Cuben fiber tarps.... what weight should I use?

suchee

FNG
I'm after a Square Flat Tarp, 8.5 by 8.5.

My AO is south coastal BC(rain forest), and the Cascade range(WHistler to be exact).

Hunting season, more interior and cariboo regions. I'm comming from using a Paratarp for solo, and definately need the adaptability of a tarp for the crazy grade variations. I RARELY can find a true flat spot for a tradional tent, let alone a Tipi, unless i pitch right on a logging road. For Hunting season in the interior BC, its much more flat, and i use my sl-5

THis tarp would be for solo trips seeing more use in late spring(bear)and summer for climbing/backpacking trips, and my one big solo hunt end of NOV where there is always snow fall.

My research has narrowed me to these:

Zpacks $230, .50 oz/yd, 7.5oz w guy lines
Hyperlight Mountain Gear $325, .74oz/yd, 10 ounces w line
Bearpaw $265 .74oz/yd, 8x10 10 oz w guy

My question is which weight of cuben to use?
Any experiences with the zpacks .50? I'm leaning that way just to save some money, but will that be prudent? I'm definately an oz counter and know how to take care of delicate SUL gear, but I want a hunters perspective knowing the brutal conditions we can get into.

Some info i've been reading:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Tent-Reviews
Some noteworthy quotes:
HMG
"Due to its simple design, top-tier fabric, world-class construction quality, and the fact that no pole lies underneath the canopy, the most durable shelter is likely the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Square Flat Tarp. The least durable shelter is likely the ZPacks Hexamid Twin Tent. Although the tents tested here are ultralight they will last for at least one 2,000 mile thru-hike"

zpacks tarp
"Durability
This tarp uses the lightest and least durable cuben fiber we’ve tested. It is very strong when pulled horizontally but has poor puncture resistance, particularly when not under tension. Much to our surprise, a small branch from a tree fell on the edge of the tarp (an area that was not pulled particularly tight) and punctured a hole in it!!

The good news is that cuben fiber is so strong that if it gets punctured it is highly unlikely to tear. Field repairs are super fast with duct tape and permanent repairs can be done with cuben fiber repair tape (the $9 ZPacks 13” x 7” 1.43 oz. Patch is the best value), which takes less than five minutes.

Though this tarp is not as durable as others, repairs can be made so easily for so little cost and are so strong that we don’t feel this is a significant drawback."

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
I have never messed with any of Bearpaw's cuben fiber stuff but I have a nest from him for my Oware pyramid tent and just had him sew in a stove jack too. John is a nice guy and does good work from what I can tell. He even threw in some adhesive patch material for my nest after my pup decided to "scratch at the door" to let me know she needed out - duh. I am thinking about picking up a tarp of some sort this spring and I will go thru him most likely.

MattB

WKR
I have a Bear paw 8'x10' which seems nice...having set it up once in the front yard. Given the low weight of cuben, I narrowly selected the thincker material versus the thinner .50 Zpack material to add additional durability.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are a lot of different variants of cuben fiber. The primary differences are in how think the laminate is (which helps in abrasion and stick puncture) and how much dyneema reinforcement is used (which helps in tear strength and stopping tears). The weight differences are very minimal usually on order of less than .2 ounces a yard which on 10 x 10 tarp would equate to less than 2 ounces. Honestly, I'd opt for both if I could, but most of the readily available fabrics are an either or. Personally, I'd opt for better abrasion and puncture, and then make sure reinforcement and stress points are properly reinforced. Cuben does not have the stretch of sil nylon, which is an advantage and a drawback at the same time.
http://seekoutside.com

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I used my Zpacks tarp a bunch last year and I'm really happy with it. I haven't had any trouble with punctures yet.

OP
S

suchee

FNG
Thx everyone,

Justin,
How much of a snow load have you had with it?? Have you used it only in the open or in some thick stuff aswell? For me in my AO, tarping seems to always have some part of it touching bushes, new growth, prickly blackberry,, dead fall, burned out stumps, mostly the edges and with not much pressure... nice clearings are just not an option "most" of the time, again unless I just use the logging road(usually abandoned :)... usually).

BBrown, Bearpaw has the price too on 0.74

Matt B, I'm thinking the same thing

Kevin_T, excellent info.. I thought cuben was the same except for weights

Rucker61

WKR
John at Bearpaw is a great guy with good products and service. He put stovejacks in my SL5 (since sold) and my Mountain Shelter, neither leaked. I also have his Lune 5 tent with a stovejack, and have spent plenty of time standing on his porch talking about tents, tarps and camping. Highly recommended.

One of the tarps Justin posted a pic of is mine. I was actually surprised at the strength of the Cuban Fiber. At first I was worried about pictures, tears, etc. But after using it it seemed just as durable as my tarptent made with silnylon. I never used mine in a thick area. I wouldn't worry about using it in timber though.

Curious why you want a square tarp? I've only used rectangle for a flat tarp but never square.

Branden

OP
S

suchee

FNG
I've only had rectangle tarps as well, until I recently cut down a poly blue tarp to square on the recommendation of some of my climbing buddies.

Square is a diamond, and somewhat easier(less fussing), quicker for storm mode and flying diamond pitch. Less folds to do on my favorite pitches and less material to save some redundant weight. Having it true symmetrical gives me some more options. the versatility of square(diamond) would be better for me as i can hang it over a hammock as well, diagonally with only two tie outs to stake on either side. Alot more to tie out w/ rectangle.

[video=youtube;JxmbR-_rhzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmbR-_rhzw[/video]

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone used this tarp from Hammock Gear tarp?
http://www.hammockgear.com/cuben-fiber-hammock-hex-tarp/
I don't much about tarps, but have a 5.2oz shelter for solo trips is intriguing. I'd partner it with TiGoat bivy. Curious as to how it would compare to the ParaTarp. Certainly a lot lighter.... ??

Specs:
CT1K.08 (.5 ounces per square yard)
10' 10" ridgeline
8' 6" wide
No sewn ridgeline (which means no seam sealing needed)
All guyline reinforcements are bonded and sewn for maximum strength.

charvey9

WKR
My MLD Tipi tarp is .75oz/yd and I think is perfect balance of strength and durability. Its not exactly a square, but measures about 9'x5'x55"tall and weighs 12.5oz. It has held up well for me in snow, wind and rain conditions. On this morning, I actually woke up with a good 2-3" covering the whole tipi before I shook it off.

kickemall

WKR
You may know this but the gear swap on the Backpackinglight forum is a great place to find used cuben tarps at much lower price than new. They come up a lot over there but also go quick. May save you a little cash while you decide if it will work for you.