took a Supreme Court ruling to determine that fact. Before the ruling the state of Wyoming sure didn't think so.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

USMC-40

WKR
Not a fan of the Supreme Court decision, but looking at history, the native Americans have been dealt an extraordinarily shitty hand by the US government and they currently do have it pretty rough compared to middle-class America. Federal subsidies don’t exactly provide for a high standard of living. I know it was before all of our lifetimes, but historically speaking, they just recently got screwed over in a major way. No excuse for wanton waste, etc, but let’s keep a little perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a tough time with this line of thinking, although I understand the perspective. They lost their land and have been allowed, even promoted to live in a manner that is outside of our ‘normal’ society. The promotion of their lifestyle and the perpetuation of the choosing to do this has landed this result. I still believe in the American dream and it’s ability to raise people who choose to work hard out of bad situations and allow them to rise to their level of potential.

Trr15

WKR
Definitely fair points. Make no mistake, I’m far from a bleeding-heart and have a low tolerance for people who refuse to help themselves. With that said I do believe that unless shown another way, most people will perpetuate what they know: behaviors, beliefs, mindset, etc. I didn’t grow up on a reservation but I grew up in an ass-backwards, Appalachian coal mining community and saw first hand how that plays out.

tdhanses

WKR
I didn’t read all the posts but be interesting to see how anti hunters react. Also be interesting to see if the treaty will be canceled by Congress at some point since that was the stipulation.

Ran into a tribal member last Sept while I was biking the CO Trail and watched as he let a bachelor group of HUGE bucks walk at less than 50 yards. He said he didn’t even know that he could hunt on that treaty until recently and he personally didn’t know of a single other tribal member who took advantage of it. I believe they get a rifle tag for every big game species that’s good for the entirety of hunting season.
this isn't even close to factual

Poser

WKR
They do not follow state game laws on tribal land(or any land the claim is theirs) and they will rape you if you have to cross tribal to get to Private or public land.

This was in unit 71 or 73, not sure which exactly. I’m just going off what he told me, but It was Labor Day weekend so assumed he had a high country mule deer tag. He told me that he gets a rifle tag for 1 of each: elk, deer, sheep, goat and Moose from the start of archery through Nov from some point in the south to as far North as Ouray. I’m not vouching for what he told me, but that’s what he told me. Maybe he was full of BS.

jmez

WKR
Nope, rules are completely different off the reservation and ceded lands.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Well i guess we could all start identifying as native americans and be able to hunt whenever we want lol...stupid ruling by the supreme court...

Good luck with that. You can’t “identify” with a tribe.

Fatcamp

WKR
Nope, rules are completely different off the reservation and ceded lands.

That's what Wyoming thought about it's National Forest in the Bighorns.

Show me a 5/4 liberal SC and this type of stuff will be out of control. Only a matter of time.

I found it interesting the article states Wyoming is overpopulated with elk. I can just about guess one area that isn't.

BuzzH

WKR
I wouldn't be so sure about that. One 5/4 vote away.

Wrong, read the treaty. They ceded all their land that was privately owned and the treaty specified their hunting rights only applied to unoccupied lands. Privately owned lands are occupied...if only obviously.

jmez

WKR
WY thought the ground wasn't ceded. That is a long ways from anything dealing with private ground. There is deeded land all over the reservations. Indians have no claim or right too. They are also the subject too state laws if on deeded ground within the reservation.

Two completely different situations.

Fatcamp

WKR
Wrong, read the treaty. They ceded all their land that was privately owned and the treaty specified their hunting rights only applied to unoccupied lands. Privately owned lands are occupied...if only obviously.
Ya, ya, ya..... Under duress would be my guess.

BuzzH

WKR
WY thought the ground wasn't ceded. That is a long ways from anything dealing with private ground. There is deeded land all over the reservations. Indians have no claim or right too. They are also the subject too state laws if on deeded ground within the reservation.

Two completely different situations.

Wyoming thought wrong, rolled the dice, and lost.

BuzzH

WKR
Red herring...maybe Wayne should have spent more money on lawyers and less on his wardrobe in those clothing stores in Beverly Hills.

Washington co-manages with the tribes. The tribe does not report fishing or hunting harvests to the state, they take over half the elk harvest and it significantly impacts the state hunts as in we have very little opportunity. The forest service and state also provides keys to gates for them.
You thought point creep was bad just wait til there is nothing to draw for.

Co-manage is funny. The tribes idea of management is for them to kill as much as they want and leave nothing for anybody else.