Cuben DCF Flat Tarp Recommendations

Having spent several hours with 3 of us huddled under a cedar tree to escape the rain on a sheep hunt I decided to pack a flat tarp for some protection from rain. Figuring this will only be used for foul weather (and possibly sun) I want to keep things as light as possible. Anyone have any expeerience with the Hyperlite, BearPaw, ZPacks, etc. flat tarps? Thinking an 8x10 would be the size to go with for 3 people. I'm at total rookie when it comes to tarps so feel free to suggest other brands, size, etc. Thanks!

OP
Ohio Darin
Man, there are a ton of DCF options out there for flat tarps, both manufactures and wts. of DCF. Mountain Laurel Designs and Dutch Ware being a couple more that aren't on your list. If you are at all handy, you might want to try a DYI kit and save yourself some $$. Here's a good place to start for DIY. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/dyneema-composite-fabric
Heck yeah. Looking like around $100-ish for what I want to do. Can satisfy the winter-blues to boot. Know any good places to look for tarp details?

If you are a Backpacking light member, you can go on the site and type in under search “MYOG cuben fiber tarp”. There’s a ton of information there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ohio Darin
If you are a Backpacking light member, you can go on the site and type in under search “MYOG cuben fiber tarp”. There’s a ton of information there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am. Thanks for the info.

Shraggs

WKR
I purchased a 10x10 from bear paw. It’s pricey for the .5 but it has many options for set up. Workmanship is not what MLD is for example. But it was only square I could find to buy. With a added patch in center for a
Second pole and more pitch options it’s still under 8 oz. easily a moderate weather shelter for two and a temporary shelter for the uses you described. I also use it as my primary tarp over my hammock when I go that route.

For the weight I’m so glad I have it as an option

OP
Ohio Darin
I purchased a 10x10 from bear paw. It’s pricey for the .5 but it has many options for set up. Workmanship is not what MLD is for example. But it was only square I could find to buy. With a added patch in center for a
Second pole and more pitch options it’s still under 8 oz. easily a moderate weather shelter for two and a temporary shelter for the uses you described. I also use it as my primary tarp over my hammock when I go that route.

For the weight I’m so glad I have it as an option

After looking into DIY, I really won't save but $20 after buying all the materials so just going to buy one. Down to ZPacks and BearPaw based on size I'm looking for and price. They are both pretty equal there. Are you overall happy with the quality of the tarp? Thanks

Shraggs

WKR
Yes I am. Possible zpacks might be a tad better in appearance and symmetry. If I recall, my decision between those two and MLD was a true square 10x10.